It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Self-injury Recovery Message Board

• Help with scars and new cuts?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
    muffin72492
    (female)

muffin72492 HB User
    Help with scars and new cuts?

Can someone please give me some advice, I used to cut really bad and stopped maybe a few months ago I still slip but I am getting better. Anyway I think my scars are maybe at the oldest around 2-3 years, anyway is there anyway to get rid of them. And when I asked before on a different board they said if I didn't want scars I shouldn't have cut, but at the time it was my only solution to my problems. But, can anyone please help with this? I've heard vitamin e can actually make scars dissapear but I've also heard it can make them worse or not do anything at all, I really don't know what to do. My scars aren't very red anymore some are slightly pink and raised while others are just strange I don't really know how to describe them but they're not keloids or whatever those are called, can you do anything for white scars though? And when I do slip is theyre anyway to prevent the cut from scarring? I tried using that scar zone and that mederma stuff but they didn't work for me at least not well. I have also heard silicone sheeting helps a lot with scars but I really don't know what to do, if you guys could help I'd appreciate it so much. I'm sorry if this was such a long post and didn't make much sense but I'm really depressed about this, thanks guys.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
    DaisyAlba
    (female)

DaisyAlba HB User
    Re: Help with scars and new cuts?

Oh muffin I'm so sorry for you, it sounds like the people on the other board were really harsh. I hate my scars so much, they're ugly, but I know what you mean- sometimes nothing else helps. Vit E cream is really good, even better if you can get it in an oil. Dermablend do a great range of cover up makeup for scars, birth marks etc. You can get a sample pallete online which will help you decide if it works for you and what shade is best.
    I duno if I'm allowed to write this here, but I just hope the Mods realise that I'm trying to keep you safe, not encouraging you. Anyway, never cut over the same area and try not to cut too deep. I used to cut really deep but found stopping hard, so I try to make light, superficial scratches instead which clear up much quicker.
    As for your pale scars, unfortunetly I've never come across anything to help them except maybe a bit of cover up to blend them in with your skintone.

Good luck

Old 04-09-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
    flinch
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flinch HB User

I read an old post like this and hear that cuticle cream is wonderful for old scars, paint it on as you would your nails and massage it in. I don't think it's wrong to ask how to ease them, scars can be a painful reminder on the road to recovery.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:54 AM   #4
    muffin72492
    (female)

muffin72492 HB User

Thanks for replying you guys you have no idea how much it means to me . Flinch you said cuticle cream does it have to be a certain brand or have any specific ingredients or just any thing might work? I think I'll try vitamin e capsules and then cuticle cream not at the same time though. I have also heard about this oil I think its called Tatamu or something like that. I've heard it does wonders for any kind of skin problem. I think I've also heard good things about honey and vitamin k not sure though, do you guys know about these things? Again thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it!

Old 04-10-2006, 03:40 AM   #5
    flinch
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flinch HB User

As far I'm aware more cuticle creams will work, they're desiceded to sften calloused skin. I think you can get vitamin E based ones so that might be worth looking into. I don't know about honey but from what I've heard of it vitamin k could work. I looked about and found an old thread on this, (Red Scars is the title) and they talk about dermablend (a cover up) and vitamin e in gel cap form. You can't use dermablend over vitamin e though because the oliyness stops it from taking properly. Never heard of Tatamu, what does that do?

Old 04-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
    muffin72492
    (female)

muffin72492 HB User

I'll look into it flinch. Tatamu Oil I think is from a tree in Tahiti and people there discovered it like 1000 years ago. Supposedly its helpful for a number of things, burns, cut, bed sores, scars, I think some use it for colds too but in different form, so I'm thinking I'll look into buying that too, I just hope vitamin e will at least makes the scars that are still really visible look like my other ones wich are basically just white so theyre not very noticeable. Thanks again for your help!

Closed Thread