It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board

• Do I have Scoliosis correction op twice?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #1
    emilymay93xxx
    (female)

emilymay93xxx HB User
    Do I have Scoliosis correction op twice?

I had correction of my Scoliosis in 2012. They went through the side instead of having it down over my back. I recently had a follow up with my Consultant and had some really bad news. I had my x-rays which showed that my curve was coming back. He gave me the option on whether I have a second operation or not. Instead of fusing quarter of my spine like before, the whole of my spine would be fused so I would be less flexible. There are lots of pros and cons to having it done or not and I am really confused about what to do. I have been in so much pain for the last 2 years due to my operation and I have been told the new operation could free me from pain or it could be just that same. So I am just so confused on what is right to do and just wanted some advice and some thoughts please. I would really appreicate it

The following user gives a hug of support to emilymay93xxx:
    Moonstar22 (07-04-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
    Moonstar22
    (female)

Moonstar22 HB UserMoonstar22 HB UserMoonstar22 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Do I have Scoliosis correction op twice?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emilymay93xxx View Post
    I had correction of my Scoliosis in 2012. They went through the side instead of having it down over my back. I recently had a follow up with my Consultant and had some really bad news. I had my x-rays which showed that my curve was coming back. He gave me the option on whether I have a second operation or not. Instead of fusing quarter of my spine like before, the whole of my spine would be fused so I would be less flexible. There are lots of pros and cons to having it done or not and I am really confused about what to do. I have been in so much pain for the last 2 years due to my operation and I have been told the new operation could free me from pain or it could be just that same. So I am just so confused on what is right to do and just wanted some advice and some thoughts please. I would really appreicate it
    I'm so sorry your in pain & I do understand. I had (have) mild scoliosis in my lumbar area, I had a 4 level fusion and total reconstruction, L1 to L5 in Dec 2013. There's no real word to describe the pain. It's like it never ends.
    As for your 2nd surgery, you know you're the only person that can make that decision. As far as helping your pain if you do, it's always a gamble, I say. I was told I had a 70/30% to be in less pain then when I went for a follow up with the surgeon he said 50/50 & it's up to the man upstairs. I wasn't looking for an answer like that! I know there has been some very lucky people who have had successful surgeries like mine. I just wish I could have been one of them. I wish you much luck on your decision and I'll say prayers for you.

Reply Reply

Tags
    back pain, scoliosis, spine