It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• recovering from cervical discectomy w/ fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2003, 09:55 AM   #1
    AngelicMoon
    Inactive

AngelicMoon HB User
    Post recovering from cervical discectomy w/ fusion

On June 30, 2003 I underwent a cervical discectomy w/ fusion at C5-C6. The first few days after surgery I felt that all my symptoms had either improved or disappeared. Going into the second week after surgery the pinching in my neck returned to full force, headaches and numbness and tingling returned milder than before surgery. My arms and my legs are very weak. I voiced this to my surgeon at my 2 week post op visit and he said this was all normal. Is it? I am in a neck collar for 4 more weeks. Also, how long after surgery is expected for a FULL recovery?? I also have two other bulging discs at C4-5 and C5-6. I am hoping neither of these herniated as well. Any comments appreciated!

[This message has been edited by AngelicMoon (edited 07-24-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2003, 11:44 AM   #2
    Ann Proctor

Ann Proctor HB User
    Hi there

I had ACDF with fusion (own bone) on 21 June at 2 levels 3-4 and 5-6. My pain has never really gone. The pain I have now is different though to what I had before. Beforehand, my whole arm would ache and gradually build up to WOW pain!!! (I'm sure you know what I mean). However post op my pain is in different parts of my arm - it just keeps moving around. I'm also experiencing tingling, numbness and itching. I spoke to my surgeon yesterday and he said all this was a good sign that i'm healing fine. I have been able to take my collar off and only wear it now when I go in the car, and I can start doing small things now. In a couple of weeks time I'm going to start swimming again hopefully this should put some strength back into my arm.

Have you been on the spinal cord board on this forum - it's very helpful I only wish I'd found it sooner.

Old 07-24-2003, 01:05 PM   #3
    cardinal
    Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
    Hi, welcome! Yes, please ck out the spinal cord board, many great post there. I had c 5-6-7 fused, no collar, March 18. I still have numbness and tingling more so on opposite side of what I had. In the am it is worse, probably from shifting in sleep. The sides of my face are numb. I go for my final follow up next monday, I will post results. My right should hurts alot. Anytime I have done housework etc I hurt. I think we just need to be careful and expect some pain. I am just so worried that I will aggravate it. I too have bulging discs at L3-5, degenerative and arthritis. I had L5/s1 removed in 1999, now it is collapsed, bone on bone. So dealing with upper and lower it is difficult to do exercises. But since surgery the orginial problem has gotten better, numbness etc right side. I just feel like I have no support in my neck, like balancing a bowling ball on a toothpick! Hopefully time will make it stronger. It gets discouraging, when you can't do the things you use to. Are you working? I am still out and don't plan on being able to return. That is a major lifestyle change. Hang in there and the more you read rest asurd you are not alone!

Old 07-24-2003, 10:18 PM   #4
    AngelicMoon
    Inactive

AngelicMoon HB User
    Talking

Thank you both so much for replying. I had posted this on many message boards to no avail. Your kindness has touched me. I will check out the spinal board as well. I too have arthritis in my spine with degenerative disc disease. I was so hoping that I would really be feeling better by now. I actually feel as if I am going backwards. I am not currently working and am afraid to return to previous job at all. I cook in a school cafeteria. Alot of heavy lifting and such. I think when/if I am able to return to work, I will be finding a different job. This has got me down so much as I am an active person, who works hard, a single mom, who loves to spend time doing active things with my daughter. I am so limited to what I can do. Basically nothing. I take a shower and I am exhausted. Today I am in such pain again, I am not comfortable anywhere. it is very difficult to type as well. Also, how long did you take pain meds after surgery? I am still taking them.

Closed Thread