It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board

• Urgent! Latrajet surgery this Monday!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-10-2015, 05:40 AM   #1
    Salome1
    (female)

Salome1 HB User
    Urgent! Latrajet surgery this Monday!

Hello,

I have been suffering from chronic instability for over 20 years, dislocating my shoulder once every 2 years in average.

MRI shows a hill-sachs lesion, a torn labrum and what not...

I am 45 and also suffer from a few herniated disks in my neck.

Because of other orthopaedic issues, an unusually low threshold for pain and fear of long rehabilitation, I have put surgery off for this long.

I now have a world-class surgeon who feels surgery is the only solution for me and I have all the paperwork ready to go under the knife this coming Monday.

But I have to shout out for the last time! Does anyone out there know of ANY other solution?

I have heard of experimental stem-cell treatments, but my surgeon, who is at the cutting edge of research, had assured me this is still unsafe (not FDA approved) and at any rate, will not be implemented on my condition.

The reason I need this operation is not everyday pain or discomfort - but the knowledge that dislocations will reoccur and may ultimately become worse.

I thank you all,

Shlomzion

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2015, 07:05 AM   #2
    ClassicRockGuy
    (male)

ClassicRockGuy HB UserClassicRockGuy HB UserClassicRockGuy HB User
    Re: Urgent! Latrajet surgery this Monday!

One thing FOR SURE, sometimes surgery is a MUST.
    I've had a hip replacement and rotor cuff surgery on each shoulder and I'm very glad that I did!

Old 07-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #3
    Hickoryr
    (female)

Hickoryr HB UserHickoryr HB UserHickoryr HB UserHickoryr HB UserHickoryr HB User

Stem cell is not going to help an instability problem at this point in time. All i can say is trust your surgeon. That said, I also had a "world class expert" who i admire and respect completely, but he was not only unable to help me, but actually made me worse. And he admitted as much. There are no guarantees ever with surgery. It may work, there is a chance it will not, even if you see the expert surgeon who "wrote the book" on complex problems. Good luck on monday! Chances and statistics say you will be fine. The only way to avoid a problem is to skip the surgery.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #4
    Spywife
    (female)

Spywife HB User

I understand. I had shoulder surgery 3 years ago. Ask if doctors can do a shoulder/arm block. This numbs the arm for about 18 hours. This helps to decrease immediate post surgical pain. After the sedation of surgery wears off you can better deal with pain. This along with pain medication helps tremendously. Good luck and try to relax.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #5
    Hickoryr
    (female)

Hickoryr HB UserHickoryr HB UserHickoryr HB UserHickoryr HB UserHickoryr HB User

I respectfully disagree with the statement that shoulder surgery is a must. It may be in a traumatic situation, but definitely not a must and the failure or retear rate can be quite high. It is optional, and good results can be obtained with therapy.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:12 PM   #6
    ClassicRockGuy
    (male)

ClassicRockGuy HB UserClassicRockGuy HB UserClassicRockGuy HB User

It's true that shoulder surgery isn't always a must. But, if there are any full tears in the shoulder, PT will NOT repair a full tear. That's why I had a surgery on each shoulder.....I had full tears.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hickoryr View Post
    I respectfully disagree with the statement that shoulder surgery is a must. It may be in a traumatic situation, but definitely not a must and the failure or retear rate can be quite high. It is optional, and good results can be obtained with therapy.

Reply Reply

Tags
    shoulder, surgery