It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board

• Subacromial Decompression - post op

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
    greene60
    (female)

greene60 HB User
    Subacromial Decompression - post op

I had arthroscopic surgery on my right shoulder almost two weeks ago. I did not have any tears, but the biceps tendon was pretty beat up, lots of inflammation too. I have my 2d post op appointment, and I start PT, in two days. I have been doing my pendulum swings religiously. I still have some pain and have been taking medication as needed, as well as icing a lot.

I have no problems driving. But, performing other normal activities, such as drying hair, and getting dressed, are extremely difficult. While pushing a grocery cart, and shopping for pain-friendly clothes , I wondered how will I be able to go back to my office (desk job with lots of mousing and typing) in just a few days? I can stay out longer if needed but from what I've been reading, people with this type of surgery usually return to work after a week.

Any thoughts, comments or advice?

Thanks!

Last edited by mod85; 04-12-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
    CT06405
    Veteran
    (female)

CT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB User
    Re: Subacromial Decompression - post op

First, what exactly did the surgeon do with your biceps tendon in surgery, if anything? Sometimes they cut and remove part of it, or cut it and anchor it lower.

Second, when you say that things like getting dressed are difficult, are you talking from a pain standpoint, or is the problem also shoulder stiffness and lack of mobility?

Last edited by CT06405; 04-12-2014 at 07:30 PM.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
    greene60
    (female)

greene60 HB User
    Re: Subacromial Decompression - post op

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CT06405 View Post
    First, what exactly did the surgeon do with your biceps tendon in surgery, if anything? Sometimes they cut and remove part of it, or cut it and anchor it lower.

Second, when you say that things like getting dressed are difficult, are you talking from a pain standpoint, or is the problem also shoulder stiffness and lack of mobility?
    I will find out exactly what was done to my shoulder this Monday. I was told that the bone was shaved, and the fraying was "cleaned up." Difficulty in getting dressed is because of both pain and stiffness. I am trying to move my shoulder as much as possible, but do not want to over-do anything.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
    bookbaby
    (female)

bookbaby HB User
    Smile Re: Subacromial Decompression - post op

I had a SAD with debridement 10 months ago. The first month after surgery, showering, shaving and dressing were very uncomfortable as I couldn't raise my arm over my head or out to the side without pain. It took about 2 months before I could put a t-shirt over my head without pain. My pain level after surgery wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I took Vicodin the first 2 days after surgery and then a few nights the first week so I could sleep. The second week Motrin and nothing after that. My surgical pain took a very long time to go away, 9 months. I still have some pain when I do my pt excercises using weights and when I lift something heavy.

I went back to work one day short of 4 weeks after surgery. I don't have a desk job but my job isn't overly physical either. I started back part time. I was sore but I didn't have any tears so I wasn't worried about damaging a repair. My surgeon told me I could return to work 3-4 weeks with pain and 8 weeks without. I still had a good bit of pain at 8 weeks. My physical therapist said he has seen people go back to work 2 weeks after a SAD and some 3 months.

I started formal pt 3 weeks after surgery and did it for 7 weeks. After that I did the excercises at home or at the gym 4-5 times a week. I'm still doing them. My surgeon said to do them for a year. Pt is tough but you have to do it to have a good outcome from the surgery. Some of it was very painful, but worth it since I got all of my rom back after a few weeks of pt. I had an excellent pt who has worked with many patients who have had shoulder surgery. His help was invaluable.

Good luck with your recovery. It may take awhile, but it is worth it. I have none of the pain I had before the surgery and my shoulder is almost 100%.

Closed Thread

Tags
    shoulder