HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Shingles (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/shingles/)
-   -   Shingles and heart attack symptoms (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/shingles/1025195-shingles-heart-attack-symptoms.html)

birder1ca 09-12-2016 10:51 AM

Shingles and heart attack symptoms

Greetings,

I am a healthy 46 male runner that had been just diagnosed with shingles in the chest region. Last Tuesday, I thought that I was having a heart attack and was taking my last breathe. The onset was so severe and real, I am still trying to get over this traumatic event! Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this sort of Shingles symptoms.

If so, how long did it take for recover?

Many thanks,

R

SOE 09-12-2016 11:01 AM

Re: Shingles and heart attack symptoms

Hi Birder, welcome to the boards! :wave:

When my shingles started, it was a sharp pain in my lower back. I had no idea what it was, but it felt like someone was stabbing me. It was so painful it knocked the wind out of me. I still made the mistake of not going right to the doctor because I didn't know what it was. Then I thought I got some weird spider bite... 4 days later I had to go to the ER because I couldn't stand the pain and found out it was shingles. I was in major pain for several weeks. And it took me months to recover completely. Norco helped me a lot. Gabapentin made everything worse. (Just my experience.)

Have you seen a doctor and taken the antiviral medication?

[QUOTE=birder1ca;5432701]Greetings,

I am a healthy 46 male runner that had been just diagnosed with shingles in the chest region. Last Tuesday, I thought that I was having a heart attack and was taking my last breathe. The onset was so severe and real, I am still trying to get over this traumatic event! Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this sort of Shingles symptoms.

If so, how long did it take for recover?

Many thanks,

R[/QUOTE]

birder1ca 09-12-2016 11:12 AM

Thanks so much for your insight. Much appreciated! Yes, I was taken to ER and none of the docs knew what the sudden appearance of the rash was...my family doc diagnosed me and I was put on antiviral immediately..I am on day 6 of antiviral meds. At least I had the meds administered within 12 hours of the rash appearing..however, the shingles was present at least a week prior to any rash appearing.

Thanks again...:angel:

SOE 09-12-2016 11:22 AM

I'm surprised the ER docs didn't recognize the rash. I'm glad you got quick treatment though -- that's the key.

Take care and let us know how you are doing.

[QUOTE=birder1ca;5432709]Thanks so much for your insight. Much appreciated! Yes, I was taken to ER and none of the docs knew what the sudden appearance of the rash was...my family doc diagnosed me and I was put on antiviral immediately..I am on day 6 of antiviral meds. At least I had the meds administered within 12 hours of the rash appearing..however, the shingles was present at least a week prior to any rash appearing.

Thanks again...:angel:[/QUOTE]