It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• muscle twitches

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2004, 11:19 AM   #1
    mayansun
    (female)

mayansun HB User
    muscle twitches

Hi,

I am in the midst of trying to sort out a bunch of symptoms and pursuing the physical and mental routes together. Upcoming appointments include psychologist, brain MRI, neurologist. I've had dizziness for a month which came out of nowwhere but during a stressful period. It is a ***** feeling that just doesn't go away, some days are better than others. I have begun to worry about all sorts of things (MS, tumors etc) because I have also had more headaches than usual, and these twitches which occur mostly when I am lying down and trying to get to sleep. I find myself in tears alot due to the frustration of feeling like this and not knowing why and the fear of learning it might be something awful..

But I am particularly curious about the muscle twitches (for lack of better term) and does anyone else experience this with anxiety?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2004, 11:25 AM   #2
    jeffster
    (male)

jeffster HB User
    Re: muscle twitches

I have this sometimes too, and I assume it's from the anxiety. It's from being so on-edge I think. I really wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:10 PM   #3
    chriscwharris
    (male)

chriscwharris HB User

Hi,

I think most people with anxiety and panic disorder have experienced the same "thoughts" as yourself. When my anxiety kicked in about 2 years ago now I thought I had everything from MS to Heart problems to Cancer and tumors.

It's been a rough trip so far but with periods of almost normality! The first 6 months were the worst, trying to understand why after 33 years of my life I suddenly get this thrown in my face. I've had periods of extreme dizzyness, buring sensations, twitches, weird head pains and headaches including migraines, nausea, weird hearing symptoms, palpatations you name it.

I've been pretty well checked out, my heart is fine, bloods are normal, pretty healthy though could be fitter!

I've had periods of months where the anxiey and panic have subsided then boom, here comes another set of symptoms. The thing is you have to keep your life going as near normal as you can. Stop analysing every pain (I admit sometimes I find it hard to ignore!) As long as you've been checked out then you have to believe the docs and look to the future.

One things for sure, I don't intend to let the rest of my life pass me by. I have bad days, sometimes weeks, but I also have a family and a future that I want to enjoy. The last couple of weeks have been a bit up and down... headaches, panic episodes, bit of lightheadedness, but I make myself get up and do things. Often the anxiety eases away without me noticing. I hope things settle down for you!

Old 05-24-2004, 12:39 PM   #4
    Rick7799
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rick7799 HB User

You could have something called restless leg syndrome. This is a common thing. They will want to rule everything out and then diagnose you with RLS. I have it and it is worse when trying to get to sleep. I have a problem with stress and anxiety and there is no doubt in my mind it is worse when my anxiety level is high. At first it scared me and I would worry about it and it just got worse. Now that I know what it is, it's not as bad. Stress can cause so many things to go wrong.

Old 05-24-2004, 03:49 PM   #5
    jete23
    (female)

jete23 HB User

Are you taking anything for the anxiety-it could be a side-effect of a med you are on?

Old 05-24-2004, 04:56 PM   #6
    bertie6

bertie6 HB User
    Smile Re: muscle twitches

HI,

I wrote about this problem a month or two back..i As well went through a traumatic period after the death of a familly member....i got sicker than usual..more anxiety than usual...dizziness, and muscle pain and twitching as well..i went to doctors and physical therapy, and they didnt really find anything wrong...now almost three months later, i find that the symptoms have subsided...they still occur, but not as often..give it a while more..and if it gets worse..then get another doctor's opinion... Also, I myself am just trying to change my mode of thinking...thinking so negatively at first probably just made my symptoms worse...so maybe it will help to change your way of thinking, and not feel that everything happening to you is a bad disease or something. I hope you feel better soon! --Rose

Old 05-25-2004, 06:57 AM   #7
    mayansun
    (female)

mayansun HB User

Thank you for the replies. It is just troubling to have these things happening with no, as yet, explanation. I try to sleep and my arm or leg or thumb will jerk briefly (not painful and not continuously). I am trying to change my thinking and that is how I hope the psychologist can be helpful and I update my PCP regularly as things stay the same or progress in addition to keeping as detailed a journal as I can about what is happening so that when I get to see the neurologist i am as prepared as possible to discuss what is going on.

I have noticed that my dizziness (which started out quite bad and I would have trouble walking and even lying down was rough) has receded and is now more of a fog / light head (not affecting my cognitive ability or functions) that just feels off. And a wierd "sleepy" sensation in my right leg, again no change in muscle strength but just a off feeling.

I am not currently on medication but recognize that might be part of solving this after other avenues are explored.

I appreciate the feedback of others. The other part I can't help but wonder is that what if it is something like MS that doesn't always appear on an MRI and could appear later, have any of you who have been through these tests had them re-done after a period of time for this reason?

Old 05-25-2004, 10:50 AM   #8
    JAKE89

JAKE89 HB User

The Famous twitch. I had the same exact thing happen to me about 6 months ago and i was on this site everyday. It scared the hell out of me. I would stay home and just think and think and think of the worst things that it could be. What helped me a lot was reasearching GAD generalized anxiety disorder. Muscle twiching is a common symptom. Now here i am 6 months later and im honestly 90% better. Once i stopped thinking about it and doing others things the twitching slowed down a lot. You might want to reasearch GAD on the net and look at the symptoms. I also was going through a very stressfull time in my life and thats when it started. Hopefully this helps.
    Good Luck.

Old 05-29-2004, 10:04 AM   #9
    PETALS

PETALS HB User
    Post Re: muscle twitches

It Sounds Like Restless Leg Syndrome. Some People Experiance Pain Discomfort.mine Is The Urge To Move My Legs And Now It's In My Arms As Well.it Does Bother More At Night(bedtime).but Mine Can Appear Whenever. If I Start Feeling A Little Tired During The Day, Or While Driving. Red Lights Are H***!! I Would Rather Get Out A Walk.the Neuro Doc Had Me On Requip(parkinsons Meds).i Now Take Mirapex. Try Taking A Very Hot Bath Apprx 20 Min. See If That Helps.go Straight To Bed Before Your Body Cools Off. This Can Help Me 80% Of The Time. Hope This Helps!!

Petals
    P.s. I Do Take Lexapro As Of 2 Months Ago. For Me Theres No Change

Old 06-01-2004, 02:58 AM   #10
    veryworriedguy

veryworriedguy HB User

I have a condition called Benign Fasciculation Syndrome...basically, I have fine muscle twitching all over my body (feet, legs, arms, head, eyes, back) for the past 5 months. Sometimes I can actually see the muscle sort of pulsating, other times I can't...and it only lasts for a second at a time but pretty much constantly all day. I don't feel them when I'm up an moving around but they come whenever I am sitting or lying down. I took a battery of tests (MRI, EMG, NCS, blood tests) which ruled out MS, ALS, and the other serious disorders...so my doctor simply said it was BFS possibly triggered by a period of deep anxiety I was going through. Anyway, on one hand I am happy to know its not MS or ALS or something, on the other hand, this condition is very annoying and I have a hard time concentrating on anything. Can anyone else relate to this? Any idea of what I can do to ease the symptoms at least?? Will it ever go away???

Closed Thread