It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• 5 years post cervical CA

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2004, 05:15 PM   #1
    hurriedh

hurriedh HB User
    5 years post cervical CA

I am 5 years post radical hyst and internal and external radiation for cervical CA. All my paps have been normal. In fact my pap was normal 7 months before I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma. Recently my pap came back abnormal and I had colposcopy and biopsy. It came back high grade dysplasia. I am being treated with chemo cream. Has anyone ever been treated with this before and were there side effects and did it work?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2004, 07:19 AM   #2
    jjgo6

jjgo6 HB User
    Re: 5 years post cervical CA

Adenocarsinoma? Was it In Situ or Invasive? Would you please share more info? Thanks! Take care!!

Old 06-06-2004, 05:15 AM   #3
    hurriedh

hurriedh HB User

It was invasive stage 2A. It wasa large tumor hanging into my vagina. 7 months before I had had a clean pap but I got pregnant about the same time as the clean pap and the doctor felt that the increased hormones made the cancer grow very fast. I was diagnosed on the day I gave birth to my daughter.

Old 06-25-2004, 06:46 PM   #4
    Missfit58

Missfit58 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hurriedh
    I am 5 years post radical hyst and internal and external radiation for cervical CA. All my paps have been normal. In fact my pap was normal 7 months before I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma. Recently my pap came back abnormal and I had colposcopy and biopsy. It came back high grade dysplasia. I am being treated with chemo cream. Has anyone ever been treated with this before and were there side effects and did it work?

Hello,
    I am curious that you had a hyst with your cancer. My mother is going thru this right now she just had a conalization. and the doctor came out and told us that he could see the cancer and quite a bit and she has to have chemo and radation. and a hyst will not solve the problem he doesnt want to to a hyst at all.my mother is 67 years old. the only signs of this was abnormal bleeding. the first biospy was neg and the second was neg.we are wating to hear about this on but he said he seen it and this is how he wants to treat it. does anyone have any answers please.
    cheryl

Old 06-28-2004, 06:54 PM   #5
    hurriedh

hurriedh HB User

You don't say what your mother was staged at. The stage of the cancer will tell the course of treatment. If the cancer is a little larger or if the nodes are involved then the doctor will not do a hyst. With some stages the treatment is hyst OR chemo/radiation. Stage 1A usually has a hyst if the nodes are not involved. Stage 1B can be a hyst or chemo/radiation if the nodes are not involved. My hyst was actually due to radiation damage. I had radiation and had some damage to my bladder and vaginal vault and ended up having repair work done and this inclued the hyst. Since the doctor did not see catch the cancer during the previous biopsies it sounds like hers may be in the cervical canal and that cancer is harder to detect because it hides up inside the cervix. It has to grow be enough to extend out of the cervix to be seen. I will keep your mother in my prayers. Find out what stage her cancer is at and then you can see if her recommended treatment is the standard.

Old 06-28-2004, 07:36 PM   #6
    Missfit58

Missfit58 HB User

I want to thank you so much for your reply. It sounds like you had been thru alot. We just found out today that my mother has 1b balky invasive squamous cell of the cervix he said the bad kind because it grows inwards and up.I really still dont understand this all.But he doesnt know if it is in her lymphnodes.But she has to have 5 weeks of radation and 5 weeks of chemo once a week. After its all done she has to go in the hospital to have some kind of radation inserted in her and be there for two days.And then they can tell if she needs 5 more days of radation. You may know what I am talking about.My sister took her today so she is mentally drained.We are afraid my mother is going to be really sick.He said it could damage her bowels and she could end up with a bag but they have to tell everyone that.I am glad you you are doing good. How did you take the treatments? Did you get really sick? Thank you for keeping my mom in your prayers.God Bless You!

Cheryl

Old 06-29-2004, 06:38 PM   #7
    hurriedh

hurriedh HB User

The external radiation bronzes your skin like a sun tan. They will do a simulation where they mark where they will direct the beams. They stuck a "marker" in my rectum, some sort of rod while they were doing the simulation to be sure that they don't irradiate anything that they don't have to. They remove the marker when the simulation is over. The radiation makes you tired and you have weekely blood work. I also had nausea from day one of the radiation but they can give you medication for that. I had diarrhea pretty bad and that persists after all this time although not as bad as it had been. I really have to watch what I eat. The internal radiation I also had. I was in the hospital for 2 days. They insert the device that holds the radiation rods under general anesthesia. They hold it in with gauze packing and a couple of sutures. Then you just lay there for a couple of days. It pertrudes out of you about 4 inches so you can't sit up. I was on a morphine pump during the 2 days although it was more uncomfortable than painful. Then when they remove it it is pretty "uncomfortable". It is about 4 inches wide and they pull it out. The gauze sticks to your insides and pinches as they pull it out. The whole thing is not pleasant but it is doable and your mother is still young enough to bounce back fine. If you have any other questions about either of the radiation treatments or anything else feel free to ask. You can only have clear fluids for the couple of days in the hospital. I took books and lollipops to suck on. You cannot have food because if you have a bowel movement it would dislodge the device holding the radiation. It is amazing the things I find myself talking about after all of this! Who would have thought I would be discussing bowel movements with a complete stranger!!. I pray everything works out for your mother. Take care.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:43 PM   #8
    Missfit58

Missfit58 HB User

Thank You So Much For All You Information Sounds Like Alot To Got Thru. I Am Wondering If My Mother Will Really Get Sick From The Treatments Her Chemo Is Three And Half Hours Long The Slow Drip. She Shares A Place With My Brother And He Works Days Out Of Five Kids Me And My Sister Are Going To Be Taking Her I Also Have A Bad Back And Watch My Grandaughter.but I Am Wondering If My Mom Will Have To Have Some With Her All The Time. How Did You Do It, Did You Have Help? Will She Be Really Sick Or It Depends On The Person? Dont Worry About The Bowels That We Talked About. My Mom Already Has The Runs. Shes Not Happy About That At All. Thanks Again For Your Information,
    Cheryl

Old 06-30-2004, 06:24 PM   #9
    hurriedh

hurriedh HB User

I did not have chemo as it was only in the past few years that chemo has been found to be beneficial with cervical cancer. She will definately be tired and probably sleep alot. And most people do get sick with the chemo and some get sick with the radiation. There are meds that help though with the nausea. You will probably need to spend alot of time with her at first and see how things go. Side effects of treatments usually progress as time goes on. She will get through the treatments though. Best of luck to you and her and the family. Make sure she gets her rests and continues to eat nutritious foods. For the diarrhea potatoes, rice, bananas and pasta help. No spicy sauce though and no raw fruits and vegetables. Talk to a dietician for the best foods to eat. I will be thinking of you all and keep you in my prayers.
    Heidi

Old 06-30-2004, 07:51 PM   #10
    Missfit58

Missfit58 HB User

Hello Hedi,
    YOU HAVE REALLY BEEN A BIG HELP. YOU HAVE ANSWERED ALL MY QUESTIONS, AND I AM VERY THANKFUL FOR THAT. I AM GLAD YOU ARE YOU WILL BE KEEPING US IN YOUR PRAYERS. ALL THIS STARTS NEXT THUR AND I WILL SURE GET BACK TO YOU AND LET YOU KNOW HOW THINGS ARE GOING. SHE HAS THE SCRIPT FOR THE PILLS FOR SICKNESS. THANKS AGAIN AND GOD BLESS. IF YOU DONT MIND MAY I ASK HOE OLD YOU WERE WHEN YOU WENT THRU THIS. MY MOTHER DID NOT HAVE A PAP FOR 10 YEARS I THOUGHT SHE DID SHE WENT FOR HER MAMAGRAMS AND I THOUGHT SHE HAD DID HER PAP THE SAME TIME. BUT THATS IN THE PAST AND THERES NO SAYING THAT SHE SHOULD HAVE BECAUSE ITS TOO LATE. I KN0W DEEP D0WN IN HER HEART SHE WISH SHE SHOULD HAVE WENT. SHE JUST LOST A BROTHER DUE TO LUNG CANCER AND A BROTHER-IN LAW TO BLADDER CANCER.AND THE BROTHER IN LAWS DAUGHTER HAD JUST WENT THRU CHEMO AND RADATION FOR BREAST CANCER AND THEN MY MOM FOUND OUT SHE HAD CANCER ALL THIS HAPPENED IN 5 WEEKS TIME.YOU TAKE CARE AND I WILL GET BACK TO YOU ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU : CHERYL

Old 07-01-2004, 03:59 AM   #11
    hurriedh

hurriedh HB User

It sounds like your family has been through a lot of illness. That is a lot for one family to handle. I was 32 years old when I was diagnosed and the doctor said "if you weren't so young I would think it was cervical cancer". I guess it can happen at any age.
    You keep up the pap tests.
    Heidi

Old 07-03-2004, 04:23 AM   #12
    Missfit58

Missfit58 HB User

Yes we have been thru alot of illiness and we will get thru this one. You were very young.I have never heard of that kind at all. But I went back and read all your post.My sisters husband just went thru cancer of the tonsil 2 tears ago and he has to have 3d radation on the neck, he was a very sick man. he lost 50 lbs. So far hes two years free but his was stage 4 he has a 10 percent chance to live.I want to thank you again I sharedf all this with my sister, It really helped ALOT.
    CHERYL

Old 07-03-2004, 07:34 AM   #13
    lbp35
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lbp35 HB User

Misfit,

I hope you don't mind, but this question is regarding your sister's husband. My friend was diagnosed with stage 4 tonsil cancer also. He has to have 7 weeks radiation and 3 rounds of chemo. He had his 3rd and is at his 5th week of radiation. The chemo makes him very sick and weak and his throat is burnt up pretty bad. His doctor did not tell him about the 10 % chance of beating this, was your brother'n'law's cancer in the lymph nodes and did he have to have surgery? Thank you very much& God bless

Old 07-03-2004, 05:29 PM   #14
    Missfit58

Missfit58 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lbp35
    Misfit,

I hope you don't mind, but this question is regarding your sister's husband. My friend was diagnosed with stage 4 tonsil cancer also. He has to have 7 weeks radiation and 3 rounds of chemo. He had his 3rd and is at his 5th week of radiation. The chemo makes him very sick and weak and his throat is burnt up pretty bad. His doctor did not tell him about the 10 % chance of beating this, was your brother'n'law's cancer in the lymph nodes and did he have to have surgery? Thank you very much& God bless

Hello,
    No I do not mind at all.They did not know at first it was in his tonsils they thought it was in his lymph nodes.So he did have surgery to remove those lymph nodes.A matter fact he had two surgerys.He never had any chemo he only had 13 weeks of 3d radation.Yes Mikes throat was burnt pretty bad to he could not eat anything. He was a very sick man for a long time.They told mike when he had the cancer his chance was only 10 percent of living. But he has made it thru this. I hope your friend does well and he will bounce back, It took Mike a long time he stayed in the bed all the time he was so weak and sick.And had sores in his mouth from the radation.Hope all comes thru for your friend. God Bless You And Your Friend

Old 07-03-2004, 06:49 PM   #15
    Missfit58

Missfit58 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Missfit58
    Hello,
    No I do not mind at all.They did not know at first it was in his tonsils they thought it was in his lymph nodes.So he did have surgery to remove those lymph nodes.A matter fact he had two surgerys.He never had any chemo he only had 13 weeks of 3d radation.Yes Mikes throat was burnt pretty bad to he could not eat anything. He was a very sick man for a long time.They told mike when he had the cancer his chance was only 10 percent of living. But he has made it thru this. I hope your friend does well and he will bounce back, It took Mike a long time he stayed in the bed all the time he was so weak and sick.And had sores in his mouth from the radation.Hope all comes thru for your friend. God Bless You And Your Friend
    Hello I just talked to my sister he had a 30% chansce not a 10 as I stated before. He also had three surgeries. It was in his lymph nodes and they didnt know it was coming from his tonsil. He even had to have a suction machine at his bed side all the time. He had 35 lymph nodes removed. The doctor said it is very rare that it starts in the tonsils.After all the radation was over one day his neck got so red it was burning they had to rush him to the hospotal they was wscared and he was ther for two days. He finally got better the doctor said that that was probably going to happen. Did the doctor give your friend a percent of chance of surviving.I hope all goes well.
    Cheryl

Closed Thread