It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• L4-5, L-5-S1 laminectomy w/ spinal fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2004, 07:39 PM   #16
    onthemendnow
    (female)

onthemendnow HB User
    Re: L4-5, L-5-S1 laminectomy w/ spinal fusion

Hi mlachowicz ... I had a fusion but it was needed to stabilize my spine (spondy) so didn't have any choice to make like you. Your symptoms sound just like mine pre-surgery. I too tried non-invasive "fixes" before reaching out for surgery and so far, it's helping. Good luck with your decision and yeah, try to have a positive outlook.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2004, 05:16 AM   #17
    mlachowicz
    Veteran
    (female)

mlachowicz HB User

Hi There Monas!

1stly, I would like everyone to keep Misty in there thoughts today, as she is undergoing surgery. I am positive that our well wishes and support combined will make her recovery much easier!

Having that said,
    My Dr. who is a nuerosurgeon specializing in the spine and brain, is right now leaning more towards the lami/discetomy. I agreed to it, based on my promise to myself earlier yesterday. I was getting myself so stressed out over this situation that I was literally having aniexty attacks. I finally told myself that I have complete faith in Dr. and whatever he feels is best for me at this time is what I will do. One of my very good friends had a discetomy is 1998, (preformed by same Dr.) and she is WONDERFUL! However, her discs were not degenerative. I am trying to be positive and push all my negative thoughts away, but there is still that peice of me that is not completely sure.

Dr said I will be in the hospital for 1-2 days as opposed to 3-4 with fusion.
    There was no mention of rehab, however, my mom is off from work all summer so she will be here to assist with caring for my daughter. My husband will also be here to help, however, owns a business so is obligated to keep that up and running.
    I am actually already in therpy, I see both a physio and a theripist, as I was diagnosed with OCD a year ago. I am currently on Zoloft, which I must say is helping me thru a lot of the ups and downs.
    I have not thought about tools... please advise?

Thanks again for all your support and advice

Old 06-25-2004, 05:27 PM   #18
    mlachowicz
    Veteran
    (female)

mlachowicz HB User

Hi All, it's me again... I can't seem to get enough...

I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally got my surgery date, 7/8/04.... I can't tell if I am scared out of my mind or if I am thrilled that my pain may actually finally go away!.......... Imagione waking up without pain, not "zingers" down your legs.... Hummmm, nice thoughts huh?

At any rate, I just wanted to keep ya' all posted. I will let you knoe how it goes.................

mlachowicz

Old 06-25-2004, 06:14 PM   #19
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hi!

I just wanted you to know you have come to the right place for support -- as I'm sure you can already tell! When you feel nervous or scared .. just come here and post your thoughts... this is a wonderful group. Like you I experienced a lot of nerve related issues prior to my surgery. Even though I knew I was making the right decision based on all the symptoms that were getting progressively worse(foot drop, leg weakness, leg shrinking), there were still were days prior to surgery that I would literally pick up my phone and start dialing my surgeon's number to cancel. I was driving my husband crazy. He would say .. "you know there really isn't an option here...with what is occurring with your leg". But, there was still something in the back of mind saying that I would get better on my own.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know I noticed relief from the nerve related issues almost immediately following my surgery. You are in my thoughts and definitely anytime you feel the need to discuss how you're feeling ... this is a great to place to come and talk about it!

Jo [/FONT][/COLOR]

Old 06-25-2004, 06:38 PM   #20
    onthemendnow
    (female)

onthemendnow HB User

I know it's scary before AND after the decision but you've made an informed decision.

Now ... time to get ready and prepare your surroundings for your homecoming. (Post Surgery Tips)

Old 06-26-2004, 05:26 AM   #21
    mlachowicz
    Veteran
    (female)

mlachowicz HB User

Thanks everyone! You really have been great to me!
    I am going to go to the post op tips and print them out so I can prepare... only 2 weeks away!

Old 06-26-2004, 04:57 PM   #22
    mlachowicz
    Veteran
    (female)

mlachowicz HB User
    Re: L4-5, L-5-S1 DISCETOMY

HI Everyone!

Just a quick question... since I have decided on going thru with the discetomy and not the fusion, do I still need the post-op recommendations that you have listed?
    If anyone out there has gone thru this surgery, please give me your comments and advice. How did you feel before, and after surgery. What was recovery like? How long until you were feeling better and so on.
    Please be as honest as possible, as I have a small child that needs to be taken care of and I must get some sort of schedule together so I know what I can and can not do.

Isn't amazing how many different emotions can go thru your body all at one?!

Thanks again!
    mlachowicz

Old 06-26-2004, 05:42 PM   #23
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hi!

I had a microdiscectomy in 1999. I did really well post surgery; but the one item I wish I would have had (which I got for home after my fusion), was the 3 in 1 commode. It fits over the toilet seat for your desired height and can also be used as a shower chair. I can still remember how low that toilet seat felt when I sat on it after my microdiscetomy and I am really happy I have it this time around!!

Jo [/FONT] [/COLOR]

Last edited by Fiona_Jo; 06-27-2004 at 03:08 AM.

Old 06-26-2004, 10:21 PM   #24
    Monas

Monas HB User

G'day mlachowicz,

so you have a date set, thats great! one step closer to pain relief hopefully! when i got my date set i had a million emotions running through me! i was excited, scared, relieved, stressed all at once. i remember i had to go into hospital on the sunday and my op was on the monday, so being 19 i decided to go out and have one last bender with my mates as i new i was not going to be able to drink for a year. i was having the night of my life cos i was excited to get it all over with but once the alcohol levels rose i became quite scared and emotional! man i wish i could go out now!!!!

in your post you said you will be in hospital for 1-2 days, thats pretty good, i found it odd that you would be only in for 3-4 if you had of had the fusion, i spent ten days in hospital and then 2 weeks in a rehab hospital after my fusion, everyone's surgeons are so different!
    sounds as though you are going to have a lot of supoort post op which is a must!

i would suggest you do still get a reaching aid as it is so hand, especially when you drop the soap!!!! i have a raised toiloet seat and a shower stool which i am still using to this day, mainly as a pre-caution now as i dont want to get rid of them until i've had my 1st post op xray to see if i have fused. im not too familiar with the restrictions you will have post op, as i am still not allowed to bend/twist/reach etc. your suregon should advise you as to what you will need.

monas

Old 06-27-2004, 06:37 AM   #25
    mlachowicz
    Veteran
    (female)

mlachowicz HB User

Jo & Monas:

Thanks so much for the good wishes & advice. I will look into getting some of the things you both mentioned, & also what's on the "list" .... Time to go shoppng!

My Dr. said that discetomy was an "easier" operation, (shorter recovery, shorter stay in hospital, so on) My friend had this surgery in 98, she said she went in for surgery in the am, & was dischaged & home by noon the following day. I don't know, I guess all I can do is play it by ear. Can't imagine that any back surgery is "easy" but, what do I know?

If you can let me know where I would purchase these items I would be thrilled! Thanks again!
    mlachowicz

PS: Jo, you had mentioned you had discetomy in 99... how long after did you re-herniate? I am still wondering if my decision to go thru with the "smaller" surgery & not the big ole' FUSION is the right one?!?!? G*D how I will kick myself in the A** if I am back in for the fusion 2-3 months after the discetomy!

Old 06-27-2004, 07:19 AM   #26
    onthemendnow
    (female)

onthemendnow HB User

Hi ... If there's a Linens & Things near you, they sell the reacher for about 10 bucks.

Old 06-27-2004, 07:46 AM   #27
    mlachowicz
    Veteran
    (female)

mlachowicz HB User

onthemendnow:
    Thank you! There is a linens & things near me... I will be sure to stop there and pick it up!
    mlachowicz

Closed Thread