It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Share Your Depression Story Message Board

Vehicle accident, PTSD & Depression (after it all)

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
person672
(male)

person672 HB User
Vehicle accident, PTSD & Depression (after it all)

Hi all,

Thought I'd share, in case it helps anyone.

I was a physically fit 33 year old when I had a vehicle accident which caused a shattered pelvis, hip and leg. The recovery required:

25 hours of surgery
18 months on crutches
5 months rehab'
12 months physio
Being taught how to walk again

When I was in hospital and once I had been moved from the ICU, I had many break downs. The nurses were great. I would sometimes press the 'help' button, they would come and ask what was wrong and I just repeated, "help me, just help me", with tears flowing. They normally sedated me and I was fine the next morning and then for a few days.

After 12 months of trying to distract myself (learning new things, etc.), I started having panic attacks and flashbacks (these were embarrassing). I had 20 sessions with a counsellor who 'fixed' me very well and I only suffer from getting a bit emotional when there's a film on which reminds me of certain parts. For example the Captain Phillips film, at the end where he's panicking while being taken care of.

I went on Anti-depressants oddly on the 3.5 year mark, when the combination of legal battles, lack of girlfriend, work stress and physical pain was too much to bear. I was prescribed 20mg citalopram per day to start with. I voluntarily reduced this to 10mg as I was too...the only word would be emotionless. Just to summarise:

It took 14 days to notice something was going on in my brain (but I didn't mind)
I was on 20mg for 1.5 months.
I spent 1.5 months on 10mg

I then took myself off them all together as they affect libido and I really wanted a girlfriend after a long absence.

So that's it really. If you're going through some bad stuff, I really do feel for you. I found it better to only confide in a few very close people and that was it, included was my ex-girlfriend who went through the horrible trauma of the accident. I felt for her because there were doubts about my survival for about 4 days before I 'pulled through', during that time she barely slept.

Best of luck to you, it really will get better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread