It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Leg pain and burning nerve in foot

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-04-2003, 04:32 PM   #1
    Rexford

Rexford HB User
    Angry Leg pain and burning nerve in foot

In 1994 I developed a severe pain in my right calf. I was referred to a neurosurgeon, who diagnosed it as spinal stenosis, causing a pinched nerve. In February 1995 I had a laminectomy without a discectomy at L4-5. This caused my right leg to be completely numb. I was told that the numbness would go away. At this time I was also told that I might experience a burning sensation in my foot. About 2 weeks after surgery, I had regained enough feeling in my leg so that I could walk. The burning in my foot started about the same time. When I talked to the surgeon about it, his response was ďI have seen this go on for years.Ē It has. I have taken ametrypolne (sp?) but all it does is make me tired. In Oct 2001 I had a spinal fusion at L5 S1. A different surgeon, he told me he could stop the burning in my foot, and the pain in my left leg. His diagnosis is degenerative disc disease. The pain in my left leg has gotten worse, hip, thigh and just above the buttocks. The burning in my right foot has also continued to get worse. I now take neurontin at 400 mg 3 times a day for the burning nerve. That helps sometimes. With the burning in my foot, I canít relax and I donít sleep well. Is there anything short of more surgery that might give me some relief?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2003, 04:46 PM   #2
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User
    Rexford,sorry to hear about all your pain and problems welcome to the boards and I'm sure others will be along soon that might have more answers mostly I didn't want to leave you hanging out there I'm still waiting to find answers and alternatives to my back problems you are not alone and there is a lot of support and knowledge here.I will post my signature at end to let you know my story.I wish you much success in finding help and answers.
    Linda

------------------
    6/13/99 Fell at work
    WC allowed claim:thoracic sprin/strain; lumbar sprain/strain;lumbosacral sprain/strain WC approved 22 chiro visits
    NO relief asked referrel to PM Dr.started PM 8/25/99 mri said to be normal slight bulge L4/5 all request for further testing denied.
    8/01/01 I paid for discogram from local orthepic surgeon after given 2 4mg. shots morphine discogram found to be normal
    WC approved 3 epidural inj.NO HELP
    10/03/01 started treatment Cl.Clinic on private ins.
    MRI:Cl.Clinic L4/5 disc bulge w/neuroforaminal impingement
    X-RAYS:Cl.Clinic L5/S1 spondylothesis
    3 more epidurals no help
    2/01 discogram Cleveland Clinic:L4/5 disc bulge contrast moved towards posterior asppect of that disc w/midline fissures in the medial annular fibers disruption
    L/5-S1 level also abnormal.
    Update;at that time I was prescibed a spine cath idet/denied WC denied privat ins.
    since have been living on pain meds prescribed by the approved WC PM Dr.
    vicodin 10/660 4xday
    neurontin 400mg.3xday
    soma 350mg.2xday
    oxycontin 40mg.2xday
    No further treatment then meds everthing denied by both ins.
    Pri.Ins found out going to Cl.Clinic because of Wc accident refused pay ment for any med. bills ended up in bankrupcy court.
    6/14/03 pain worsened and many other complications.
    6/21/03 ended up going to Cl.Clinic ER was a bad nightmare,after being there for over 24 hrs. was released at my demand
    X-rays showed DDD and arthritis at 2 or 3 levels.;diagnosis upon release STRAIN/SPRAIN
    7/1/03 mediation to prepare for trial by jury 12/17/03
    7/8/03 WC hearing to discontinue all meds,medical treatment

[This message has been edited by jdlfmc (edited 07-05-2003).]

Old 07-04-2003, 05:12 PM   #3
    Tony111
    (male)

Tony111 HB User
    Hi Rexford,

i am sorry to hear that you are going through all this. I too have DDD and two failed spine surgeries. one cervical oand one lumbar. I also continue to have chronic pain.

Have you seen a Pain Management doctor to see if they can offer you something more than just the neurontin? They can do steroid injections close to the nerve or spine that is causing the pain and burning. Some people get good pain contol with these. Also, you may benefit from opiod pain meds. The long acting ones are the best for chronic pain. Methadone is very inexpensive and seems to help more with nerve pain...ie. "burning" pain. Also, something to help you sleep at night like Ambien..there are many more as well.You will most likely need a referral to a pain management doc from you primary care doc or any other treating doc.

Take care and good luck!

Tony
    C7 - Psuedarthosis(collapse of bone graft and chronic nonunion)
    T1,T2,T3-Herniations
    L4-5&5-S1 - Surgical Fusions with Instrumentations-2001
    Spinal DDD
    Chronic Headaches
    Fibromyalgia
    Chronic Pain Syndrome
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 07-04-2003, 05:14 PM   #4
    Tony111
    (male)

Tony111 HB User
    Hi Rexford,

I am sorry to hear that you are going through all this. I too have DDD and two failed spine surgeries. One cervical and one lumbar. I also continue to have chronic pain.

Have you seen a Pain Management doctor to see if they can offer you something more than just the neurontin? They can do steroid injections close to the nerve or spine that is causing the pain and burning. Some people get good pain control with these. Also, you may benefit from opiod pain meds. The long acting ones are the best for chronic pain. Methadone is very inexpensive and seems to help more with nerve pain...ie. "burning" pain. Also, something to help you sleep at night like Ambien..there are many more as well. You will most likely need a referral to a pain management doc from you primary care doc or any other treating doc.

Take care and good luck!

Tony

------------------
    C4,C5,C7,T1 Spinal Stenosis
    C5&C7 Radiculopathies
    C5-6,C6-7 Surgical Fusions-1991
    T1,T2,T3-Herniations
    Spinal DDD
    Chronic Headaches
    Fibromyalgia
    Chronic Pain Syndrome
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    T1,T2,T3-Herniations
    Spinal DDD
    Chronic Headaches
    Fibromyalgia
    Chronic Pain Syndrome
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 07-05-2003, 10:47 AM   #5
    Rexford

Rexford HB User
    Hi Tony,

There isnít a pain management center close to here. I have tried the steroid injections, nerve blocks, spinal tap and even had an SI injection. All were a waste of time and money.

The only thing I have found that offers even short-term relief is Reiki. Iíve been taking Reiki treatments for about 2 months. A couple of days after my first treatment, I felt better than I had in years! Not good, but much better. My left leg still hurts like blazes, but I now walk without leaning on my cane, and I have been able to go fishing a couple of times. The treatments have even helped the burning in my foot. I had a treatment this past Wednesday and have had some actual relief from the burning. I donít understand Reiki. It has something to do with the bodyís energy field. I just know that it works for me and I would recommend it to anyone.

Doug

Closed Thread