It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board

• Shingles length of time and intense pain

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-23-2017, 04:06 AM   #1
    lintek55
    (female)

lintek55 HB User
    Shingles length of time and intense pain

Hi,
    anyone else out there with the case of shingles? We just got dropped on our area 6-12" of snow, and I shoveled a lot. so I associated this very strange intense pain I was having in my chest a possible heart attack. I'm 56 yrs old, soon to be 57 in a few months and I'm a smoker, unfortunately.

I was afraid to mention it to my significant other because he was upset with me for shoveling to begin with. I'm a stubborn woman and like to do what I like to do.

It all began with that pain in my deep inner chest which ran out to my back and I had been having this intense itch at the top of my back smack in the middle where the spine is. that was going on for a week or so on and off.

so the day I decided to take off my clothes in the bathroom and look in the mirror is when I saw this red rash going in a direction of a line that followed a muscle I thought. It started at the first bone at top of spine and led under the armpit, into my lymph nodes and outer rim of breast. It itched like crazy. I scratched it like a fool. yes.
    I NEVER ever thought I"d get shingles because I get strange rashes on and off about 3x's a year. but I knew something was wrong with this deep inner pain that shot out to my back all day long and for a few days.
    I went to my Dr. and he took one look at it and said it was shingles and he gave me this nerve pain called gabapentin so nerves don't get damaged and a viral medication.
    I could NOT even drive when I took the gaba it made me so dizzy. my 30 yr old son told me NOT to take it because the body gets so used to it that when you come off it you suffer full blown withdrawal and feel horrible. So I stopped that med.
    I feel horribly weak to begin with!!! . my legs feel like lead walking up the stairs. that's another symptom of shingles. weakness. I didn't know I was supposed to be resting and trying to be stress free. being it was the stress that caused it.
    My sister died suddenly back in Oct. of 2016 and I've been the executor of her estate and with this responsibility comes stress..

How does one avoid stress so one can heal up and how long does it take for this horrible pain to stop waking me up in the night and early mornings?? he didn't give me any pain medicine. so I take a pill for arthritis pain that my rheumy dr gave me. it's an NSAID

Any home remedy or quick fix of healing up faster?
    I wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemy. I have so much that has to be done and I feel guilty lying in bed resting up so it will go away.

The following user gives a hug of support to lintek55:
    boobootwo (03-26-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
    Re: Shingles length of time and intense pain

I'm sorry you got Shingles. It's very important to rest and stay stress free -- as much as is possible. I remember it being so exhausting. I was off work for a month, and it wasn't long enough. I was taking Norco for pain which really helped a lot. Maybe you could ask about it. I also used Lidocaine (prescription) once the blisters healed -- that helps a lot with the nerve and muscle pain.

I did take Gabapentin for awhile and realized that when I couldn't remember driving home from work, that it was a bad drug. It also caused other side effects and I would never recommend it to anyone.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:31 AM   #3
    lintek56
    (female)

lintek56 HB User

Thank you for your quick reply. I took the advice of resting but the break through pain was unbearable. I almost called my Dr to tell him to PLEASE rx some type of pain Med like you suggested. Just when you feel you're getting better, that deep pain under the breast shoots into what feels like a heart attack or a lung problem. I can't distinguish where or how it exactly feels. I pray this weakness doesn't last a month. thank you again.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:11 AM   #4
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

If you don't want to take any pain meds, I still recommend the Lidocaine. It's a cream. It penetrates the skin and goes down to the nerve endings. It really helped me tremendously with my back pain. (My shingles started on my spine.)

I hope you heal quickly.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:14 AM   #5
    boobootwo
    (female)

boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User

My sister, unfortunately, after my mothers death, developed shingles, right smack in her privates and lower butt area. The time it takes to heal depends on the area. My sister couldn't work for 2 weeks as she worked in an office but couldn't sit down. I believe she had the pain for about 2 months, but not as severe as the first few weeks. I'm a major stressor. Type A personality big time and I'm shocked that I haven't had them. I lost 4 family members and 4 pets within a 5 year span and I guess, the time that it took as the executor to take care of everything kept my mind busy with other things than my own issues. I suffer sjogrens syndrome and fibromyalgia. Lyrica is also a nerve pain remedy. Maybe you should try that. Even the rubs that you can get for pain may help, but you would have to ask your gp if you could put it on the affected skin. Hope this helped. Keep your mind busy and make sure you get lots of rest.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-21-2017 at 09:58 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to boobootwo For This Useful Post:
    SOE (03-26-2017)
    Old 03-26-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I was off work for 4 weeks, but honestly should have stayed off longer. I was still in a lot of pain and so exhausted. I should have just rested longer. I wonder if because I did that, that's why my pain lasted for so long.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #7
    etrilicious
    (male)

etrilicious HB User

Hello am 22years old and i have shingles am on medication, aciclovir cream and flucloxacillia drug. Its the 5th day now and the blisters are or really big at my back and getting black, its really painful at night. Please is it normal or do I have to get admitted?.

The following user gives a hug of support to etrilicious:
    SOE (04-28-2017)
    Old 04-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #8
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Welcome to the boards

I'm so sorry you got shingles, it's awful. I think you should ask your doctor for pain medication. When I went to the emergency room (because I did not know what I had) they immediately gave me a morphine shot and prescribed pain medication -- which my doctor continued.

There is no reason for you to suffer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by etrilicious View Post
    Hello am 22years old and i have shingles am on medication, aciclovir cream and flucloxacillia drug. Its the 5th day now and the blisters are or really big at my back and getting black, its really painful at night. Please is it normal or do I have to get admitted?.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:31 AM   #9
    etrilicious
    (male)

etrilicious HB User

Thanks for the reply. But the blisters getting big and black is it normal?

Old 04-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #10
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by etrilicious View Post
    Thanks for the reply. But the blisters getting big and black is it normal?
    That part I don't know. It certainly would not hurt to go back to the doctor and have him/her look at them. And then you could get the pain medication at the same time. I always think it's better to go to the doctor if there is any question of what's going on.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:09 PM   #11
    Bennyk
    (male)

Bennyk HB User

Hi, sorry about your suffering, I am on my 6 or 7th week.The blisters healed ok and now it's the red spots.I am taking the Gabpentin and Tramadol, which helps with the pain but makes me very loopy, dizzy and tired.

I applaud those of you that went back to work , it was much too painful for me, So I havebeen staying hope all this time. Today is the first day I could wear a shirt while out as my skin was too sensitive to touch.

I am tired and dizzy all the time.
    I went to my primary but switched to my neurologist as I figured its a neurological disease and primary I will fire her after this is over.

Now I have a sweet spot from about 12 pm to about 4 or 5 where I can get out of the house for short trips to market or CVS.

Not sure how long this will last, but I am not a fan of pain so I take my meds.I have though cut down on the Tramadol, and try to only take half a pill before I go to sleep, as the sleep is very precious.

Lidocaine topical does give some immediate relief, I think I should have bought stock in the company, lol

I am wondering how to get my strengh back As I feel weak,If you have any feedback for this , it's appreciated, Good healing everyone

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Bennyk
    SOE (03-08-2020)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Bennyk For This Useful Post:
    SOE (03-08-2020)
    Old 03-08-2020, 12:54 PM   #12
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Benny, welcome to the boards.

It took a long time for me to get my strength back. The best thing you can do for yourself is be patient with yourself, get as much rest as you can, and eat well. I hope you heal quickly.

Soe

Reply Reply