It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board

• Should I have Shoulder surgery???

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
    Mikiyates8
    (female)

Mikiyates8 HB User
    Question Should I have Shoulder surgery???

Hi.. I need help... fell and injured my left shoulder 15 months ago... Have bursitis, tendinitis, partial tear of rotator cuff, and just so much pain. Have had the cortisone injections, did not help... Did physical therapy.. only made pain and inflammation worse..etc... I have avoided having surgery due to fear of it not helping and possibly making it worse. Today ortho said again that he wants to do arthroscopic surgery I believe he said with acromiplasty and shaving bones and removing bursa and checking rotator cuff to see if tear is worse than it appears on MRI.. So do I just continue to suffer and not be able to sleep due to pain? I'm afraid of surgery actually making things worse.. Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated...

The following user gives a hug of support to Mikiyates8:
    MountainReader (04-26-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
    Blueyes
    (female)

Blueyes HB User
    Re: Should I have Shoulder surgery???

I fell last June and injured my right shoulder. Had surgery in November to repair tear in supra tendon. It didn't take. Now I am looking at reverse replacement in December. I had no pain after injury or surgery. Just have little rom. I am very anxious and nervous now about that prospect.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
    allhis
    Inactive
    (female)

allhis HB Userallhis HB Userallhis HB User

Sounds like surgery is your best chance. Since you are reluctant, how about go get a second opinion?

What you describe seems pretty typical when they go in: shaving, basically cleaning up the shoulder. I hope he said repair the rotator cuff vs just look at it.

I had my surgery in October after falling last March. My tear wasn't bad but enough to hinder my activities so choose to have repair now. I have full ROM which I am very happy to have back. My shoulder still gets painful which I am told can last 6 - 12 more months as it heals. The ROM behind my back caused problems - either tendinitis or bicep tear so I just limit going behind my back. After a day of working in my garden (mostly filling and moving pots right now) it will hurt. I finally gave up and take the ibuprofen. If it is tendinitis ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory which it needs.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:27 PM   #4
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

It really does depend on your underlying issues and your ability to function during daily activities. Have you researched Shoulder Impingement Syndrome?

I have had arthroscopic subacromial decompression surgery on both shoulders. I went from having chronic pain and eventually significantly reduced ROM despite PT to having full ROM and no pain with both shoulders. I did not need repairs with my surgeries, though I was starting to fray with the chronic inflammation and I would have eventually torn. While no surgery is fun, I think the decompression surgery is easier to heal from than having repairs. I think of it as more of a 'clean up' surgery which resulted in more room for shoulder movement with the hook gone. This resulted in reduced impingement and inflammation.
    Basically, once the bone has had time to heal back over, like healing from a broken bone, the PT works well to get the ROM back. Because it was arthroscopic, the incisions are barely noticable. My first surgery was 9 years ago and the second about 4 years ago. Both shoulders are doing well.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:02 AM   #5
    Kmc979
    (female)

Kmc979 HB User

I did everything I could to avoid surgery just like you. I did the cortisone shots which helped but never took all the pain away and only lasted a short time. I did 10 weeks of formal PT after trying home PT for several months before that. I ultimately decided I couldn't take the pain anymore. It was affecting my job and I was unable to sleep at night. In January my surgeon and I decided that surgery was all that was left. Going into surgery it was known about the tendonitis, bursitis, and impingement. I also had a calcific tendonitis. There was a chance of needing a repair done if when the calcium removed it left a big enough hole.
    When he got in my shoulder he found that my tendon did have a small tear on it that the MRI didn't show and it was so unhealthy and fraying that he had to remove so much of it I ended up with a moderate repair being done.

My other shoulder also has the same thing, except no calcium. At one of my post op visits I got another cortisone shot in that shoulder because it was getting worse again being it was the only arm I could use. I will most likely need surgery on that one but they won't entertain it until I am at least 12 months post op so there is no chance of ruining the repair.
    From what i've learned, MRIs can only image the tendon so much. My MRI didn't show a tear but there was one. A friend who just had the surgery last year, his MRI was unclear if there was a tear or not, and he ended up having a moderate tear.
    I sat down with myself and went over the pros and cons of surgery. Fear of the actual surgery was never a concern of mine. I have complete confidence in my surgeon so I knew I was in good hands. If you are so unsure maybe get a second opinion? I haven't read too much about the surgery making it worse, if it does it's normally something that the patient did or didn't do. PT is very important post op.

Reply Reply

Tags
    shoulder, shoulder injury, shoulder pain