It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Problems Message Board

• Eleven shoulder replacement surgeries

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
    Whatthehec
    (male)

Whatthehec HB User
    Smile Eleven shoulder replacement surgeries

So back in February 2008 I was racing motorcycles at the track, needless to say I had a very nasty crash. The diagnoses at the time was ( IN Doctors words ) " My humerus on my right shoulder was shattered like when you break apart a butter-finger candy bar. " so he attempted to repair it with plates, screw, and mesh, Eight months later I ended up getting an infection

Needless to say, when the accident happened, I lost my job and insurance.
    What I had to do was go to County USC hospital, luckily It happened when the new hospital opened. ( I was in there for 37 days before they found that it was P acne ad it turned my bone to soup.

To make a long story short, I have had 4 major infection, one of which an incompetent Doctor, no mater how much I complained of pain, refused to admit me and look for something wrong. Thank GOD my pain management Doctor recommended me to the Korland jobe facility in White memorial hospital. The Doctor that saved my life said if I waited another week, I would have been dead.

He found that the MD before him introduced RUST into my shoulder during the last surgery. ( Don't remember the technical term ) and since then I have had 4 Hemiarthoplaties, 3 reverse shoulders, and 4 infections.

I now have no rotator cuff, and also missing a couple muscles in the front of my arm, they had to remove them do to infections.

I have recently stopped all medications, about 8 weeks ago. I was on a lot of Oxycontin, Percocetts, muscles relaxers, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
    My pain doctor wanted to ween me off, but I was fed up with meds. If I took all the pills he wanted me to, it would have been 480 pills a month ( Holly Cow ) Thank god I'm done with that

I have always been an active person, also loved to lift weight, unfortunately I ended up growing to 268 pounds. That finally got me really disgusted with myself and got a gym membership. In 7 weeks I am now down to 236.

I noticed when I started working out, my right shoulder would fill with fluid.
    I am now at the point where it is no longer doing that, most muscles are starting to work again and I'm starting to feel good again.

Like Pablo Picasso once wrote, ACTION IS THE FUNDAMENTAL STEP TO ALL SUCCESS , And I truly believe that.

The biggest problem I have today is not being able to lift my arm straight up in front of me all the way, I would like to get it past the half way mark.
    IS there a specific exercise that could help me build other muscles around the arm to help that?

I accept that I will never be the same again, but I am going to a truck driving school soon and would like to pass the physical at the CDL doctor.

So that's my story in a nutshell, I hope I give some people strength and hope.hope

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
    lenasbaking
    (female)

lenasbaking HB User
    Re: Eleven shoulder replacement surgeries

Wow- what a series of events! First of all- I'm sorry for all of the pain you've endured. Pain sucks. Shoulder pain REALLY sucks. I hope you find some sense of normalcy in all of this as time goes on!

I found that pool therapy has been the most useful for me in keeping down inflammation and decreasing pain so I can actually move through better ROM. Outside of water my ROM is severely limited and I can't do very much. But inside the water I can lift my arm without pain and I can get about double the ROM compared to outside of the water.

GL with your rehab!

Old 05-28-2014, 06:53 AM   #3
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User
    Re: Eleven shoulder replacement surgeries

I'm impressed with your determination...good for you!

The exercises that helped me were
    Walking fingers up a wall

Placing my hands on a piece of material placed on a table and pushing forward as far as I could

Using those one of those stretch bands tied I placed my wrists inside ( about the width of your body ) and raised both arms

You must keep up with the PT! You don't want to freez up even more

Good luck

Reply Reply

Tags
    exercise, rotator cuff, shoulder