It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board

• Shingles

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-18-2016, 04:18 AM   #1
    newlinda
    (female)

newlinda HB User
    Question Shingles

Hello,I woke up to a swollen left side of my face. I went to my Dr. and was diagnosed as having Shingles. I'm on medication but I wanted to talk with people who have had this virus. Right now I'm writing with one eye swollen shut and left side of face swollen and burning red. I wondered how you take care of your face as far as washing and moisturizer.
    Thank you,Linda

The following user gives a hug of support to newlinda:
    SOE (11-06-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
    Re: Shingles

Hi Linda, welcome to the boards.

I'm so sorry I missed your post. How are you feeling now?

Old 11-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
    wahini2024
    (female)

wahini2024 HB User

Hope you're feeling better!

Last edited by wahini2024; 11-06-2016 at 04:57 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to wahini2024 For This Useful Post:
    SOE (11-07-2016)
    Old 10-16-2020, 08:59 PM   #4
    worriertwo
    (male)

worriertwo HB User

Updating this old post with my recent experience. In my 50's, had an itchy spot just above right eyebrow. Really itched for a few days, was red and got bigger. thought it was a bug bite. Saw family dr on day 4 who thought it could be an infection so prescribed antibiotics. 2 days later saw dermatologist. Developed a painful lymph node in front of right ear and mild intermittent headache in right forehead. She looked closely using a magnifying glass and scraped a sample. Based on the appearance and distribution of the headache, dx was shingles pending PCR confirmation, and was prescribed Valtex 1000mg 3x day for 7 days. The bumps also spread close to the corner of my eye at that point. Still very itchy. Next day saw ophthamologist who looked at eyes through scope after adding yellow drops and both were fine. Over the next 2 days, right eyelid and area above and below eye socket swelled like I was punched in the eye and sacks of fluid developed below my lower eye lash. Eye was 3/4 swollen shut. Went back to ophthamologist who looked at eyes again and both still fine. 36 hours later, swelling is nearly gone, bumps drying up and only half way through the Valtrex. Still waiting for official shingles test result. HSV 1 & 2 tests were negative so most likely shingles. I am writing this to inform others that shingles is NOT ALWAYS a painful trunk rash. The eye dr's nurse said they are seeing more and more people getting it around the eye. The derm said her husband had it on his back as a small itchy spot. So in my case, 5 days of poor sleep due to itching (never scratched it) and swelling around the eye but no eye involvement and almost no pain - very mild headache and some occasional mild burning nerve pain down to my nose. you can use 1% OTC hydrocortisone or lidocaine cream but not much else for the itch. They say antivirals really only work best when taken within 48 hours of onset. I started after 5 days. So whether the normal unabated course of the virus took 9 days or whether it was shortened by the Valtrex, I cannot say. However, the derm did say that taking it even after 5 days from onset might help prevent post-herpetic neuralgia so it was still recommended. I also had lots of people praying for me and am very thankful for the progress to this point. I recommend getting the shingles vaccine if you've had chickenpox.

The following user gives a hug of support to worriertwo:
    SOE (10-17-2020)
    The Following User Says Thank You to worriertwo For This Useful Post:
    SOE (10-17-2020)
    Old 10-17-2020, 04:01 PM   #5
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Thank you for sharing. I hope that you heal completely and quickly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by worriertwo View Post
    Updating this old post with my recent experience. In my 50's, had an itchy spot just above right eyebrow. Really itched for a few days, was red and got bigger. thought it was a bug bite. Saw family dr on day 4 who thought it could be an infection so prescribed antibiotics. 2 days later saw dermatologist. Developed a painful lymph node in front of right ear and mild intermittent headache in right forehead. She looked closely using a magnifying glass and scraped a sample. Based on the appearance and distribution of the headache, dx was shingles pending PCR confirmation, and was prescribed Valtex 1000mg 3x day for 7 days. The bumps also spread close to the corner of my eye at that point. Still very itchy. Next day saw ophthamologist who looked at eyes through scope after adding yellow drops and both were fine. Over the next 2 days, right eyelid and area above and below eye socket swelled like I was punched in the eye and sacks of fluid developed below my lower eye lash. Eye was 3/4 swollen shut. Went back to ophthamologist who looked at eyes again and both still fine. 36 hours later, swelling is nearly gone, bumps drying up and only half way through the Valtrex. Still waiting for official shingles test result. HSV 1 & 2 tests were negative so most likely shingles. I am writing this to inform others that shingles is NOT ALWAYS a painful trunk rash. The eye dr's nurse said they are seeing more and more people getting it around the eye. The derm said her husband had it on his back as a small itchy spot. So in my case, 5 days of poor sleep due to itching (never scratched it) and swelling around the eye but no eye involvement and almost no pain - very mild headache and some occasional mild burning nerve pain down to my nose. you can use 1% OTC hydrocortisone or lidocaine cream but not much else for the itch. They say antivirals really only work best when taken within 48 hours of onset. I started after 5 days. So whether the normal unabated course of the virus took 9 days or whether it was shortened by the Valtrex, I cannot say. However, the derm did say that taking it even after 5 days from onset might help prevent post-herpetic neuralgia so it was still recommended. I also had lots of people praying for me and am very thankful for the progress to this point. I recommend getting the shingles vaccine if you've had chickenpox.

Reply Reply