It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board

• Shingles and heart attack symptoms

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #1
    birder1ca
    (male)

birder1ca HB User
    Cool Shingles and heart attack symptoms

Greetings,

I am a healthy 46 male runner that had been just diagnosed with shingles in the chest region. Last Tuesday, I thought that I was having a heart attack and was taking my last breathe. The onset was so severe and real, I am still trying to get over this traumatic event! Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this sort of Shingles symptoms.

If so, how long did it take for recover?

Many thanks,

R

The following user gives a hug of support to birder1ca:
    SOE (09-12-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
    Re: Shingles and heart attack symptoms

Hi Birder, welcome to the boards!

When my shingles started, it was a sharp pain in my lower back. I had no idea what it was, but it felt like someone was stabbing me. It was so painful it knocked the wind out of me. I still made the mistake of not going right to the doctor because I didn't know what it was. Then I thought I got some weird spider bite... 4 days later I had to go to the ER because I couldn't stand the pain and found out it was shingles. I was in major pain for several weeks. And it took me months to recover completely. Norco helped me a lot. Gabapentin made everything worse. (Just my experience.)

Have you seen a doctor and taken the antiviral medication?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by birder1ca View Post
    Greetings,

I am a healthy 46 male runner that had been just diagnosed with shingles in the chest region. Last Tuesday, I thought that I was having a heart attack and was taking my last breathe. The onset was so severe and real, I am still trying to get over this traumatic event! Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this sort of Shingles symptoms.

If so, how long did it take for recover?

Many thanks,

R

Old 09-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
    birder1ca
    (male)

birder1ca HB User

Thanks so much for your insight. Much appreciated! Yes, I was taken to ER and none of the docs knew what the sudden appearance of the rash was...my family doc diagnosed me and I was put on antiviral immediately..I am on day 6 of antiviral meds. At least I had the meds administered within 12 hours of the rash appearing..however, the shingles was present at least a week prior to any rash appearing.

Thanks again...

Old 09-12-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

I'm surprised the ER docs didn't recognize the rash. I'm glad you got quick treatment though -- that's the key.

Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by birder1ca View Post
    Thanks so much for your insight. Much appreciated! Yes, I was taken to ER and none of the docs knew what the sudden appearance of the rash was...my family doc diagnosed me and I was put on antiviral immediately..I am on day 6 of antiviral meds. At least I had the meds administered within 12 hours of the rash appearing..however, the shingles was present at least a week prior to any rash appearing.

Thanks again...

Reply Reply

Tags
    chest pain, heart attack, shingles