It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board

• First shingles outbreak - genitals!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
    betsy66
    (female)

betsy66 HB User
    First shingles outbreak - genitals!

Sorry to be so graphic, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced shingles around the genitals?

I've never had shingles before but based on my symptoms that must be what is going on, and I'm going to go to a doctor because I am soooo uncomfortable!

It started in a strange way. Last week, I decided to bathe and shave my pubes in anticipation of sex with my husband. I sort of overdid shaving my labia and back towards my butt because I could still feel stubble. Later, we had sex, and I became aware of discomfort where I had shaved. Then I even had discomfort with penetration. I told my DH I was sore so could we finish up. The next morning I felt very sore around my labia and even my clitoris was hypersensitive/painful! Later, I felt itching at the base of my spine right at the top of my butt crack, so I began to itch the spot and felt shooting pain - hurt soooo bad! I look in the mirror and find some rash patches there, one about the size of a silver dollar central and then another slightly smaller one off to the left side of it. I found another rash patch on the back of my left thight. I have since found more rash on my left inside buttock near my vagina, and my labia and **** are extremely painful with contact with underwear etc. I can feel lumps (blisters?) under the skin at the base of my labia.

I also experienced pain within my left knee, sort of throbbing, though I knew I hadn't injured myself. I also had a burning pain within my left thigh. Those symptoms have ceased, but the rashes and burning and hyper-sensitivity are still very bad. I couldn't sleep last night, couldn't find a comfortable position and had shooting pain in my crotch! I can deal with the ones at the base of my spine, but the crotch area is just impossible. I had to get up and waddle around outside to distract myself in the middle of the night. I finally had to take benedryl, ibuprofen, tramadol, and drink some milk to finally over-ride the pain and fall asleep.

My dad had shingles once about 30 years ago. I am alarmed at how many people on the forums have had fairly frequent recurrences. I am freaked out over the idea that this could happen again and again in these same areas, because having it in the crotch is really just too much!

In the past I have shaved down there and had a similar reaction around the labia but that was the only spot and it went away fairly quickly, so I never thought much of it, but maybe that was an actual attack and I just didn't realize it.

I will surf the forum for answers - not sure what I'm asking here other than to say this is happening to me and I'm freaked out about it, but nice to know this group is here for support.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
    gina101
    (female)

gina101 HB User
    Re: First shingles outbreak - genitals!

I can't imagine the pain of having Shingles in the area you have. I had the pain in my right knee and hip and right side of my butt before any rash appeared, so Shingles was my last thought once the rash appeared, thought i had a allergic reaction to some bug bite. The rash appeared everywhere i had the pain except the knee, but did have rash behind my knee. I hope in your case, its not Shingles, i can tell you i have severe pain and burning with my rash, now its turning into blisters. Good luck!

Old 11-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
    Muddy Feet
    (male)

Muddy Feet HB User

My shingles started about the same time that yours did. Mine is in the same area, allowances made for opposite gender.

I'm starting to see real improvement; pain/numbness decreasing. I hope to soon be able to have sex again.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
    Muddy Feet
    (male)

Muddy Feet HB User

My shingles started about the same time that yours did. Mine is in the same area, allowances made for opposite gender.

I'm starting to see real improvement; pain/numbness decreasing. I hope to soon be able to have sex again.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
    Muddy Feet
    (male)

Muddy Feet HB User

It's taken months but now I'm back to nearly normal. I still have scarring but who cares down there.

Sexual function is nearly normal. I take gabapentin, amyltryptaline for pain and valacyclovir to prevent another outbreak.

I'd say that my pain level is about a one.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muddy Feet View Post
    It's taken months but now I'm back to nearly normal. I still have scarring but who cares down there.

Sexual function is nearly normal. I take gabapentin, amyltryptaline for pain and valacyclovir to prevent another outbreak.

I'd say that my pain level is about a one.

I'm glad you are feeling better. I am on day 29 of shingles and still in great pain. How much Valacyclovir are you taking? They only gave it to me for 7 days in the very beginning. Wondering if I should ask about it?

Old 02-28-2015, 02:23 AM   #7
    neuroproblem
    (male)

neuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SOE View Post
    I'm glad you are feeling better. I am on day 29 of shingles and still in great pain. How much Valacyclovir are you taking? They only gave it to me for 7 days in the very beginning. Wondering if I should ask about it?
    You know theres a slight difference between acyclovir and valcyclovir, acylcovir acts as soon as it enters your blood stream. valcyclovir needs to be metabolized by the liver so it stays in your system longer.

The Following User Says Thank You to neuroproblem For This Useful Post:
    SOE (02-28-2015)
    Old 03-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
    Muddy Feet
    (male)

Muddy Feet HB User

I'm taking 500 mg. Valacyclovir per day.

The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy Feet For This Useful Post:
    SOE (04-16-2015)
    Old 03-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #9
    neuroproblem
    (male)

neuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muddy Feet View Post
    I'm taking 500 mg. Valacyclovir per day.
    Reoccurance of shingles are pretty rare but do happen, in people with weakened immune system. More and more younger people, younger than 40 are getting shingles now, i had it when i was 20. I have heard childrens getting as soon as they had they chickenpox, but they usually dont suffer neuralgias though. so if you had acute shingles, like right when you notice it appearing, take acyclovir, and then valcyclovir.

Last edited by neuroproblem; 03-04-2015 at 12:38 PM.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #10
    JennJones
    (female)

JennJones HB User

Hi Betsy66,
    I feel your pain, Four years in one place I felt what seemed to be a cut in my minor labia. I have been recently tested for all STDs and all came back negative. This what seemed as a cut from shaving occurred every few months, but now has lasted over a week, so am headed to my Gyno on Friday. It is so painful and my stomach is also cramping, so I think it may be shingles. Not sure though. How do they diagnose it?

Mizpah,
    Jenn

Old 02-11-2016, 08:40 PM   #11
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JennJones View Post
    Hi Betsy66,
    I feel your pain, Four years in one place I felt what seemed to be a cut in my minor labia. I have been recently tested for all STDs and all came back negative. This what seemed as a cut from shaving occurred every few months, but now has lasted over a week, so am headed to my Gyno on Friday. It is so painful and my stomach is also cramping, so I think it may be shingles. Not sure though. How do they diagnose it?

Mizpah,
    Jenn
    Hi Jenn,

Welcome to the boards.

You are replying to an old thread so Betsy may not respond.

They can diagnose you just by looking at the rash. I hope it's not shingles and I hope whatever it is, they take care of quickly and easily and painlessly!

Take care,

Old 08-30-2016, 12:50 AM   #12
    jacony
    (female)

jacony HB User

Your description from the very beginning is exactly (ie shaving front to back) the same as me; I'm recovering at the moment. I too didnt see dr until a week had passed because i never thought of shingles. I was thinking things were just abit sore. Itchy spot on top if left cheek was maybe a bite. When rash started to develop more in the crouch but still on left side i thought it may just be the result of a bite, maybe a spider. Aches and pains in left thigh i was putting down to overwork and unfit. I now have a week off work and antiviral meds however the dr did say the location was unusual. But turns out not so unusual. In the absence of any of the medical conditions that can bring on shingles i am putting it down to exaggerated stress and anxiety with lifes challenges. I see your original post was 2yrs ago so i hope you're now well. I'll keep resting and hope everything will be back in working order soon. It would have to be the worst location for shingles.

Last edited by jacony; 08-30-2016 at 12:54 AM.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:08 AM   #13
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Jacony, welcome to the Boards.

I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering from shingles. I also thought it was some kind of spider bite and did not go to the doctor fast enough. I finally went to the ER because of the pain and showed them the rash as an after thought. They put me on the antiviral and gave me a morphine shot and pain meds.

I hope your doctor also gave you pain medication. Ask for it if he didn't -- no reason to suffer more than you have to. Also ask for Lidocaine -- if he didn't give you that either. It's an ointment that numbs the pain from the skin down. I used it a lot when the sores went away, but I was still hurting.

Take care. I hope you heal quickly.

Closed Thread