It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board

• Questions for upcoming Total Shoulder Replacement...

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
    Redwood70
    (female)

Redwood70 HB User
    Lightbulb Questions for upcoming Total Shoulder Replacement...

--- tl;dr: the questions are marked by smileys.

Hi there, I've been a member for over 8 years, but, this is my first post.

I am 49 years old, I was born with and diagnosed with Stickler Syndrome, been doing okay in life until it started hitting me little by little beginning in 2000. I've had both knees replaced a month and three weeks apart in October and December 2004 (then, an emergency total abdominal hysterectomy in the following February).

Anyway, I just recently had a total hip replacement in my right hip back in March 26th, I will be getting my left hip done probably after New Year's, and my right shoulder shortly after that. All of my surgeries were relatively easy to recover from, thankfully, I'm thinking the hip was the easiest, thus far.

Now, I'm getting a left total shoulder replacement on July 30th.

I have a couple questions for anyone who've had this done, and for those in the know...

After getting it done, my husband and I will be taking a leisurely road trip to my Gramma's in L.A. (from Reno, Nevada, about a 9 hour drive, to be split up with an overnight stay halfway).

*** Surgery is on July 30th, road trip will be on August 13th, 14 days post surgery. I will have a one week post-surgical check-up.

Husband will stay one week, drive back, and I will stay two more weeks, then fly back home just in time for my one-month post-op check-up.

*** Question: Can I do that? have the surgery and go to my Gramma's for a couple of weeks? I have severely limited ROM in my right shoulder, so she will help me with basic needs such as dressing and other things.

I visit my Gramma as often as every three to four months every year, this would be a normal visit, but, since my Hubby works long hours, she can help me with recovery and everyday things throughout the day for a couple weeks until I am strong enough to do it on my own.

I can't imagine not being able to get dressed (Buckey leaves before dawn), go to the bathroom and not being able to pull my panties or pants/shorts up! I've tried, I've practiced doing several things with one arm, with really limited ROM, and I wouldn't be able to do pretty much anything until he got home. So, I go visit Gramma and SHE can help me!

*** Okay, next question:

How long was it until you're able to sleep ON the operated side?

I'm a side sleeper, I flip flop a few times throughout the night switching sides, rarely do I sleep on my back. I ditched the 7" elevated sleeping wedge by day 5 post-op, then I was sleeping on my new hip just 9 or 10 days post op, sleeping on my back and one side was rough for me.

*** 3rd question (sorry, but, thank you for reading this far!):

About the shoulder sling... it is mandatory that I keep my arm in it as long as 4 to 6 weeks, is that to support the muscles and ligaments?

Thank you all so much for reading and possible response!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    arthritis, shoulder replacement, surgery

« shoulder sling | - »