It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shingles Message Board

• Need advice on medication!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-18-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
    Lizzdq39
    (female)

Lizzdq39 HB User
    Angry Need advice on medication!

Hello all, I was just diagnosed with shingles week ago in the ER, because the pain was so severe I thought I had a kidney stone. Dr. put me Valtrex, prednisone, naproxen and Tramadol. Tramadol maybe helped a little,btold ,but not enough to help me to get back to work and my regular activities. I went to see my dr. who added Lyrica to the mix. The dr said that once the antiviral was in my system I would no longer need Tramadol. I was honest with her and told her I actually thought she was going to give me Vicodin or Percocet.o However I trusted her, despite all I did know about shingles and the associated pain through my work and relatives that have gone through it. The Lyrica was not working with my body well. It made me super sleepy, yet I was unable to sleep. My husband pointed out that I was staggering and slurring at some points. My students ( I teach at a University) were asking me if I was ok because I seemed "off". It did help alleviate some of the burning pain, but the acute sharp pain was still there. I also was concerned about driving. At the age of 39 it has been a loooonnng time that I got "drunk", however I did feel that way. Then yesterday, my feet began to swell and they did it at an alarming rate. I did not take any more of it since yesterday morning. hardly slept this week, or I would pass out, then awake 2 hours later.
    I did have a follow up today. The dr (actually the PA) said she would put me on Gabapentin, but I am leery as that is so close to Lyrica. I did ask again about the Vicodins or Percocets, which it makes me angry looking back, because I had such guilt asking about them, because I did not want to seem like I was med seeking, despite the fact I have a condition which is extremely painful and everyone I knew who had it was placed on one of them. She did decide to give me some (16) to get me thru the weekend and then we will regroup, but she claimed the acute pain should be gone by then. Sorry this is a long post. My mother in law feels I should change docs, and I was curious what other peoples experience was with meds and shingles. Is Neurontin the same as Lyrica? How long were people on meds? How long before your pain subsided? And did anyone have it on their butt? I had stabbing pain in my butt, and when I told the dr. she said it was impossible to have them there, then I showed her the lesions on the skin.should I see a specific type of dr? Also, it is presenting on both sides. Any insights would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Lizzdq

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2014, 04:04 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Need advice on medication!

I have several friends who have had shingles in the last couple of years. None were given - nor took - anything other than Valtrex. I guess docs here just don't give pain meds for it. So I've never heard of all that for shingles. Now if you are sick enough with it to be hospitalized, that would be different. The Valtrex seems to work in a few days. At least it did for them.

Reply Reply

Tags
    medications, shingles