It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board

• How often do you get your scoliosis checked?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
    Rynners
    (female)

Rynners HB User
    How often do you get your scoliosis checked?

I was first diagnosed at age 11. Had a brace for awhile. Could have had surgery, but was right on the borderline of it being an option and being a must and....being 14 at the time that came to light and way too worried about how I looked.....I declined. It didn't change anymore by the time I was 18.

I am 28 yr old now. I do have pain often, it is difficult to stand more then 15-20 mins or the pain is severe in my lower back and hips....and have not had my scoliosis checked in a decade. I know I need to find an orthopedic doctor and have it checked as my body has changed a lot since I was 18....ten years and 3 babies worth...the pregnancies were very painful for my back and hips just as my Dr had told me it would be long ago. I am not sure if my back has changed and I suppose I am fearful that it did. Any tips on finding a good ortho? Or will any do I suppose? The one I had as a child/teen has retired and is out of state.

Anyway, that is my story. How often do you get checked? I like to think being an adult and fully grown it would not change, has yours progressed during adulthood?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
    dragonfly38
    (female)

dragonfly38 HB User
    Re: How often do you get your scoliosis checked?

Hi, I am 44 and was diagnosed with Scoliosis when I was 16. At that time my bones were done growing and a brace would have done nothing. I was told that it was mild and to just keep an eye on it. I did keep an eye on (probably not like I should have) it and never changed much. I would go for physical therapy on and off when it would bother me. Got to my late 30's and had not went to have in checked in years. It really started to bother me. My left side would hurt and go numb in spots and then it went away. My family doctor sent me for an xray and it was now severe scoliosis and I cringed when I looked at my xrays. I am so crooked! Last year two of my discs herniated at the same time! I was in bed almost two week hardly able to walk. I did heal up from that but have still hurt. I would never go to an Orthopedic surgeon. I go to a Neurosurgeon. If my spine has to be messed with and Neurosurgeon will be the only one to touch it because I found out thru an MRI that I also have some spinal cord issues. I was apparently born with a mild case of spina bifida that caused my scoliosis (didn't know that until I was 40) and my spinal cord is messed up a bit. Anway, I go to a really good Neurosurgeon and have had to opinions and they both said the same. Absolutely no scoliosis surgery. They said for as bad as my curve is, my body is compensating for it really well. The neurosurgeon said scoliosis surgery is a major surgery to put someone thru and he will only do it if you at your point in life where you can no longer function and can't walk well. So I go to a really good pain doctor and I get epidural steroid injection for pain where my discs herniated at. It's helps tremendously! I do have Tramadol to take when I need. I also have severe osteoarthrist in my spine from the scoliosis and lots of other stuff caused from the scoliosis.

I live in Michigan and went online and found a Neurosurgeon at the University of Michigan who specializes in adult scoliosis and other spinal deformities like I have. I like him a lot. I also went to my mom's neurosurgeon who is on rated one of the top in the state. Both neurosurgeons gave the same opinion.

It is something I have to live with the rest of my life. The neurosurgeon at U of M said looking at my MRI's my spine has not changed (except for the herniations) in the past 3 years which is a good thing. He said it could get worse and maybe in 5 years I may need surgery but then again, my spine may stay the same and I'll never need surgery. I am very crooked and hate it but as long as I'm not in pain, I'm good with it. My dr is awesome and helps me big time. Because my scoliosis is bad, I now get an MRI done each year or every other year. I just hope it does not get any worse. I am 44 and really don't want to be having huge scoliosis surgery when I'm in my 50s but I've read about people older then me having to have it done.

If I were you, I would go to a Neurosurgeon that specializes in spinal issues. When I first went to the neurosurgeon he did a full MRI, from my brain all the way down (I was in the machine 2 hours). He wanted to make sure my spinal cord was not tethered due to the spina bifida. If you have any questions just ask. My back hurts every day, I'm used to it. Some days more than other but so far I've been 5 weeks without a tramadol but then I had an injection in August and those help a lot!

Reply Reply