It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board

Surgery July 3rd for Rotator Cuff Tear and Subacromial Decompression

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #16
MountainReader
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Surgery July 3rd for Rotator Cuff Tear and Subacromial Decompression

When I developed my Shoulder Impingement and had bursitis and tendonitis with my rotator cuff, I also eventually developed a pretty angry case of bicep tendonitis along the way. Prior to my subacromial decompression, my doctor discussed the surgery for me for bicep tendonitis and I signed releases for them to do that procedure too based on what they saw. Thankfully it wasn't too bad, but it was a possibility.

If they don't have to do the repair, your time in the sling should be pretty short. I know I only wore mine for a few days. It did take several months to get my ROM back though.

I too loved the propping on the pillows thing. I just did the same after wrist surgery/casting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #17
Shan214
(female)

Shan214 HB User

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have bicep tendonitis. From what I was reading, the bicep tenodesis surgery seems pretty invasive. Something about screwing the tendon back in place. Sounds scary to me. I hope he doesn't have to do that. Then again, if he needs to fix anything I do want him to. I want to be all better dang it! Lol!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #18
MountainReader
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

For my bicep tendonitis, they were just going to make a snip of one of the tendons without any repairs. Evidently it is fairly common. Anchors and repair sound a bit tougher in terms of recovery time and immobilization.

I'll keep good thoughts for you.
MountainReader

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
Shan214 (06-21-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
Shan214
(female)

Shan214 HB User

Yeah I would think so too. From what I was reading it looks like with that procedure alone, the sling time is 3 weeks. I would think with that type of repair, it would be longer. Idk.. I guess I'll know in 2 weeks. It's coming up fast! Thank you so much for all the advice and good thoughts! I really appreciate it! :-D

Old 06-21-2012, 05:17 AM   #20
maggietaz
Senior Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Shan,
I think that as long as you start getting prepared for a tying at home then it will all work out. With the labrum surgery, I had two anchors was on the sling full time for 4weeks and part time for about 2 more weeks. Then physical therapy and unfortunately somehow got a frozen shoulder so am still doing PT to get through that, but my labrum has gotten better, but I still need to strengthen it.
In the first ten days the focus needs to be on healing and ensuring you can protect whatever repair that he does. I can't remember whether you posted this or not, will you have help at home?

Old 06-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #21
Booniebear
(female)

Booniebear HB User

Hi guys. First of all...I'm sorry that I am writing so much. I have a torn rotator cuff. It had a 75% tear when I saw an ortho surgeon back in 2009 for it. He had me do PT which only made things worse. Got two different sets of cortisone shots. That definitely made it feel worse instead of better! At the second visit I almost passed out while waiting for the elevator to get to the parking garage. Then he said he needed to do surgery. BUT he said that he needed me to be off my pain meds for 6-8 WEEKS! I take pain meds for other things not related to a torn rotator cuff. I said FORGET IT!!

Now it's really bothering me more. And I noticed that I have muscle atrophy which TOTALLY freaks me out! At my last visit with my pain mgmt doc I told her about all of this and reminded her about what the surgeon said (who, BTW was a complete jerk!) and then she said she didn't know why he would need for me to go off my pain meds at all. (Why didn't she say that way back then?) I had a complete hysterectomy and didn't have to do that. So she sent me to a different ortho surgeon. He looked at my old MRI and then he had me take some X-rays there in his office. He wanted me to get a new MRI, which I did. I told him that my pain doc was doing a NCS and he wanted me to bring that too. I got that done yesterday. (My hubby is retiring from the Army and we're moving at the end of August and once he's retired the insurance changes to having co-pays which I don't have at all right now. Plus I need to get a job ASAP once we move. So I'm trying to get as much done now as I possibly can.)

I have an appt again with the ortho surgeon on 5 July. I'll keep trying to get a sooner appt from someone canceling their appt so I can get in there sooner. We'll be gone the week after 4 July week to look for a house.

I also have other issues with my neck. When I saw him (Monday actually) I told him that it feels like I hit my funny bone and it hasn't stopped that achy pain yet. And that I'm having pain down to my elbow and into my hand and that sometimes I feel numbness all the way down into my pinkie and ring fingers. He said that had nothing to do with a torn rotator cuff. He said I have two different issues (which I already knew). He's not as abrupt and mean as the other surgeon but he still doesn't that have bedside manner that we all wish all docs had!

The doc who did the NCS said that she doesn't see anything wrong with my nerves. I'm thinking I have a pinched nerve (because that can also cause muscle atrophy) and also because it feels like I hit my funny bone and there is numbness and pins and needles. Apparently this test checks for any nerve damage (which I didn't know) but that doesn't mean that I don't have a pinched nerve. When I asked the doc who did the test how could this make any sense...especially because while I was lying there waiting for her to start torturing me (LOL!) my arm, hand and fingers started going numb...she said she didn't know. It would have been nice if she told me, what another really nice lady on here told me, that it didn't necessarily mean that I didn't still have a pinched nerve.

Have any of you had the hit your funny bone feeling and numbness, etc which you think came from your torn rotator cuff or whatever you had wrong? I'm sure I read somewhere that it could cause that feeling...but according to the doc...it can't.

Anyway, I found this thread and thought it was funny that I too was wondering (if he does do surgery on my rotator cuff) how would I shave and put on deodorant. My husband could help me out...but I'm not so sure I want him shaving my armpit! Plus I was wondering what to do about clothes/bra. And what will I do about my hair???? I'm going to look horrible. LOL!

Sorry I'm writing so much. I hope your surgery goes well and that you heal correctly and as quickly as possible.

I kind of want him to do surgery if it'll eventually help my shoulder to stop hurting. If nothing else has helped...then what other choice do I (or the docs) have?

The following user gives a hug of support to Booniebear:
Shan214 (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #22
Shan214
(female)

Shan214 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggietaz View Post
Shan,
I think that as long as you start getting prepared for a tying at home then it will all work out. With the labrum surgery, I had two anchors was on the sling full time for 4weeks and part time for about 2 more weeks. Then physical therapy and unfortunately somehow got a frozen shoulder so am still doing PT to get through that, but my labrum has gotten better, but I still need to strengthen it.
In the first ten days the focus needs to be on healing and ensuring you can protect whatever repair that he does. I can't remember whether you posted this or not, will you have help at home?
Yeah, I agree. I'm trying to get as prepared as possible. A friend of mine is going to let me borrow her sports bras that clasp in the front from when she had her breast implants done. That will help me out a bunch! I'm starting PT a week after surgery. I really hope I don't get frozen shoulder. I couldn't imagine how much that sucks. I don't remember if I did or not either, but yes, I will have plenty of help from my hubby. He's taking a couple days off and will be working from home for a couple days.

Booniebear, I'm so sorry you've had to go through all that! No need to apologize. We're all here to help and we all have questions. :-) I'm sure you read the posts where people gave me advice on clothes and stuff. I'm getting my hair done before surgery and having my hair cut shorter than normal in the back so that I don't have to mess with it as much. Kinda impossible for me to do my hair the way I normally do it with just one hand. I have a short stack haircut and I do it to where it's kinda poofy in the back because I don't like it stick straight. The back of my head is kinda flat so it looks horrible if it's just straight down. Lol! As for clothes and stuff, I've gotten some tube top shirts and dresses so that I will be able to dress myself. I think I'll wear the sports bras from my friend under them. Hopefully I'll be able to clasp them by myself. Lol! We'll see! I've already told myself that fashion and beauty are not an option for right now. LOL!

Old 06-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #23
xilch
(female)

xilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB Userxilch HB User

Hi Shan -- I KNOW you will do well with your rotator cuff surgery. I had mine last July -- and although the recup is not an easy one, you KNOW you do not desire to live with the pain you presently have. You have fought hard to find the right surgeon -- and to get to this point. Gather some varieties of pillows that will help you get comfortable for sleeping in a recliner (if you have one); get some gel ice packs you can use often; hopefully you have a heating pad because that might help as well at certain times of the day, especially prior to arm movements at home; take meds an hour before going to PT; find your most comfy bra (or go get a sleep bra that connects in front; find or borrow some big loose dresses or robes; never turn down your pain medicine offer -- and begin the meds BEFORE your nerve block wears off after surgery (usually 8 hours or so after surgery); if you live alone, prep some really easy microwave dinners/lunches; buy ICE CREAM....smile....or whatever treat is your preference......just to have something fun; and, try to prep some easy/fun activities you can do with one hand to have easy access at your recliner (i.e. magazines, puzzles, laptop????) -- because after a few days you'll have lots of time where you KNOW you don't want to move the arm all the time and you'll desire something to do........... i hope you have someone to be with you for a few days if you live alone........ good luck... i'll be thinking of you.... you'll do great...

The Following User Says Thank You to xilch For This Useful Post:
Shan214 (06-22-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #24
MountainReader
Facilitator
(female)

I had wrist surgery in February. I was really concerned about how I would do my hair one-handed. You can't hold a brush and hairdryer at the same time... I have shorter hair too. I had a hair appointment right after my surgery and talked to my hair designer (his title, not mine) about my concern since I knew it would be months before I could do my hair two handed. He actually changed up my hairstyle a bit and went a little shorter, then he dried and styled it all with just his left hand (he is right handed like me) just to make sure I could do it myself and have some good hair days. He then showed me how to squeeze my style cream onto the countertop so I could rub it into my good hand one-handed so I could evenly get it into my hair. I then just used a wipe to get the residue off the countertop. I think he actually really enjoyed the challenge because he took a lot of time with the cutting and he got excited with how it came out when he styled it one-handed. I actually never had any bad hair days. Some days I dried it, some days I could air dry it and use styling products. I wish I'd thought to have that discussion with him when I'd had my shoulder surgery...

For the front hook bra, try practicing before surgery. As I said before, try pushing your bad arm into your body just a bit. It helps hold the breast and bra cup stable as you try to fasten the hook. It does take a bit of coordination, but it is doable.

Do you have a good blender or ice chopper? I like the gel packs, but I found that sticking the ice into a chopper and making it snow fine was my favorite way to apply the cold. The chopped ice molds best to the surgical site. I have one of those Kitchen Ninjas that did wonders for me for this. They gave me an icepack during surgery that I was able to re-use for a couple weeks.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:53 AM   #25
Booniebear
(female)

Booniebear HB User

Y'all have such good advice!

How long after your doc decided that it was time to do surgery was your surgery performed? We are moving and if I do end up having to have surgery, I want to get as much done as possible before then. (The other doc wanted to do surgery on my shoulder when cortisone shots and PT only made things worse...so I'm thinking that this doc might think so too....? But ya never know.)

Old 06-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #26
Shan214
(female)

Shan214 HB User

Thank you so much for the support and happy thoughts! I think I have the clothes dilemma solved. I still plan on getting more pillows. I know all too well about the pain killers from all my other surgeries. I will be taking them every 4 hrs! Even during the night! Hubby always sets his alarm every 4 hrs and wakes me up to give me more meds (I've had too many surgeries...Lol!). My husband will be taking some days off and also working from home some days. I'll have plenty of help during the first week at least. I have a recliner, but it's not comfortable at all. Although it might be comfortable for me after surgery.. who knows.. I'll have plenty to keep me busy.. I have a laptop and an eReader with lots of books to read. Between those and sleeping, I think I'll be plenty busy. I think I'm as prepared as I can be.

Thank you all for all the tips and support. I really appreciate it! I'll give everyone an update after my surgery. :-)

Last edited by Administrator; 07-25-2012 at 11:03 AM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Shan214
Booniebear (06-22-2012),MountainReader (06-23-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #27
Booniebear
(female)

Booniebear HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan214 View Post
Hi everyone! I just wanted to share my story with you all and hopefully get some tips and ideas for after surgery. I apologize if this ends up being really long. Itís kind of me venting as well.

It all started 6 months ago in the middle of December 2011. I started having pain out of nowhere and it just got worse. I had originally thought it was just sore from playing Fruit Ninja on the Xbox 360 Kinect. When the pain didn't go away after a couple weeks and started getting a lot worse (hurt to lift my cup) I decided to go ahead and call the Dr. I also worked 10 days in a row covering for a friend during this time which I think made it worse.

I went to my PCP and she was thinking I had bursitis and had me go to PT. She also had me get an X-Ray and an MRI just to rule out a tear. When I got the results of the MRI they said I had partial surface bursal tear and a type 2 acromion.

I went to PT for 4 weeks and felt the pain was getting a lot worse so I went back to my Dr and she gave me a cortisone injection. She told me to see an Ortho to see what they say about it. I went to the Ortho 2 weeks later and didn't even get to see the actual Dr. I saw the PA and she assumed I had bicep tendonitis and said that my first cortisone injection was done incorrectly and gave me another one in the front. Told me to go back in 6 weeks if pain did not get better or got worse. I was pretty upset when I left there because I just knew that's not what was wrong. From there I looked for another surgeon to get a second opinion.

I found a new surgeon and saw him on March 12th. On my first visit to this Dr, he said that it sounded like bursitis and possibly something with my nerves. He sent me back to PT for 4 weeks. Went to PT and was still feeling like I was getting worse. I went back to the surgeon and first saw the PA. The PA did his tests and asked some questions. From there he said he was pretty sure I had a SLAP tear and thought for sure the surgeon would want to do surgery at this point to see whatís going on. I had had 9 weeks of PT at this point. Then the surgeon comes in and is totally against the surgery and tells me how itís not a good idea and there are so many risks with the surgery. That the main risk to surgery is the anesthesia. He then pauses and continues to tell me, ďPeople die!Ē. Tells me that it hasnít happened with him doing the surgery, but it happens. I was furious at this point. Iím not an idiot and I know what the risks are. Iíve had 3 previous surgeries in the past (Appendectomy, Gall Bladder Removed and C-Section with my twins). After all that he tells me to go back to PT for another 4 weeks. When he leaves the room I hear him talking about my appointment. It ended up being him talking into the computer taking his notes. I was furious with this as well. The entire office can hear everything he is saying. Knowing that everyone could hear made me feel very uncomfortable. Needless to say this surgeon ended up being a complete moron. He didn't listen to anything I said and had some information wrong in my chart. I also called my insurance and filed a complaint against him for blabbing my info to the entire office. This date was May 7th.

I went back to PT and searched for a new surgeon during this time. I made another appt at a new office for June 11th. By the time the 11th comes around my PT said that Iím 90% with my strength. Iím still not able to even use a 1 pound weight with some of my exercises. To me thatís a problem when Iíve had 3 Ĺ months of PT. AnyhooÖ I saw the 3rd Surgeon this past Monday on the 11th of June. He was so nice and very compassionate! So happy I went to this place! He read over my chart and looked at my MRI and X-Rays and told me that I do have a tear on my rotator cuff. He said that itís not a normal tear though. He said that they are usually on the bottom of the rotator cuff and mine is on the top. Not really sure what that means exactly. He also said that I have a small bone spur. Dr said at this point with all the PT Iíve done and the fact that Iím still in a lot of pain, itís time to do the surgery (FINALLY!). I feel like Iíve been tortured for the past few months! Heís going to look all over my shoulder and see if thereís anything else that needs to be repaired and heís going to do the subacromial decompression as well. He doesnít know at this point if the tear is going to need to be repaired. Iím just thrilled that someone is finally doing something about it! So now Iím just waiting for my surgery on July 3rd. Canít wait to be on the road to recovery.

Wow, I'm sorry this is so long! Feels good to get it all out though. If anyone has anything they'd like to share or any tips for before or after surgery, I'd really appreciate it. I'm excited and scared all at the same time. Thank you for taking the time to read my experience. *Hugs*

How are you feeling? Hope everything went okay and you're feeling alright.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #28
Shan214
(female)

Shan214 HB User

Hi everyone! Surgery went great! I've had little pain just from keeping up with my pain meds every 4 hours. Hubby sets his alarm at night every 4 hours too. The surgeon did the subacromial decompression and shaved my bone spur down. My rotator cuff was frayed from the bone spur so he cleaned that up, but didn't need to do a full repair on it. I'll be in my sling for 2 weeks and I start PT next Wednesday. I'll find out more details at my post -op tomorrow. I'll keep you all updated. Thank you all for the well wishes!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Shan214
Booniebear (07-04-2012),xilch (07-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #29
MountainReader
Facilitator
(female)

I'm so glad your procedure went well. It sounds exactly like what I had done.

Interesting though. I only wore my sling regularly for a few days and started my PT within a few days as well. So often doctors just take different approaches.

I hope your recovery is as successful as mine.

Happy 4th.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
Shan214 (07-13-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #30
Shan214
(female)

Shan214 HB User

Hey everyone! I thought I'd come in and give you all another update on how I'm doing.

Everything is going really well! I am soo much happier since having the surgery. The constant pain is all gone and I'm so excited! After almost 7 months of constant pain, I feel like a different person. I started PT on Wed and it's going really well. PT wants me to go 3 days a week for a couple weeks then we're gonna take it down to 2. My ROM is awesome! DR and PT is really impressed with how far they're able to move my arm (I'm not allowed to move my shoulder on my own until next week). I'm only taking my pain meds before going to PT now so that's really good. I really wish I would have had this done a long time ago. At least with having all the PT before hand has really helped and I think it will help me recover a lot faster than what it would normally take. :-D If anyone has any questions for me, please don't hesitate to ask. I don't mind. :-) I'll be giving updates as time goes on.

Closed Thread