It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board

• Reverse shoulder replacement, female age 75- massive irreparable rotator cuff tears?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-10-2020, 08:40 AM   #1
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Reverse shoulder replacement, female age 75- massive irreparable rotator cuff tears?

My wife, age 75, has full tears in her right shoulder's supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons, among other tendon problems, including muscle atrophy and moderate fatty infiltration and tendinosis.

Before her MRI she was required to suffer thru physical rehab for quite a while. The rehab just seemed to make it worse, so she stopped going! Overall, it's been about three months of tolerating and living with a painful, limited right shoulder and arm.

Now, after having an MRI which shows massive, irreparable rotator cup damage, the doctor/surgeon has recommended a reverse right shoulder replacement. We like the idea of the "reversed" because it doesn't require reattaching tendons, which are too diseased to reattach.

We would like input/opinions of others, especially those who have had a Reverse Shoulder Replacement, or who have lived with someone who has gone thru the surgery.

Thanks, Bob

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2020, 11:30 AM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Reverse shoulder replacement, female age 75- massive irreparable rotator cuff tea

Reverse Shoulder Replacement has now been scheduled. Preparation includes a cat scan, an EKG, blood work, a physical, a pre-surgical check for Covid-19 and a lot of luck!

More than 90% of patients experience significant improvement in both shoulder pain and function. At ten years, about 90% of the implants are still fully functional.

Scared but hopeful...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-25-2020, 05:47 PM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Re: Reverse shoulder replacement, female age 75- massive irreparable rotator cuff tea

CT scan, EKG, blood work, physical completed. All indicate that her health is good and we are now just waiting for the surgery.

From what I have read, rotator cuff tears are the result of a sedentary lifestyle, lacking exercise, effecting the shoulder, causing muscles, tendons, ligaments to atrophy and deteriorate. In the past, it was very difficult for her to exercise her arms/shoulders because of nerve damage from previous surgery. Fortunately her left shoulder rotator cuff is okay.

There are stretching exercises that she can do with her left arm/shoulder to help to prevent the same thing from happening to her left shoulder. It's mostly exercises moving her shoulders around and then swinging her arms. Even though I do a ton of exercises, I join her with her "stretching" exercises because they are completely different from my normal, four different, weight lifting exercises, and I figure that it is good for my rotator cuff, too!

If 80% of those over 80 suffer from rotator cuff tears, I don't understand why stretching exercises aren't recommended more during elderly doctor visits?

Old 08-08-2020, 08:42 AM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Surgery performed on August 6th, about a two hour procedure. After I waited a very anxious, stressful morning, the surgeon called me and said that the reverse shoulder replacement went great!

She has since been on pain medications and icing, icing, icing. The day after her surgery, she came home wearing an arm sling, and was released with a "cooler" that circulates ice water into a pad that fits around her operated shoulder and keeps it quite cold. We use it for hours during the evening hours. It requires quite a bit of ice.

Although her shoulder still hurts, it seems to be getting a little bit less painful on the second day after surgery, and she is getting more mobile, and looking for things to do. A good sign of her feeling better!

I was concerned about her shoulder and arm bones being strong and healthy enough to have devices screwed into them (ball and cup). Surgeon answered that they did not have to use surgical cement and he had no problems installing the devices.

She has started with some exercises with her forearm and hand. She is not allowed to move her shoulder, yet.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #5
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Going into the fourth day after surgery. She has a bit of an appetite today for pizza. She is still in a lot of discomfort even though it seems to get a tiny bit better each day. Her right arm down to her wrist hurts and has been puffed up and swollen! The arm is soft when I press it and the skin is not tight, so I just assume that it is a normal reaction to the trauma to her shoulder.

We use about two, one gallon frozen plastic water containers for ice each day for the voracious icing machine. It would have been nice to get good instructions on how to affix the icing pad to her shoulder. I wound up using an ACE bandage to better keep the cold pad in place. Documentation and communication isn't their strongest suit!

There is no bleeding outside her rather large bandage and no blood stains. Her right arm is not discolored. Her biggest problems now are still the swelling and the pain. She is able to do four different right forearm and hand exercises (without moving her shoulder) ten times each exercise; four times a day.

Hooking and unhooking her up from the icing machine, to do her exercises, or to take a break, takes a little bit of time and effort. We have intercoms so, anytime she needs assistance, which is often, she just beeps me, and I beep her back indicating that I heard her request for help. There is no way that she would be able to recover, or even exist, without frequent help, especially due to not being able to use both arms.

Reply Reply