It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board

• Should I need to take Epidural injection sooner to treat my shoulder and neck pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
    efang
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

efang HB User
    Should I need to take Epidural injection sooner to treat my shoulder and neck pain?

I have had shoulder and neck pain for more than 2 weeks, The pain was severe at that time when I had to see a ER’s doctor on Feb 22. The doctor gave to me a medicine to relax my muscle and it made me to felt better. Then I saw one pain medicine doctor I knew. She did an cortisone injection to me and asked me to see her in two weeks (March 14 ), but I haven’t felt that the injection released my pain a lot. She was planning to take three times injection to me and each injection needs wait 2 weeks for effect. She suspected cervical herniated disc causes these pain.
    Another Pain management doctor who I knew is an Anesthesiology and he did Epidural injection to me before. My personal feeling that Epidural was better than general injection . I don’t know if I should wait six weeks to finish the general injection or I should take epidural injection as soon as I can ? Because one orthopedic doctor I saw told me that Epidural only can get a good effect when the pain in the acute phase and is not good for chronic pain.
    Thank you for letting me know your opinion.

Last edited by efang; 03-11-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
    xixichang
    (female)

xixichang HB User
    Re: Should I need to take Epidural injection sooner to treat my shoulder and neck pai

If you are sure the Epidural can help your pain a lot. You can try to take it as soon as you can and don't need to wait so long. But you have to talk to your first doctor and get her permission to switch to another doctor. This is a difficult issue and most doctors donít allow to do that.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
    efang
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

efang HB User
    Re: Should I need to take Epidural injection sooner to treat my shoulder and neck pai

My pain medicine doctor doesn't recommend me to do Epidural right now.( She can't do it ) She said Epidural injection for cervical spine is not pretty safe and can cause side effect includes paralesis even it is rare happened. She wants me to use some medicine first
    if the injection can't help.

Last edited by efang; 03-19-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
    man in MO
    (male)

man in MO HB User

I have had back issues for years, which finally put me on disability last year, so I know the whole back/pain management/neurologist/neurosurgeon consut-merry-go-round. To address the question from personal experience, I had four injections in one year for lumbar pain. 3 injections were between discs and the last was a "coidal" injection, which is where they attempt to inject the steroid directly between the tailbone and L1.

To cut right to the chase, NONE of the injections helped with the pain. The coidal injection actually made matters worse for nearly a month. I'm not stating that injections don't work for anyone. In fact, I had the same thing done to my shoulder nearly 5 years ago and I've had few problems since. However, with structural problems and nerve issues, it is hit and miss.

Some pain management facilities keep their doors open by performing hundreds of said injections a week, and I found the pain management practice to be completely unhelpful.

I wish you luck in your search for relief. I'm on 180 mg of oxycontin a day, 50 mg of oxycodone for breakthrough pain, 60 mg of baclofen for spasms and then other meds for associated issues. It's what I have to do right now to deal with the pain. However, I'm always looking for alternative, more natural options.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi, have you had an MRI to determine if you do have a buldging disc? That would be the first thing I would want to know exactly what the pain generator was. Also, I believe its recommended you only have 3 injections a year (you may need to confirm that) so that you don't get too much steroids at one time and shut down your adrenal system, this has happened to me and I now have addisons disease because of it.

Now I'm basing all of this on experience I am not in the medical field. Good luck cathy

Old 03-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
    efang
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

efang HB User

Man in MO and noevr,

Thank you for replying my message. I haven’t got a MRI for cervical spine yet . I asked to my pain management doctor who did injection to me , but she said maybe do it late. I will contact my primary doctor to try to get MRI request form . but I did MRI for cervical spine on March 30, 2011 , result shows I had
    “ there is mild posterior disc bulging displacing the anterior surface of the thecal sac. Endplate bony spurring results in mild to moderate bilateral neural foraminal stenosis
    The problem area was C4-C5-C6.
    I had done twice injections in neck and shoulder. If I did one more . it is already reached “ three time a year” . I did many time injections and Epidural from 2008-2011 because of back issue causing right Leg pain. I found general injection sometimes can help at beginning but never felt Epidural can help me, but the pain management doctor likes to use Epidural very much and always wants to do at least three times.If I let one doctor did three time general injection to you, that means in this year I can’t let another doctor do Epidural to me again because already got too much . That is difficult to control.
    I will see when I get MRI this time and will let you know . I will not see another doctor to do Epidural right now.

Thanks!

Last edited by efang; 03-24-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Closed Thread