It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board

• lifting

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-31-2019, 07:17 AM   #1
    pjh1955
    (female)

pjh1955 HB User
    lifting

My PTA told me not to lift over a coffee cup. My doctor said I could move my arm however I want except for moving it behind my back. I have been lifting more weight than that for a while now. I am 8 weeks out from surgery. Whould like to know what others were told.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2019, 10:52 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: lifting

Dear pjh1955,

Moving the arm is not the same as lifting weight. What is recommended for one person doesn't relate to any other person. Each case is unique.

You may be capable of lifting way more weight than is prudent during the recovery stage. You should inquire of your doctor or physical therapist. Over-doing during the healing process can interfere with the appropriate recovery of your joints & muscle tissue. I learned this the hard way, by ignoring limitations because I felt no pain.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:48 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: lifting

My doctor had me not lifting anything over 10 lbs after rotator cuff surgery...but I could only move my arms 90 degrees- never over my head.

I really think each case is different, especially because each surgery is different. If you had a tear, its not the same as a strain..if you had a partial tear its not the same as having a reattachment. You really need to talk to the doctor who performed the surgery and get answers.

Reply Reply