It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Share Your Pain Management Story Message Board

• Pain story - just getting started

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
    Spinekid
    (male)

Spinekid HB User
    Smile Pain story - just getting started

Hey guys, new member and thought I'd post my story in an attempt to introduce myself relevantly to the forum. I'm a 19-year-old student living in NYC and have always had a number of different medical problems through my life.

I've suffered from depression and anxiety (as well as secondary problems such as insomnia) since I was 14, and due to the severity I started taking meds. I've been fortunate enough to be able to see some of the best doctors in my city, and have never found my treatment to be challenging - until my chronic pain became unbearable, that is.

In 2010, I was diagnosed with severe psoriasis, an autoimmune disorder that causes your skin to scale, peel, itch like hell, crack and bleed, etc. I tried every treatment option available but it continued to cover more and more of my skin surface to the point where it was about 70% of my skins surface area. As a result, I knew I had to go on biologic immunosuppressants, and was started on stelara. It cleared my skin incredibly well, although it clearly didnt solve all my autoimmune issues...

Around 18 months ago, I began to experience more frequent and severe pain episodes than usual. My other issues were under control, so I started to realize just how bad the pain could get as I began "reintegrating" myself into normal life after hiding out due to my disgusting skin. My lower back pain was severe to the point it made my heart rate and bp skyrocket at times, and in the months that followed, my joints in the knees, hips, and overall spine began to ache with stabs of pain more and more.

My rheumatologist diagnosed me with psoriatic arthritis and started me on mobic (meloxicam) to help, but that did nothing. I was referred to 3 other physicians over the next few months, each saying basically the same thing: "It sounds like you're exaggerating this and that you're fine physically, just another basket case." I had lost all hope of getting my life back under my own control, as the pain had taken over almost completely. I didn't want to see friends or go out because it meant walking - aka more pain. I couldn't concentrate on anything and felt like my brain was like an armless opponent of a dodgeball team, getting hit over and over with no way to avoid it.

5 weeks ago, I finally had some success with a neurosurgeon I saw at Mt Sinai hospital. I was out of hope, and went to the appointment mostly because I decided I'd just take things into my own hands if he was the same as all the others. Anyways, I was wrong. He was Incredibly kind, listened to all of my issues intently, and ordered an X-ray to check out my scoliosis. We went over it and I was shocked by what I saw. I had nearly a 40 degree lumbar scoliosis and about a 29 degree thoractic scoliosis to compensate for the first. He referred me to a pain mgmt facility he works with closely and respects, and I will be getting an MRI tomorrow before seeing the neurosurgeon again Tuesday to go over it.

So far, the only medication for pain I've been prescribed has been Percocet 5/325 up to 4x daily which was rxd by the pain mgmt dr I was referred to. I am disappointed in the Percocet as I thought it'd be way more effective than I've found it to be. It's like I'm taking an Advil for a headache, if you know what I mean; it takes "the edge off," but in all seriousness, a severe headache isn't going to be helped much by some Advil.

I'm just starting to regain my hope in this process of trying challenges, both physically and emotionally, as well as the stigma that comes with being on pain meds at a young age. Still, the irony is that I feel almost as if I need to tattoo my scans onto my forehead in order for people to take me seriously. The way I've been treated by most drs through this process has been awful, with almost all dismissing me with distain as a drug seeker.

Anyways, thanks for listening to my story if you actually read it all. Feel free to send me a message if you'd like to chat more!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Spinekid
    buff418 (09-26-2013),ctrue (08-19-2013)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Spinekid For This Useful Post:
    cmccampbell1970 (08-27-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    back, doctor, medication, pain, spine