It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Break through anxiety or interdose withdrawal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2004, 10:50 AM   #1
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User
    Break through anxiety or interdose withdrawal?

Wow, I have learned way to many new phrases and words in the last six months..........interdose withdrawal was a phrase I never knew until recently........

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand............

I am still on 25mg of Zoloft daily and 2mg of Xanax XR daily (1mg in the am and 1mg in the pm). After coming down from 100mg of Zoloft, 25mg of Ambien and 4mg of Xanax per day, I seemed to level off...........but in the last few weeks irritability has set in and I feel very edgy..........just plain cranky..........at times I also feel like crying for no reason....I also have this burning sensation on and off in my head......not tingling.........burning.............I have had some changes in my life this last month, what with vacation (flying and going to a different country, but I did it!! Yay! and also the news that my employer was not going to hold my job for me any longer, so they posted it and are in the process of hiring someone new, of course they say I can come back if they have a position for me) and maybe that is why I feel worse, I'm not sure.

I talked with the company that makes Xanax XR a few days ago and when I described my symptoms to the RN on the phone she said it was classic withdrawal...........she suggested I switch back to regular Xanax and begin a very very slow taper........and even that I up the dose a bit and then taper back down.......she says the dose I'm on is causing withdrawal symptoms which would indicate that I dropped from 4mg to 2mg much to fast..........

I have been on 2mg since February, so you would think withdrawal would be over with by now, however, I read something about interdose withdrawal, where the body adjusts to the medication (the liver filters it out faster as well) so I may be taking 2mg but not getting the full 2mg dose............

Then we go to my pdoc, great man, he listens, but he is also determined to have me try Effexor (regular, not XR) 25mg to assist in getting down off the Xanax XR...........I tried the Effexor once and felt loopy........but he is asking me to give it one more try............

Then I also have Ativan that I can use occasionally as a "buffer" but my pdoc doesn't want to use Ativan to get me off Xanax............he says it puts me back in the same problem.......weaning down off another Benzo..........

Any suggestions? My counselor friend suggested I try increasing the Zoloft to 50mg and see if that helps.............my pdoc will listen to any suggestions I have, he knows I've done my homework...........however, I want to make the right choices here..........and am looking for a bit of advise???

Thanks,

Kaytee:-)

PS Since going on the Xanax and then the Xanax XR I have been very spacey and my concentration and short term memory are affected a bit, that is why I would like to get off it or on to something else.............

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2004, 11:08 AM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Break through anxiety or interdose withdrawal?

I wonder if the zoloft was ever working, if it reduces your anxiety, you shouldnt need to be on such a large dose of xanax and ativan

effexor is a different type of antidepressant to zoloft, your psych seems irresponsible re your meds, IMO

Old 05-17-2004, 01:58 AM   #3
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Kaytee,

This is just my opinion of course, but I think Effexor is NOT the way to go. I was on it just a few days and I felt like my eyes were going to pop out. You cannot take it if you have glucoma either..........which I don't have, but I still felt a lot of pressure in my eyes. It also made me VERY hyper which is not good for panic sufferers. Also, ask Lori about this too. She had a bad experience with it also.

Chantel

Old 05-17-2004, 05:51 AM   #4
    livingwell440
    (male)

livingwell440 HB User

Xanax and benzo withdrawal can be very long - your cut can take months or longer to settle down

Old 05-17-2004, 07:20 AM   #5
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User

I am very leary of the Effexor, and BTW I do have high pressure in my eyes, not glaucoma, but a higher then normal pressure each year when I get my eyes examined. That would be something to consider.

As for the Xanax XR, I have a feeling it will be a long while before the effects of going off it and all the other drugs I was on as well will finally level out. It's certainly been a long haul, but I'm hanging in there.

Thanks for the responses,

Old 05-23-2004, 12:17 AM   #6
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Hi Kaytee, I've been busy & also having tons of back problems & pain so back to the chiro 3 times a week & cannot be on the computer very long as sitting here causes pain.
    I had been put on effexor xr, remember, well it gave me constant eye headaches, like my eyes were going to pop out of my head.
    Sorry I haven't been posting, but need to try to get my back better & soon, summer is coming!!

How are you doing since leaving your job? I promise I'll check this board tomorrow nite. Friend, Lori J

Old 05-24-2004, 02:52 PM   #7
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User

Thanks everyone again for the responses.

Okay, the Effexor didn't work out...........so now the pdoc would like to switch me to Klonopin........I took this drug before years ago and when I found out I was pregnant the pdoc I had back then pulled me off it cold turkey..........I was so sick..........so I have some bad withdrawal memories from the Klonopin..........however, I do recall that it helped with my sleeping at night and with my anxiety..........

I am going to start a new post and see what others think of Klonopin..........

Hi Lori......didn't Sickman always recommend Klonopin over the other benzos??

Old 05-24-2004, 03:03 PM   #8
    byrdleg
    Inactive

byrdleg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KayT

Okay, the Effexor didn't work out...........so now the pdoc would like to switch me to Klonopin........I took this drug before years ago and when I found out I was pregnant the pdoc I had back then pulled me off it cold turkey..........I was so sick..........so I have some bad withdrawal memories from the Klonopin..........however, I do recall that it helped with my sleeping at night and with my anxiety..........

hi Kaytee,
    What did you experience with the withdrawl and how long did it last? I have been on Klonopin for 4 years. I was on Xanax .25 2x daily for about 3 years then panic set in as paxil wore off and they put me on Klonopin. The Klonopin works great for me for Panic. Last year Celexa quit working for me. they decided to try giving me Xanax XR to replace the Klonopin to see if it would lift my mood. WOW!! WITHDRALWS for 10 days before I FINALLY called the afterhours Doc and she said TAKE a KLONOPIN! Withdrawls gone within an hour! I NOW take Lexapro and have only been on it for 3 weeks and Klonopin .05 3x daily. It seems that the Klonopin makes me woozy and blurred vision when taken with the Lexapro. Not sure but I did put a call into my Doctor today. Maybe a stonger dose of Regular Xanax instead for me?? Anyway, Klonopin does work great for panic and anxiety!! Let me know how you are going.
    BYRDLEG

Old 05-24-2004, 09:20 PM   #9
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KayT

Yes, sickman endorsed it because it is not as addictive as xanax & lasts longer in the system. I have been taking a half in the middle of the day & a half at nite. I noticed that in the middle of the day I'd get this fluttery feeling, not in my heart but like butterflies & I think my body was telling me the Klon. wore off, so I thought I'd try that experiment, it's working well that way.

Old 05-25-2004, 07:44 AM   #10
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User

Hi Byrdleg,

I had to break the Klonopin down to a speck before I was able to stop taking it. However, I think that can be the case for Xanax as well. These drugs helps us, however, going off them isn't always easy and we have to do it very slowly.........

I also had Celexa withdrawal because it quit working for me and I was switched back to Paxil then taken off all of it............did you have withdrawal from the Paxil or Celexa??

The Xanax XR did not work so well for me.......it is smoother then regular Xanax but seems to take forever to kick in and work...........the regular Xanax dropped me when it wore off and I felt shaky and depressesed...........

Some of your symptoms might be from the Lexapro if the Klonopin never gave you those effects before. It may just be start up side effects........I would let your doctor know but maybe give it more time and see if it levels off..........

I am doing okay, a bit nervous about this switch..........but I took my last dose of Xanax XR this morning and tonight it's Klonopin............I am hoping that no withdrawal hits me.........the pharmacist says it shouldn't because Klonopin and Xanax are like cousin drugs........we'll see...........I am hopefull that this is going to help........

Talk to ya soon,
    Hope you are feeling better,

Old 05-25-2004, 08:30 AM   #11
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Kaytee,

I wanted to write and let you know that I also did a switch from benzo to benzo and it never gave me withdrawal symptoms while switching over. Gettting off completely is a different story for me altogether, but the switching was smooth. I switched from Xanex to Ativan and then to Klonopin. I liked the Klonopin the best. It didn't make me feel all shakey when I came down and it lasted a whole lot longer.

Chantel

Closed Thread