It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Anyone a compulsive overeater??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2004, 01:16 AM   #361
    Aurora
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Aurora HB User
    Re: Anyone a compulsive overeater??

Hi girlygirl! Thankyou for posting to me - I feel so honoured that so many people have taken some of their time to write to me. Thankyou.
    You asked what my current weight is so I will tell you that as of last Monday I am 83.5 pounds on a 5 foot 6.5 inch frame. But I am due to be weighed tomorrow and I think I have gained AGAIN. Which is awful, but alledgedly necessary.

I know technically that that is thin but I feel like somehow I am an exception to the rule. And am actually managing to be fat at this weight. I know that my anorexia is destroying so much, but I crave it also.

You are right it is a very lonely and depressing place to be suffering from anorexia. You feel like you are sliding away from life, yet part of you maybe wants that.

You have done amazingly well girlygirl. You are an inspiration. One day soon maybe I can post a post as amazing as that and tell the world that I am doing better.

I am trying to keep on track but sometimes I feel like even if my body is being more nourished, my poor soul is being torn to pieces.

I hope that we hear from you again. Keep us informed on your excellent progress.

Hugs from H xoxo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2004, 01:35 AM   #362
    Aurora
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Aurora HB User

Quenchybabes,
    I am gonna need to go entertain my parents for the last few hours in a minute but not before i say a couple of things about your eating.
    Firstly you are eating dinner way too late. Seriously it is a known fact that if you wait too long for your main meal then you will want to snack. And the trouble with it is that once you start you feel like 'well I'm bad anyway (not that you are) so I may as well just carry right on'. Its a habit. I do actually know how that feels. I know when I have used ipecac it has been because in my opinion I have binged. I know my binge may be what someone else would consider a normal meal, but if I gave myself permission to eat it then I know I would purge it and hence think, go ahead and stuff your fat face you weak willed freak.
    Also boredom and being cooped up in the apartment whenever you aren't at school must not be helping. As a teenager I was dashing off to a different club/activity every night. I am slightly energetic in nature (more so when starving) but I had gymnastics, swimming, rowing, youth club, guides, band. Every single night I had a place to be and most were not activities that had to be paid for. Only the swimming and gymnastics. The rest were free so my parents didn't need to worry about the expense. But it meant basically that I would come home and eat my dinner (or throw it away) and head straight out to activity number one. Then go to the next then do my homework and crash into bed in the early hours of the morning.
    But also I have to warn you (even though I am guilty of this too) that if you don't sleep enough your appetite increases by at least 15%. And your willpower goes out the window. Its simply a hand to mouth existence at that time of night. I used to combat it by exercising for half hour very hard every time I thought of eating. But thats not healthy really or practical.
    I hope this makes sense, if not I will be back to normal posting this evening so I will clarify then.
    Take care
    Hugs from H xoxo

Old 05-30-2004, 12:01 PM   #363
    Mabes

Mabes HB User
    Unhappy Re: Anyone a compulsive overeater??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charlyssa
    When you go thru this, you feel as if you're the only one in the world who is, and that no one else could possibly even begin to understand. Yes, food is the center of my life...I have no more eaten breakfast, and I'm wondering what I should have for lunch...and then after lunch....then dinner. I eat too much, and everything I shouldn't. It's positively insane.
    Char
    Hi,

I have only just faced up to the fact that I have an eating disorder. It's strange, I've gone from one obsession to another - I used to drink and smoke a lot, I stopped both and turned to food! I'm now constantly thinking about food - earlier today I was full from dinner but continued to eat chocolate bar after chocolate bar and biscuits, until I ended up being ill. I suffer with IBS which I think I have caused by my binges.

Does anyone know if IBS is caused by food binges? I seem to have become so much worse in the past 2 months, since I stopped smoking and figure I'm eating that much more. I feel like I'm obsessed and think about starving myself all the time, about weighing food and sticking to that amount only. Then the following day I find myself hiding in the kitchen shoving chocolate into my mouth, it's disgusting.

I feel bloated, have lots of gas especially after I've overeaten which is at least once a day. I usually control myself until after my main meal in the evening and that's when I tend to just eat and eat and eat ...

I'd be really grateful to chat to others who understand. It really does frustrate me trying to work out why I am such an addicted person.

Mabes

Old 05-30-2004, 07:39 PM   #364
    Quencher
    (female)

Quencher HB User

Pam:
    Why was I up at 3:30am, you ask? Well, I was being punished by my dad. He told me to get off the computer, I asked for another 15 minutes around 1am, and he tells me, 'you wanna say on for another 15 minutes? Okay then, fine by me. Guess you're not gonna be sleeping AT ALL tonight.' And so, I basically stayed up the whole night 'cause he wouldn't let me go to bed. But ANYWAY, now to answer your questions!!

before and during your eating, were you also thinking that you had to log this? Yep, I was. I had this in mind 24/7.

Do you think that you ate typically for this week in comparison to previous weeks? Not really. I would think I actually ate a bit LESS this week 'cause I ate less during lunch.

And did knowing you had to log this influence your eating in any way? Perhaps? I tried to hold back a bit--I have to admit-- but I still wasn't too successful, as you can see. But somewhat.

Would you say that this week's meals typify the way you eat and when you eat? Most likely. I usually have more for lunch, though. And my binge episodes are usually much... longer with more foods.

Oh, and did YOU come up with any realizations this week? Yep. It's all in the follow up. But most of it, I already knew. I'm more interested in what you've come up with, though.

Btw, I'm 5'. See? Told yah I was short!! I wish I were at least 5-6 inches taller like my peers!!! But even IF I were 6 feet tall, that STILL wouldn't mean I should be eating as much as I do. I KNOW I eat way more than I should. And as for my weight. Well, I'd rather not tell. I'm not overweight though-- however, I'm getting there. I can tell you that I'm a lot higher than my ideal weight...

RE your daughter being overweight. Well, I think it’s pretty silly to blame yourself for it. Surely, you have tried the best you can by not using food as punishment/reward, and there’s nothing more you can really do about it.
    And if it were inherited, then I suppose you’ll have to blame yourself for her eye/hair/skin color, as well? (That is, if she didn't like 'em or something). See how silly that is? I’m certain you were, and still ARE, a fine mother. I'd also bet that both your son and daughter love you ever SO much!! And that you’ve been much more cautious than other mothers out there. So, you needn’t feel guilt about it.

Btw, I read the post by ambernoel. Thanks for caring so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Eschew obfuscation.

Last edited by Quencher; 05-30-2004 at 11:13 PM.

Old 05-30-2004, 10:16 PM   #365
    Lauralee41077

Lauralee41077 HB User

I would like to know if you girls have ever gone to your doctors and asked (or had) for blood work done on your thyroid? I am seeing too many of you who have a list of the same complaints (that I have experienced) I have prior history of ED and always focus on my weight. At the begining of April I went to the doctor because I was gaining weight...and I had an increased appetite. I always felt I needed to eat. Well...they did blood work and diagnosed me as hyperthyroid (graves disease). Usually in hyperthyroid you loose drastic weight (which is now happening to me) but in the begining your body is overworking so you have an increased appetite. Therefor you gain weight. Eventually your body cathes up and you being to loose. I lost over 30 pounds since april now. But there is also Hypothyroidism which no matter what you do, how little you eat you will gain weight. One of the main things is that these diseases often imitate depression. Your thyroid maintains and regualtes your body and is very important to your overall well being. Get yourselves checked. It could help.

Old 05-30-2004, 10:21 PM   #366
    Quencher
    (female)

Quencher HB User

Aury:
    Yeah, I'm aware that I eat dinner late, but I really have no choice. That is the time when my mom comes home with food/cooks, and this is the time when we eat dinner. However, I find it impossible to eat early (say, 7:30), and then STAY full until bedtime. Hence, I'll end up stuffing myself before bed either way.
    I do think, "I'm bad anyway, so might as well carry on." It's an awful thing that I do. BUT at the time, I REALLY DO feel that way, so yeah. And even if I didn't, I would carry on anyway.
    You sound like you were a pretty popular/athletic teen. Well, that's absolutely fabulous for you!! But uhhh, unfortunately, I can't really do anything of these things.
    Firstly, I can't work under pressure. So, if I join a team or something and am OBLIGATED to stay after school, then I know that I'll be worrying about homework 24/7. Right after school, I head straight for home, some food, and then homework. And by the time I'm done with homework, it's already too late to go out. Why I can’t go play, and THEN do homework? Well, I don’t know. To me, homework is a priority and I would go nuts if I don’t finish it—it doesn’t even matter if I do a lousy job on it; I just want it done, you know? (Studying, on the other hand, is NOT, haha. Hence, I fail 98% of all my exams ).
    Secondly, I always feel like I'm being watched/judged. And I just can't stand doing things in front of other people that isn’t “necessary.” And I soooo fear failure because I've failed in so many things, and I just don't want to again.
    Thirdly, I don't have many friends now. I was, not to brag, but probably the most popular girl in my graduating elementary class. Everyone wanted to be my friend. I sung quite a lot solo on stage, as well, and everyone looked up to me as an idol in a way. I WAS the perfect student, the perfect friend, etc etc. But not anymore. Starting at middle school, I just went downhill. I miss those days.
    Also, there are not too many sports I’m interested in-- nor that I am good at. And those that I AM interested in, I don’t know anyone else who is. There are times when I wish to join my peers in a game of handball or something, but I tried that once, and it didn’t work quite well. I’m never the player they WANT on their team. I’m always the one they try to avoid because I suck, you know? I just don’t fit in anymore. And hence, yes-- I'm always quite bored.
    RE sleeping early and whatnot— Like with dinner,
    many times I just don’t have the choice. I have homework to do, or I’m not allowed to sleep because of my dad, or I stay up to reward myself. Like, “oh, I slept early all week. It’s about time I have some fun and stay up late.” It’s dumb, really.

And I’m glad you enjoyed your last day with your parents!! Going to the movies, and walking the dog sounds like SO much fun. It sounds as if y’all were getting a bit closer. It’s a shame they aren’t staying for longer, tho. RE your mom asking you when you started wearing children’s clothing, again—Well, I’m pretty sure she’s gotten a hint already. And don’t worry about missing this chance. Because frankly, I think there will be many, many more chances to come. I know because I’ve had a trillion opportunities to tell my parents about my eyes, but I didn’t. Well, unlike me, I SO hope you’ll grab onto it the next time it comes!! And if another chance DOESN’T come soon, perhaps you should start seeking for it? Opportunities don’t always come to you; sometimes you have to go to IT, you know? But just take it easy. How about calling them when they return home? Keep in contact via phone, you know?

Mabes:
    Hello there, and welcome! Sorry, I don't know what ISB is, so I can't help. BUT I'm sure someone else here will be able to!! You said you go from one addiction to another? Well, if this pattern follows, maybe you'll 'grow out of' the food addiction pretty soon? And then become addicted to something else instead. Something better—perhaps... flowers? Yeah, I'm talking crazy—but if this pattern persists, it's quite possible. If not, I really hope that you, as well as everyone else here, will find a solution to this problem soon!! Post again soon, Mabes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Eschew obfuscation.

Last edited by Quencher; 05-30-2004 at 10:39 PM.

Old 05-31-2004, 12:03 AM   #367
    Charlyssa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User

 1:30- Chicken burrito, Goldfish crackers, orange juice- I had just woken up, and this is my “breakfast.” I wasn’t planning on eating anything until 9:00pm or so because of the buffet yesterday and the mini binge episode on Thursday, but my grandma came over and offered them to me, and she sat there just WAITING for me to eat them. And so, I did.
     1:45- A LOT of strawberry creamed cookies- Well, now that I had my mouth going, I couldn’t stop because I wasn’t “full enough.” And I craved for something sweet. Hence, the cookies again.
     7:15- 2 apples- I was thinking how I haven’t had anything to eat in almost six hours, so I walked around the apt for some food. Found apples, so apples it was.
     9:00- 2 slices of bread, milk, ice cream cone- I wasn’t really thinking of anything. It’s just about time for dinner, but I wasn’t hungry. I was just bored, I guess.
     9:05- a ROW of Saltine Crackers- I was only planning on having one serving, but sorta went overboard. I was thinking of how sweet that cone was and I had to “wash down” the sweetness.
     9:15- 2 cheese sandwiches- I blame the eating spree
     9:20- more ice cream- to “wash down” the dryness from the bread/cheeses
     9:25- Pork sandwich- I was already full, but not “full enough.” I was thinking about how much I had already ate, and shouldn’t eat anymore. But I did anyway.
     9:30- Some more Saltine crackers, this time only half a row- Ugh, I just don’t know.

As you can see, I'm quite a pig.
    I also have a strange obsession for cookies and ham/cheese sandwiches, haha.

I feel absolutely awful. I feel like I’m trying to find an excuse for eating everything. None of them are legitimate, either. Who am I kidding? I don’t really “need” it. And not once was I hungry! I eat just…cause. I think I know what my problem is. I’m never “satisfied” until I am absolutely stuffed!! I think I’ve become so accustomed to being sick to the stomach, that it has become something that’s oddly, uhh “essential,” you know? Essential for me to concentrate or to do anything as a matter of fact. It’s like the only way in which I can feel “comfortable” and “fulfilled,” when in fact, I feel absolutely disgusting—not to mention how horrific the consequences are. I just wanna know how to eat normally again. I wish someone would lock me in a room and tell me exactly what and what not to eat and when to do it. And if I need exercise, what to do, how long to do it for, and yaddie yaddie yah. Someone to hold my hand and guide me through the whole process, step by step, and force everything onto me. I can’t force myself, but I’m sure someone else would be able to in the physical life.
    If only there was a way to “team up, lol.” That’ll be nice. I mean, I’m pretty certain we both know WHAT to do, but knowing what to do is not as effective as knowing the whole enchilada, you know?

What I find effective, though—and perhaps you can try this with your husband?? Watch him eat… and whatever he eats, you eat ONLY that. I’m assuming he eats sensibly? ‘Cause during lunch sometimes, I’ll just sit in a corner and watch everyone eat… and try to figure out how they “do it.” (Sounds pathetic, don’t it?) Like…I see what they eat, how much they eat, and how fast, and I’ll try to mimic them. I’m usually pretty successful, but I guess what separates me from everyone else is what I do OFF school hours, you know? While they’re all out playing ball, I’m all alone at home with no one to guide me through a meal. -sigh- But you’re always with your husband, aren’t you? Or do you both go to work? Or does he go to work and you stay home? I forget, lol—or maybe you’ve never said? But even if you’re not always together, that’s what phones are for. I’m sure you can trust yourself, and your huby can trust you to eat what he’s eating even when he’s not monitoring. Get it?

I think you should try this, too Pam. This, meaning posting what you eat each day and stuff. Who knows, maybe you’ll find out something new about yourself. Or, maybe when you put it down into words, you’ll be able to “see yourself.” I know you probably have it all “figured out” already, given you have said so many times before. But I think that if we had a bunch of people doing this, then we can maybe swap, you know? Plus, I’m really curious now, and I think it only fair if you had equal participation in this. -grins-

Okay, now I’m REALLY rambling. I'm typing this follow-up at like 3:00am and I have no idea where my brain has gone. I haven’t been getting ANY sleep lately, so naturally I’m a mess in my thoughts. So whatever I wrote prior may not make any sense and hence I know tomorrow morning, when I reread everything, I’m gonna feel like a complete imbecile. I know, no one cares about my grammar, but still.

Hope y’all are having a nice Memorial Day weekend![/QUOTE]

Hiya Quench -

Busy day! And here it 11:30. Had and still have some computer problems and problems with the printer, too. Is there a full moon or something??? Jeesh Somehow images have gone nuts. The backround on the start page was blue sky and white clouds, and now it's grey. Picture on the net look weird, and all the backrounds like here on the board are tiny little dots. Ver distracting! This happened once before & hub fixed it, but now he forgot how. Well, anyway.....

Well, actually I guess I gave you my thoughts about your eating in my last post. I do notice you eat fairly sensiblt during the day, but nightstime abd week-ends apparently are your downfall. It's a combination of stress and boredom, and quite a bit of habit thrown in, too.To tell you the truth, one of the things I was trying to find out was if all this stuff with your dad influences your eating, and I really didn't get a sense of that, as it seemed mostly he wasn't home all these evenings that you are eating so much. Or, is it the stress of knowing he'll be home soon?? Or do you see no connection at all? There is no doubt you're a binger, at night, that is. So, that's what you need to work on. I know how it is - most kids are hungry when they come home from school. One good thing I noticed is that sometimes you do eat healthy foods when you binge, so if only you could try to do that more often? Have a healthy filling snack when you come home, the just TRY not to eat anything until dinner. Another thing I've noticed is that it seems you are on your own too much when eating, so you have a tendency to just grab whatever's handy, and it's often not healthy food. Do you ever eat breakfast-type food for breakfast? Yes, you do eat a lot of ham and that would make you very thirsty, too...and sometimes thirst gets mistaken for hunger, did you know that? Next time you're hungry, try drinking a big glass of icewater and you may find it substantially inhibits cravings.

I do understand what you mean about how you wish someone could show you how and when to eat. I think the same way! It seems your parents aren't around most of the time that you're eating. If you had more structured mealtimes, I'm betting that would end some of this bingeing. Just try the things I said for a while and see if the make any difference. And before you go for more food, have a very good talk with yourself to find out if it's really hunger you feel, or is it something, like just boredom and maybe even lonliness. Food is often a replacement for things we're lacking in other areas of our lives, so this may also be something for you to think about.

So you wanna know about me, aaay??? Sure, that's fine, but I can do that real quickly, right now, as there's little deviation, I'm not a snacker, and every night I have my bowl of ice cream with chocolate sauce. I am a chocoholic!!! When I get up I have a glass of 1% milk, every day, around 8:30am. "lunch" is half a grapefruit, a small orange, a ver small bowl of cereal (Either Raisin Bran or Cheerios) and I use aspartame on it. I drink decaf coffee all day until about 3:00) Anyway, I also have a half a bagel with diet margarine. This is what I eat EVERY DAY, because I have to, due to inability to digest fats during the day, and that, due to gall bladder removal 30 years ago. By night time I'm hungrier, the worst time to eat, I know. Every dinner includes vegetables, meat, and a starch (either rice, potatoes or some type of pasta, and one night a week is meatless. My hub and I eat similarly, except he also has a glass of Ensure with every meal, so I guess you know I won;t eat like him in that regard. He eats more during the day than I do, a LOT more!! Our dinners are probably equal calories and he eats later than I do, of course. When he's eating his reheated dinner, that's when I have my icecream. My biggest problem is that most of my calories are consumed at night, the WORST time to eat. I'm certain it just all turns to fat. I have cut down a bit on the ice cream, and I'm doing it VERY gradually, so as I won't notice.

Re my daughter (and BTW, she's barely 5'1") I can't help but feel very bad. While I was very careful to have food just be food, she still had a fat mother and 2 fat great-grandmothers, oh, and one fat grandmother (her dad's mother) So, she inherited the tendency and I do feel bad about that...and her height, too actually. It had always bothered her that I more or less tower over her (I used to be 5'9" but I've shrunk due to spine problems) Her father was only 5'8", and his 2 sisters and his mother were also her height. Guilt, guilt guilt!!! I'm a typical mother, what can I say!!

So, Ms. Quencherito, if you want you can try some of my suggestions. It seems you do like fruits and veggies, so when you want to binge, try to grab foods that are good for you. I do understand about those almond cookies, tho - I LOVE them!!

I'll talk to you again soon, OK??

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Char/pam

Old 05-31-2004, 12:25 AM   #368
    Charlyssa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mabes
    Hi,

I have only just faced up to the fact that I have an eating disorder. It's strange, I've gone from one obsession to another - I used to drink and smoke a lot, I stopped both and turned to food! I'm now constantly thinking about food - earlier today I was full from dinner but continued to eat chocolate bar after chocolate bar and biscuits, until I ended up being ill. I suffer with IBS which I think I have caused by my binges.

Does anyone know if IBS is caused by food binges? I seem to have become so much worse in the past 2 months, since I stopped smoking and figure I'm eating that much more. I feel like I'm obsessed and think about starving myself all the time, about weighing food and sticking to that amount only. Then the following day I find myself hiding in the kitchen shoving chocolate into my mouth, it's disgusting.

I feel bloated, have lots of gas especially after I've overeaten which is at least once a day. I usually control myself until after my main meal in the evening and that's when I tend to just eat and eat and eat ...

I'd be really grateful to chat to others who understand. It really does frustrate me trying to work out why I am such an addicted person.

Mabes

Hi Mabes!!

Welcome!! And you've come to the right place, because everyone on this thread is affected by some sort of eating disorder. With the exception of our dear Aurora, we overeat and/or binge, so we do understand how you feel and what you are going thru.

I have IBS, too!! I've had it for 20+ years and it in NOT fun. In my case, I can definitely say that IBS isn't affected by my eating too much, but it can be affected by WHAT I eat. I'm actually more prone to attacks (the diarrhea) when I'm dieting, as then I'm eating LOTS more fruits and veggies. BUT, I have also gotten it after having a meal with too much fat, which is RARE, because I have digestive problems re fat. And I get the same gas, bloat, and even low abdominal gas pains, too, which is why i really hate to eat too much. I hate that uncomfortable feeling!!

I am not at all surprised that you have turned to food after quitting smoking and drinking. Food has now become your substitute for the other 2. I do not envy you, because I tried to quit smoking once, and did for 13 months...and gained 40 lbs. Hopefully soon you will be able to eat more sensibly once you're past the terrible cravings for cigarettes and alcohol. I mean, I look at it this way - you did kick 2 habits, so why not this one, too, you know??

Chocolate is my downfall, too!! I have the addictive personality, too - I also smoke, I used to drink, and I have an eating disorder, and chocolate is my other addiction. It has all those "feel good", endorphin-producing properties that make it almost like a drug. It actually relaxes me. Weird!!!

So please come back and visit with us. We care and we know what you are going thru!!!

Hugs
    Char/pam

Old 05-31-2004, 12:35 AM   #369
    Charlyssa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lauralee41077
    I would like to know if you girls have ever gone to your doctors and asked (or had) for blood work done on your thyroid? I am seeing too many of you who have a list of the same complaints (that I have experienced) I have prior history of ED and always focus on my weight. At the begining of April I went to the doctor because I was gaining weight...and I had an increased appetite. I always felt I needed to eat. Well...they did blood work and diagnosed me as hyperthyroid (graves disease). Usually in hyperthyroid you loose drastic weight (which is now happening to me) but in the begining your body is overworking so you have an increased appetite. Therefor you gain weight. Eventually your body cathes up and you being to loose. I lost over 30 pounds since april now. But there is also Hypothyroidism which no matter what you do, how little you eat you will gain weight. One of the main things is that these diseases often imitate depression. Your thyroid maintains and regualtes your body and is very important to your overall well being. Get yourselves checked. It could help.

Hi Laura Lee!!

Welcome!! I can't speak for the others here, but I did have a complete blood workup last fall and noo thyroid problems. My biggest problem is that I have ruined my metabolism by decades of gaining/losing/gaining/losing, so now I actually have to eat less than most people just to maintain a weight, and eat a LOT less, to actually lose. I wish I had something else to blame it on, but unfortunately, I don't!

The other problem is is that I take antidepressants and they also increase the appetite, tho the ones I'm on now aren't nearly as bad as some of the others I've been on.

But thank you for your helpfulness and caring. It definitely might be something for others to think about. Glad you're doing soooo much better now!!

Hugs
    Char/pam

Old 05-31-2004, 12:38 AM   #370
    Quencher
    (female)

Quencher HB User

Pam:
    Re the comp problem—I have a feeling as to what it could be. But I’m not quite certain yet from your description. Are ALL the colors distorted? Or just some of them? Do the colors seem darker to you? And less colorful, so to speak?

Yeah, I’m quite bored and lonely most of the time. And like I said before, I don’t think that my dad is linked to my eating since I SEE no connection. But Aury/Louisa suggest that it is. Plus, he does all that stuff usually at night when I'm asleep, or am getting ready for bed. So, that doesn't really gimme any time to eat afterwards. I just fall back asleep, haha. I don’t know. It’s all so complicated.

And you’re sorta right about my liking fruits/veggies. During lunch, I FORCE myself to eat it. And other times, yeah, I guess I just like ‘em. It’s hard to ONLY eat fruits/veggies, though… I like variety, I suppose. I usually don’t eat breakfast because I know I will eat a lot at night—but I recently just started. And no, I don’t really eat breakfast-type food for breakfast. It’s just me and a ham sandwich.

I’ve tried drinking a cup of water before eating-thing, but I don’t know. I’m still not “full” afterwards. And sometimes, too much water makes my tummy bloat and it feels really, really uncomfortable. Oh yeah, and I’m not actually on my own during the night. My brother’s always home with me. But he doesn’t quite understand what I’m doing. Plus, I’m always in the bedroom, and he’s always in the living room, so he doesn’t realize. And I KNOW that I’m not hungry when I eat. So, when I DO eat, I don’t even have to look into that.

Hmm, I honestly don’t see anything wrong with your diet—maybe except for the coffee and the ice-cream, but otherwise, I would say it were… uhh, pretty good? Compared to mine anyway. Do you have any bingeing episodes? If so, how often? Just curious. I would like to give you some advice of some sort, but I have no idea what to say.

Wep, I hate to tell yah but you have no control over how tall she is or how much she weighs. If it were inherited, that is. And if it was, then it just was. I don’t think you can do anything about that. So, please stop feeling guilty??

I see you're online right now, but wep, I'm off to bed. It's 4am already and I'm dead-beat tired.

Eschew obfuscation.

Last edited by Quencher; 05-31-2004 at 12:57 AM.

Old 05-31-2004, 09:57 AM   #371
    Charlyssa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quencher
    Pam:
    Re the comp problem—I have a feeling as to what it could be. But I’m not quite certain yet from your description. Are ALL the colors distorted? Or just some of them? Do the colors seem darker to you? And less colorful, so to speak?

Yeah, I’m quite bored and lonely most of the time. And like I said before, I don’t think that my dad is linked to my eating since I SEE no connection. But Aury/Louisa suggest that it is. Plus, he does all that stuff usually at night when I'm asleep, or am getting ready for bed. So, that doesn't really gimme any time to eat afterwards. I just fall back asleep, haha. I don’t know. It’s all so complicated.

And you’re sorta right about my liking fruits/veggies. During lunch, I FORCE myself to eat it. And other times, yeah, I guess I just like ‘em. It’s hard to ONLY eat fruits/veggies, though… I like variety, I suppose. I usually don’t eat breakfast because I know I will eat a lot at night—but I recently just started. And no, I don’t really eat breakfast-type food for breakfast. It’s just me and a ham sandwich.

I’ve tried drinking a cup of water before eating-thing, but I don’t know. I’m still not “full” afterwards. And sometimes, too much water makes my tummy bloat and it feels really, really uncomfortable. Oh yeah, and I’m not actually on my own during the night. My brother’s always home with me. But he doesn’t quite understand what I’m doing. Plus, I’m always in the bedroom, and he’s always in the living room, so he doesn’t realize. And I KNOW that I’m not hungry when I eat. So, when I DO eat, I don’t even have to look into that.

Hmm, I honestly don’t see anything wrong with your diet—maybe except for the coffee and the ice-cream, but otherwise, I would say it were… uhh, pretty good? Compared to mine anyway. Do you have any bingeing episodes? If so, how often? Just curious. I would like to give you some advice of some sort, but I have no idea what to say.

Wep, I hate to tell yah but you have no control over how tall she is or how much she weighs. If it were inherited, that is. And if it was, then it just was. I don’t think you can do anything about that. So, please stop feeling guilty??

I see you're online right now, but wep, I'm off to bed. It's 4am already and I'm dead-beat tired.

Hi Ms. Quench -

Awww, sweet of you to even comment about my 'puter problem. It's just sooooo frustrating when something happens and you don't know what caused it, much less how to fix it!! One thing I didn't mention is that the night before last we had about a 10min power outage here, and I've no idea why. I think it did something the 'puter didn't like - touchy things, 'puters, ya know? Yes, it's really messed with the colors, but I'm also responsible for some of that trying to fix it...by making some things worse. I tried to fix the backround color, end ended up changing other colors, instead. Somehow, I also messed with the fonts so letters are bigger, for icons and stuff - like "Start" is twice the size it was. In fact, I'm realizing that all the bottom icons are twice as big! I've really messed things up good!! I'm such a dolt. But, as for the color distortion...it makes backrounds of stuff, instead of being a solid color, like usual (even the backround color of these Boards, which are, I forget now, brownish????) Instead, the backround is like little squares of tiny dots which are red and grey. It also affects every picture you see, like on the net...they're not clear at all. So, it's like the dpi?? dpsi??? has been messed with, or something. I don't even know what I'm talking about....I'm sick of seeing dots. I have spots before my eyes!!!!! Anyway, I have clouds on my "Start" page, on a blue sky. Now, I have the clouds, but the sky is grey and weird-looking. To tell you the truth, I can't be sure it's a 'puter problem, or a monitor problem. I think I told you I've only been using a computer for about 1.5 years now, and most of what I know, is self-taught. I learned a LOT the hard way.

Well, of course I can't say positively, either way, whether the sexual abuse is responsible for your bingeing. It's just interesting that you eat normally during the day, but it starts when you get home. Course, I'm a night eater, too, but for different reasons. Oh, and I suggested eating more fruits and veggies when you're home, but not that you have to limit yourself to only those things. Just try making the snacks more of those things. And, I know it's difficult that your mom doesn't bring home dinner til late, but this is definitely part of the problem. Whatever she brings home, are there leftovers? If so, what you could do is reheat it and have it the next night for dinner, at no later than 7:30. And have your dessert right after dinner. Then, if you're hungry later, only fruits to nibble on. If you explain to your mom that you're gaining weight and need to diet, maybe she will buy you things that are better for you. BTW, my mom always used to say that you "rarely saw a fat Chinese person, because they eat so many vegetables and fish." Does your mom fix these dishes often? Because typically they're better for you, and you could probably fill up on them and not gain weight. Now see, I LOVE Chinese food, but I've heard that what is served in restaurants is not all that authentic. For example, I LOVE sweet and sour pork or chicken, but being deep fried adds calories, of course. But I love any of the chow mein or chop suey dishes and they're filled with vegetables. But I also love egg rolls and pot stickers, all fried!! And for the carbs, I love fried rice ans Chinese noodles (wet ) So, one CAN quickly gain weight on these things, but I've long suspected that much of it isn't very authentic, but you would know better than I. Anyway, if you just try to eat more fruits and vegetables, it will definitely help you calorically.

No, I guess I'm really not a binger, except for the nightly bowl of ice cream. I have more than a "serving", for sure!! More like 3-4 scoops. THAT is my biggest problem. I MUST have it....but I MUST learn how NOT to!!!!!!!!

Guess you're almost done with school now, huh? What will you do for the summer?

HUGS!!!!!!!!!
    Char/pam

Old 05-31-2004, 11:22 AM   #372
    Quencher
    (female)

Quencher HB User

Pam:

I think I have a solution to your computer problem-- for both the color distortion and size distortion. But one last question, are you using Windows XP? And do you have a mouse with a scroll?
    A power outage usually doesn't do anything unfriendly to your computer. I lived through the blackout of 2003. But anyway, the only real way it can affect the computer is if it were ON during the outage. That would yield unrecoverable files, and an improper shutdown. Nothing too major, though. It's equilvalent to just pushing the "restart" button. (Not via START, I mean). And as for computers. I learned the hard way, too. Everything I know--or I think I know-- is self-taught. So, it's normal to not know what to do when there's a problem. You're pretty good with the descriptions; there's no doubt there.

I think I know why I eat normally during the day. It's because school is keeping me occupied, and I'm not really supposed to eat during class. I have a lunch period at 12:10. And RE breakfast, I can't really sit down to eat a typical one. I wake up too late for that. So, I find that making a ham sandwich the night before, leaving it in the fridge, and just grabbing it for the go is the easiest solution for me. I eat on the train ride.

There are usually no leftovers from what mom brings home. We all have a habit of eating everything on the plate so as to not to waste food. And whatever we don't eat, we throw out because it wouldn't be good the next day or because there's too little left over to be worth keeping. We don't have a microwave/oven so there's no efficient way of reheating, except for recooking it. And who has time for that? And the thing is, every night when my mom gets home, she asks me, "What do you wanna eat?" And I tell her, "I already ate" and then she goes, "AGAIN?" and then she asks what I ate, and I don't really give a direct answer, so she probably thinks I'm lying or something. And so she gives me food anyway. And whatever she gives, I eat, argh. She's always telling me to eat MORE because it'll help me grow taller. Sometimes, she'll tell me that I'm too skinny. (Yeah, right.) And yet, at the same time, she tells me to not eat too much because it'll make me fatter. And yet, at the same time, she's always trying to stuff things down my throat! I don't know. She's contradicting herself!! And unlike you, she uses food as a reward. She tells me, for ex, "If you be good to your godg-ma, then I'll take you out for dinner at your favorite restaurant." And me, being me, I take it. (I dislike my godgma very much, btw. I didn't want her in the family in the first place. She just recently joined it. And now every weekend, I need to sleep on the same bed as she, and it's just argh.) I don't think either of my parents know that my weight gain is bothering me, or that it's due to all this bingeing. They have NO idea. But I know for sure that they know I AM gaining weight. My dad's all-too-frequent-not-so-nice comments and my mom's reaction when I got onto a scale. Well, that tells it all. "So heavy??" she asks.

And yeah, the Chinese food they serve at restaurants and whatnot are not authentic at all. They use excess oil/flavoring to make the foods look and taste better. And almost everything is somehow fried! They always find a way to throw it in a large pan and then "mix 'em" because that is the easiest way for the food to be cooked the quickest/most efficient. I know because my best friend's parents have a restuarant and I use to hang out around the kitchen. My mom doesn't buy take-out all too often. What I meant by "bringing home food" was she brings home stuff raw, and then cooks it, lol. So hence, she's bringing food home. She makes fish like... every day, and veggies too. But I don't really enjoy eating cooked vegetables. (Maybe except spinach). I actually like them raw. Celery, carrots, pickles, tomatoes, apples, oranges, pears, water melons, melon dews, cantaloups, bananas, peaches, plums, kiwis, apricots, strawberries, grapes, starfruits-- I like 'em ALL. But the thing is, we usally have one fruit at a time. Like, one week, we'll have a bag of apples, and the next we'll have a dozen bananas, but we never really have a true variety. No rainbow, here. (Remember that??) And as for fish. I don't really like fish-- except for one kind that I don't know the name of. Tuna's good, though, but my family isn't a fan of those.

As for school, I still have another month to go. And I SO dread it. I have SOOOOOOO many exams coming up, argh!!! Finals in ALL subjects on TOP of all the state-wide exams, which btw, I STILL haven't started studying for. I am STILL on page 5, haha. I spent the whole year slacking off--not because I'm lazy, tho-- but because I just didn't and still don't, have the energy/motivation to get myself to keep trying or even started like I used to. This, by far, has been the WORST school year ever in my life. And I have the grades to prove it.

As for the summer, I would REALLY like another job, but I'm too afraid to go and find another one. And I don't want to work in a whole new environment with new people, and have to go through the process of making aquaintance with co-workers and all that. And I SO fear rejection, and an interview too!! (First job didn't require an interview). I just wish I could work where I worked at before!! Everyone there made me feel special-- like I was needed/wanted and I belonged there. And I had SO much authority. In a one month's time, I was in control of the main register, and could basically do whatever I wanted. I was even able to order a 43 year old around, and the boss would be on MY side. I miss it SO much. Plus, I lost 10 pounds working there. How much more can I ask for? And I would also like to add that I didn't have this problem with food during this time!! Argh.
    Aside from working, tho, I REALLY want to take skating lessons, but that's out of the question. It's too much money for my parents, and even THEY say I'm too old. It's also useless. And they don't want me coming home with broken leg. Me, I'm willing to take that chance, but apparently they don't, so there's nothing more I can do about that.
    What are YOUR plans for the summer? Are you doing anything special with your family?

As for your icecream, well, I would SAY 3-4 scoops isn't too bad. Compare to my version of icecream, anyway, HAHA. But 1/2 cup is usually one serving. And one serving of chocolate icecream I would say shouldn't exceed 160 calories!! I think I said this before, but how about chopping a banana in there?? That way, it LOOKS more. Bury them at the bottom. You can substitute one banana for one scoop. Make a banana-split. Add some strawberries, as well. Fool yourself, you know?

Eschew obfuscation.

Last edited by Quencher; 05-31-2004 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Poor grammar!!

Old 05-31-2004, 01:02 PM   #373
    Charlyssa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hiya Ms. Quenchskater!!

I hope you can find a job because I think it would be good for you in many ways, like the last one was. There's no doubt you have low self-esteem, and that job, plus the environment, in general, made you feel good about yourself, for a change! You have cash register experience so you should be able to find a job somewhere around your neighborhood. Many times they put signs in windows, so, this summer, go on walks in your neighborhood...or, do you have little local papers? If so, look in those. A little effort is all it will take, and no negative thoughts!!! Be determined! Seek and ye shall find!! And all that... I know it's not easy to go in and apply, but what is the worst that can happen? You'll be nervous and a bit afraid, and maybe you won't get the job....but if you keep trying, every time gets a bit easier. And when you finally do find a job, you can save for ice skates and learn yourself. It's really not hard, just make sure your laced up tight for ankle support, then, just practice standing for balance. The "walk" in them. The short glides. Like anything, it just takes practice!! No one is ever too old to learn. Could you be a professional?? probably not, but the main thing is, it's something you want to do, so do it!! Watch other skaters and imitate them. You probably would meet people there who can teach you some things. No one taught me, I taught myself, and I actually got to where I could do some pretty impressive things.....like not falling every other minute. No, actually I could skate pretty fast, skate backward, do slow spins, and it was just all practice......and falls. LOL And getting back up and trying again. I LOVED to skate and that was my motivation. And I was a chub then, too, BTW, but I still did it. So you DEFINITELY can!!!

Re 'puter, I have Win98, and the mouse??? is just a mouse I think - nothing fancy. But as far as scrolling, I use the mouse for that, or, the arrow keys. Or is that what you meant?? but here's the other think I'm also noticing now - things are sluggish and jerky, like the cursor is all weird now, flashing?? And using the space bar is jerky. Everything seems strange and messed up. Yes, I leave the computer on because I hate booting. I just turn the monitor off. But YIKES!!! I haven't checked any of my files, pictures, etc, so I don't know if I'm missing anything. Now I'm not sure if I want to look. So you think you might know what the problem is??? Wow, if you could tell me, I'd sooooo appreciate it!!! I have been fiddling but nothing is working, and I'm only making some things worse. Like the fonts are now different, too. It's like an alien 'puter - someone took it in the middle of the night and replaced it with this...this.....WHATEVER it is. LOL

Eating raw fruits and veggies is actually the best way. So many of your eating habits are pretty good. Your mom seems to know there's a bit of a problem, so can you tell her the rest? or, at least a few more things? She knows you've gained, so that's the main thing. Can you ask her to bring home more fruits, at least 3 different kinds? I'm assuming she's buying what's on sale and then getting a lot of it. I have a tendency to do that, too....but then I get sick of it. Better to have a variety, which, I think, would help you a lot, I think, and hopefully your mom will do this for you. No microwave? Hmmm, that does make things a bit more difficult. Well, what time do you normally have dinner, and then what time do you go to bed? If there is at least a 3 hour difference, it should be OK. So, just have a snack when you come home from school, then some fruit &/or veggies in the evening, and then try really hard to have nothing more until your mom fixes dinner. All you have to do is TRY this - try this for just ONE night, for example, and then tell me how it went, if it was manageable. I keep reading that you should never let yourself get too hungry, as that's when we get into trouble and have a tendency to pick the wrong foods. Like cookies. LOL

You're right - I'd forgotten what you said about a banana, and I'm going to buy some and do that. Actually, I love ice cream with bananas and chocolate syrup, but I haven't done that in a long time. It would mean less ice cream, so I will do that! Definitely!!!

Yep, that's what I thought about "Chinese" food...but I have seen Chinese in these restaurants eating, and what they eat doesn't look like stuff on the menu. There was this Chinese restaurant near where we used to live in Illinois, and their food was sooooo good (where we live now, Chinese food isn't as good, and we've tried a few) But Chinese who would eat there mostly ate fish and vegetables. I remember this one time, they were brought a big dish of broccoli and that's all I think it was??!! And there were other veggies, too...and some sort of white fish. And they were slim. LOL We used to go to "Chinatown" in Chicago sometimes. I paid attention - I NEVER saw an overweight Chinese person!! So I know they eat waaaay more healthy than we Westerners, for sure.

I think you're done growing, sweetie. Eating more food won't make you grow taller, and if you're done growing, the only way you'll grow is in width, unfortunately. And using food for rewards...YIKES!!! That's how I was raised and look what happened to me. Tell your mom you'd rather have other things...like glasses!!! LOL And I'm sorry, but I REALLY do think all of your academic struggles are largely because you are having such a hard time seeing books, papers, etc. It seems you can talk to your mom easier...can you try again when your dad isn't home?? I REALLY don't think either of them understand how bad your vision is. The ONLY way they will know is if you tell them. And you really do need to, and I know you know that.

OK!! All for now!! Hope you have a great day!!!!

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Char/pam

Old 05-31-2004, 02:02 PM   #374
    Quencher
    (female)

Quencher HB User

Yeah, I hope I can find a job, too, haha. That previous one did wonders for me. I actually started to “hang out” with my co-workers at some point—going to movies and all that. I was the youngest worker there. I was 15, and everyone else was in their late 20’s or early 30’s. And everyone treated me like a little kid, which I actually adored. But unfortunately the store closed down. What luck, huh? And now we’ve all lost contact.

I was actually referring to inline-skating, but I like ice-skating equally as much. I already know how to skate, both inline and ice, but I would like to improve on it. Instead of just going forwards/backwards and jumping all over the place like a lunatic, I would actually like to try the “U-ramps” and the other more tough & challenging courses. I think I can do it, but if only my parents would let me try!!! Argh. And you sound like a pretty nifty skater yourself. How about exercising in that sense??
    RE saving money for lessons myself, well—all the money I earn goes to my father. He keeps all the checks. The only money I really keep is my birthday/Christmas money. And I use that for other things, like clothing.

Yeah, I guess it does seem as if I can tell my mom more of what I tell my dad. However, whatever I tell HER, it’s gonna circulate to my dad within the next 24 hours. I’m pretty certain of that. She tells him EVERYTHING. My mom has a tendency to buy whatever’s on sale and a LOT at once, so yep—I get sick of them quickly. I usually eat dinner around 9/10PM, and then go to bed at 12/1am. So, I guess there is a bit of a time difference. BUT, I sometimes eat AFTER dinner, too, haha. I try EVERY DAY to save my stomach until dinnertime, but it’s simply TOO long of a wait for me. I get home around 4, so that’s basically SIX hours of waiting!! I’ve tried countless times, but it just doesn’t work.

So, you’ve never seen an overweight Chinese person? Wow, I find that hard to believe, but I DO believe you. I just find it weird, because I see quite a few of them here. In Hong Kong, however, EVERYONE’S skinny. I guess it’s just a New York thing?

Ahhh nooooo. I don’t wanna be done growing!!!!!! That’s such a hard concept for me accept. I still have hope to reach at least 5’5.5”!!! Just 5.5 more inches to go. Argh. Can I stretch myself? Hahaha. I wish there were miracle pills that actually WORK.

I think both of my parents have completely forgotten about my vision. It’s been 3 years since the day I got my eyes check during that physical for the track team. I think they think that I’ve ‘recovered.’ Plus, they’re not gonna do anything about it. They’ll just ignore/yell at me and tell me it’s MY fault like last time. All the "I told you so" speeches. Because in a sense, I DO sorta blame myself. I mean, if I didn’t work at the computer so much, then maybe my eyes wouldn’t be so bad?? They’ve warned me before numerous times. “Don’t go on the computer so much. If your eyes go bad, don’t be blaming and come crawling to us!” and yaddie yah. But, I didn’t listen. If only I didn’t take my vision for granted beforehand and just LISTENED. I didn’t mention this before, but my parents also have something against glasses. For example, they don’t refer to my classmates by name. They’ll be like, “Oh, you mean the four eyes?” And they always told me that having glasses would make me not pretty. And that always bothered me a bit. But anyway, that’s completely irrelevant and nothing new!!! Sooooo, now for your poor computer—

Try this.
     Right click on your desktop
     PROPERTIES
     SETTINGS tab-- Under SCREEN RESOLUTION, make sure it’s 1024 by 768 pixels—or whichever is the HIGHEST.
     Under COLOR QUALITY, make sure it’s NOT 256, and change it to the HIGHEST bit. That’s usually 32 BIT, if not 16 BIT is also good.
     Now, under THEMES tab, make sure you have the default one set. Or, sometimes it’s called “WINDOWS CLASSIC” or “WINDOWS STANDARD.”
     Now, under the APPEARANCE tab, make sure color scheme is “WINDOWS STANDARD.” Make sure Font Size is set to DEFAULT/normal. Make sure Windows/Buttons is set to DEFAULT, if applicable.
     Click OK. And if the comp asks you if you wish to keep these settings, click YES. Then wait, and give the comp a few minutes to settle down. It's normal if it blacks out for a while.

Tell me how that goes.

As for the space bar/flickering cursor and sluggish-ness, I'll address those later.

Just turning the monitor off would not cause any file loss, so don't worry about that. I was referring to simply shutting off CPU without going through the "start>>shutdown" process. THAT can lead to problems, and you can lose UNSAVED files.

Edit:
    Oh yeah, I just thought of something. Re the ice cream-- how about purchasing those cup-cones to eat from rather than a bowl? Then fill the cup with sliced bananas (to take up space)... and then put a scoop of ice cream on top of it?? Surely, it would be difficult and even frustrating to eat a cup-cone if it were piled up with 3-4 scoops, given they're pretty small, yah know?? Therefore, you'll limit yourself to 1-2 scoops instead. How does that sound?

Eschew obfuscation.

Last edited by Quencher; 05-31-2004 at 03:57 PM.

Old 05-31-2004, 04:02 PM   #375
    Aurora
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Aurora HB User

Hiya peeps,
    Quench ya know you said you were pretty sure that my mum had gotten the hint - well I dunno, afterall she did tell my teacher 9 years ago that she was talking rubbish and I had no problem.
    Charly whats your opinion on the comment (post 360 I think) about me wearing kids clothes? I'm curious because you are a mum and maybe you can give me some insight from that view. Do you agree with Quench and think she was just acknowledging something?
    Quench you say that can't work undr pressure and thats quite understandable. But maybe you culd find some voluntary work or some club that you don't have to commit to so strictly. Maybe you can do it at the weekend or just one night a week. I think it would be good for you in the long run.
    Yes as you say I was fairly athletic as a teen and maybe I was popular but I was betrayed by a group of friends and that stuff sticks around. As a result I constantly doubt people, I am paranoid that they really hate me or something, so I have never enjoyed a moment of feeling popular. And the athleticism was just my way to cope with my food problems. Afterall one cannot eat whilst swimming or whilst playing in the band! And all the extra calories burned were just making me more proud of my determination to be thin.
    Copped it big time today from the unit staff for skipping saturday. Then I had only maintained so they were convinced I must have starved for the past few days. And I didn't, honestly.
    The thing is, and I told them this today, although I say I am 100% willing to fight this, I am still yearning to give in. I hate to say it. It must be so annoying to hear it, but thats the truth. I find myself dreaming of ways to burn a few extra calories, or skip a meal or two, or anything else like that. I am constantly having to fight the urge to order ipecac, which is stupid. I have started spending agonising amounts of time scrutinising myself in the mirror to see where the weight gain is. I have lists and lists of measurements to compare - waist, hips, arm, leg, etc etc.
    Then to top it off my friend called ( the one who told me I was being selfish and whose partner told me never to discuss this stuff with her again) and she told me that she started a diet last week and is worried that if she stops dieting now she will gain back the weight lost. She says she appreciates how I feel more now. And wants me to help her through it. How though? I can't help myself through it.
    I'm scared. I think I am failing this. I'm scared that I maybe want to fail this.... *****, sorry I am so messed up right now.
    I will keep going for now though and see if I can get past this.
    Thankyou for all your support for all this time.
    Oops too much to say so I will post this and carry on replying to your posts.
    H xoxo

Closed Thread