It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Relationship Health Message Board

  • Boyfriend still in love with ex

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 07-01-2004, 03:25 PM   #1
    lolliegirl
    Junior Member
     
    lolliegirl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 37
    lolliegirl HB User
    Boyfriend still in love with ex

    I met my boyfriend about a year and a half ago and everything was great. We moved into together after only being together for three weeks. In the beginning he told me that I was the one, he wanted to marry me and I was the best girlfriend he has ever had. I thought he was the one and thought I was so lucky to have a boyfriend that loved me like he said he did.

    About six months ago, we got into a discussion about his ex-girlfriends and I just was curious and asking him questions about them. He talked about the last two, but when I asked him about the first one which they broke up 11 years ago, he became very angry and said he did not want to talk about the past and that he doesn't ask me about my past. I, of course, became angry too because I feel like we should be able to talk about anything, since he calls me his best friend. We argued for a while and finally he told me that she was the girl that was the one and almost cried when he talked about her.

    All of his friends and family say that she is a *****, skank, drunk and that they had a very volatile relationship and fought all of the time, she even smashed out all of his windows. He will still not say a bad word about her, he defends her when anyone says anything bad about her, even in front of me. In his eyes she is the perfect woman.

    It has been almost six months since that conversation, and I can't get over it. I am a complete basket case. I think about her everyday and what they did together, what she is like, does he still think about her, would he pick her over me. I still bring her up to him and everytime it is a different story. Sometimes he says that she doesn't compare to me other times he says that she was his true love. I feel like I was lied to and tricked. My self-esteem has went down the toilet, I don't feel good enough and I cry everyday because I feel like second best; the fill in girl. I am going to school and since this has happened I can't concentrate, my grades are sinking and I am not happy.

    Our relationship has not been the same since, I am very standoffish towards him and we even talked about breaking up last night. We decided to give it one more chance, but am wondering whether it is worth being with someone who doesn't love me the way I want to be loved. I don't know how to handle this, I never thought I would be second best to another girl. I really need advice on how others would handle this situation.

    Last edited by lolliegirl; 07-01-2004 at 03:36 PM.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 07-01-2004, 03:37 PM   #2
    Ruth6:11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Ruth6:11's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 3,339
    Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User
    Re: Boyfriend still in love with ex

    I can tell you what the WORST that can happen is - because it happened to me.
    I was dumped after 2 1/2 years when my boyfriend's ex-girlfriend - who dumped him 6 months before we met - called and left a message at his parent's house.
    Of course he called her and started seeing her even though we had been discussing honeymoon locations for when we got married.

    To make a long story short, I cried morning and night for weeks. Felt totally worthless and unloved.
    Got a cat so I'd have something to come home to and then realized that I was just fine if I never met another man in my life. I had a place to live and a job that paid my bills.
    6 months after the guy I almost married dumped me - I met my husband.
    We've been married for 15 years now.

    And THAT is the worst that can happen.
    Not so bad, is it??!!

     
    Old 07-01-2004, 03:44 PM   #3
    cdjcpc
    Member
     
    cdjcpc's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Posts: 56
    cdjcpc HB User
    Re: Boyfriend still in love with ex

    Where is this ex now? Is she still around and does he see her?

     
    Old 07-01-2004, 04:13 PM   #4
    lolliegirl
    Junior Member
     
    lolliegirl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 37
    lolliegirl HB User
    Re: Boyfriend still in love with ex

    Let me just say that I am not worried about him leaving me for her. She is married to some millionaire and has two kids. She still lives in our city and I have seen her a couple of times. What I am worried about is being with someone who is wishing I was someone else. I feel like I am getting short-changed because his heart belongs to her and was wondering if it is better to leave or is it possible to make this work?

     
    Old 07-01-2004, 04:36 PM   #5
    cdjcpc
    Member
     
    cdjcpc's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Posts: 56
    cdjcpc HB User
    Re: Boyfriend still in love with ex

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lolliegirl
    Let me just say that I am not worried about him leaving me for her. She is married to some millionaire and has two kids. She still lives in our city and I have seen her a couple of times. What I am worried about is being with someone who is wishing I was someone else. I feel like I am getting short-changed because his heart belongs to her and was wondering if it is better to leave or is it possible to make this work?
    Maybe this is the time to lay it all on the line. You need to tell him that your are being confused by his mixed emotions about his ex and that it's affecting your views on the relationship and how you feel about him. You need to be honest about what you're feeling and why. You also need to be honest with him. You can't expect him to know what you're feeling unless you spell it out very clearly. Let him know that you aren't happy feeling like you're someone he settled for because the one he wants isn't available. If he can't come to terms with the fact it's over (and OVER should mean OVER) with the ex, then you may need to separate for a while until you both have come to terms with this issue and he's decided to let go of the emotional baggage. It's not fair to either of you or your relationship.

     
    Old 07-01-2004, 04:53 PM   #6
    lolliegirl
    Junior Member
     
    lolliegirl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 37
    lolliegirl HB User
    Re: Boyfriend still in love with ex

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdjcpc
    Maybe this is the time to lay it all on the line. You need to tell him that your are being confused by his mixed emotions about his ex and that it's affecting your views on the relationship and how you feel about him. You need to be honest about what you're feeling and why. You also need to be honest with him. You can't expect him to know what you're feeling unless you spell it out very clearly. Let him know that you aren't happy feeling like you're someone he settled for because the one he wants isn't available. If he can't come to terms with the fact it's over (and OVER should mean OVER) with the ex, then you may need to separate for a while until you both have come to terms with this issue and he's decided to let go of the emotional baggage. It's not fair to either of you or your relationship.
    I have told him how I feel many many times but he just says that I am very insecure and doesn't want to discuss it. He says I take everything personally and get too upset, but I can't help it because I want to be the one for him and I can't handle hearing how wonderful she was. I have told him many times that I feel like the fill in girl and that he has settled for me and he just says I am crazy and that is the end of the conversion. I don't know how to have an open and honest conversion with someone who is not willing to be open and honest.

     
    Old 07-01-2004, 05:27 PM   #7
    cdjcpc
    Member
     
    cdjcpc's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Posts: 56
    cdjcpc HB User
    Re: Boyfriend still in love with ex

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lolliegirl
    I have told him how I feel many many times but he just says that I am very insecure and doesn't want to discuss it. He says I take everything personally and get too upset, but I can't help it because I want to be the one for him and I can't handle hearing how wonderful she was. I have told him many times that I feel like the fill in girl and that he has settled for me and he just says I am crazy and that is the end of the conversion. I don't know how to have an open and honest conversion with someone who is not willing to be open and honest.
    Ok, here's my question...Are you comparing yourself to her or is he? You may be setting yourself up for failure if you are taking what he says about her and automatically making a comparison. Your insecurities may be getting the best of you and you might need to agree not to discuss her at all.

    If he's making the comparisons then there's an obvious problem because no matter how much you talk, you'll never be her, nor should you try to be.

    I agree that you can't have a conversation with someone who is not willing to be open and honest, but be careful what you ask for. It sounds like he's been honest about how he feels about this girl and you weren't quite prepared to hear it. That may be why he's shutting down when you try to talk to him now. He may be avoiding these conversations to protect your feelings and he may not understand what it is that he needs to do for you to feel more secure.

     
    Old 07-01-2004, 06:17 PM   #8
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    susieq0726's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2004
    Location: Oregon
    Posts: 2,441
    susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
    Re: Boyfriend still in love with ex

    Take my advise: Let it go. You are driving yourself crazy and will drive him away in the process. It was 11 years ago! Maybe she did break his heart. So what? IT WAS A LONG TIME AGO!
    The only way I can compare this (and this may sound morbid) but what if he had been married to this woman and she died, and was now dating you. Would you question him about his love for her? I know that is a little "far-out there" but here's my point: The people that come and go in our lives make us who we are today. Some come and stay, some go, some we forget, others we never forget, and some break our hearts. It's all part of the learning process of life. Don't let this destroy your relationship. It sounds that you have a great thing going and your insecurity may mess it all up. He sounds like he truly loves you. You have to remember that we ALL have a past, and sometimes some things are better left there. I know this because it happened to me. I ruined a great relationship with someone because I questioned his past. It drove a wedge in our relationship and we never recovered from it.
    Focus on your future - Your future with him!

     
    Old 07-02-2004, 08:18 AM   #9
    eightball61
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: ma
    Posts: 9,600
    eightball61 HB User
    Re: Boyfriend still in love with ex

    I agree with susieq0726


    You need to let it go. Don't force the past because it could ruin things for your future. Everyone has a first love and his happen before you. A lot of people have a hard time letting go but that doesn't mean that is heart is not devoted to you.

    Last edited by eightball61; 07-02-2004 at 08:49 AM.

     
    Old 07-02-2004, 08:21 AM   #10
    elatedgiraffe
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    elatedgiraffe's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2004
    Posts: 1,783
    elatedgiraffe HB User
    Re: Boyfriend still in love with ex

    The fact is: it is YOU and HIM. He has told you that you are crazy when you say that you feel second best. That means, he does not feel you are second best. Get over it. You've been pestering him about it for 6 months. If you can't get over it I think you should break things off before this all ends bad. I'm not trying to be harsh--but really---he is with you. You asked him about his ex to begin with. (when you play with fire, you get burned). Its not like he just talks about her daily. He kept her out of your relationship. You are the one who brought her into it. I'm not trying to be harsh and I'm sad that it hurts you so much. I can't tell you whats the right way to feel, but I honestly think you are going to chase him away by not letting go of this issue. So you can run him off, break up with him, or jet let it go. Those are your options.

     
    Old 07-02-2004, 09:18 AM   #11
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    susieq0726's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2004
    Location: Oregon
    Posts: 2,441
    susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
    Re: Boyfriend still in love with ex

    Eightball & Elated are right. People (and men especially) do not like to be badgered about things over and over and over again. It gets very old very quickly and prevents you from moving on in your relationship. Women can be be naggers from time to time, (and I am a woman btw) and if you're bugging him about something that happened YEARS AGO - Not good. Nag him about throwing his yesterday underwear on the floor, not about a girlfriend 11 yrs ago.
    This may take some work on your part. It did when it happened to me, but you will learn and be smart about it. Remember to pick your battles. Fight the fights worth fighting - You will have more credibility with him.

     
    Old 07-02-2004, 09:23 AM   #12
    eightball61
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: ma
    Posts: 9,600
    eightball61 HB User
    Re: Boyfriend still in love with ex

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by susieq0726
    Women can be be naggers from time to time,

    I think I am part women because I am the same way. I like to nag and try to talk about a problem over and over which makes the situation worse. I have to learn to stop this. We all have things that we disagree on but sometimes its valuable to just accept it for what it is or you will never beable to grow or see past that.

     
    Old 07-02-2004, 09:46 AM   #13
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    susieq0726's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2004
    Location: Oregon
    Posts: 2,441
    susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
    Re: Boyfriend still in love with ex

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightball61
    I think I am part women because I am the same way. I like to nag and try to talk about a problem over and over which makes the situation worse. I have to learn to stop this. We all have things that we disagree on but sometimes its valuable to just accept it for what it is or you will never beable to grow or see past that.

    And the worst part about nagging about the past, is that you can't change it. It is what it is - But you can change the future!

     
    Old 07-02-2004, 09:48 AM   #14
    eightball61
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: ma
    Posts: 9,600
    eightball61 HB User
    Re: Boyfriend still in love with ex

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by susieq0726
    And the worst part about nagging about the past, is that you can't change it. It is what it is - But you can change the future!

    Thats true but when I nag i find it has to do with current arguements and I just want to keep discussing it even after we stopped...I have to stop that

     
    Old 07-02-2004, 10:02 AM   #15
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    susieq0726's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2004
    Location: Oregon
    Posts: 2,441
    susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
    Re: Boyfriend still in love with ex

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightball61
    Thats true but when I nag i find it has to do with current arguements and I just want to keep discussing it even after we stopped...I have to stop that

    LOL!!!!!!
    HA! HA! You made me smile with that one! At least you're nagging about current events. That's way better than beating up the past. And hey,,,give yourself a break - We are all human and need to just nag once in awhile!
    Here's something you might want to try: If something is eating you, write down ALL the issues pertaining to the problem BEFORE the nag fest begins. (I say write them down so you won't forget something) Make an agreement that after they are all out in the open and discussed, you can't bring them up again. It's called "The Fair Nag Amendment" My husband and I do this and we end up cracking up over the whole thing and usually can't remember what we were nagging about and usually don't care by then!

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    My boyfriend likes big breasts secretsmiles Relationship Health 20 04-20-2011 03:25 PM
    Boyfriend and Father HATE each other... HELP!! Candice561 Relationship Health 10 07-29-2010 02:01 PM
    My Boyfriend's Mother Hates Me gmp377 Relationship Health 11 08-25-2008 07:23 PM
    Boyfriend vs. Other Guy. Thoughts. (Sorry this is long) DoubleMint Relationship Health 8 03-06-2008 06:55 AM
    I'm in love with a girl whose boyfriend is a friend of mine Jack Smith Relationship Health 109 08-15-2007 01:24 PM
    Ex-boyfriend still in my head, and I want him out! plasva Relationship Health 5 04-29-2006 09:48 AM
    My Boyfriend is BP, How do I help him through this illness.? madlyinlove Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill 24 03-10-2004 04:19 PM
    Boyfriend's 8 year old daughter... ana_24 Parenting Issues 5 01-29-2004 07:43 AM
    Is my boyfriend in love with his best friend? GettingWellAgain Relationship Health 7 12-12-2003 09:11 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:06 AM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!