It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Alcohol Self Detox w/Xanax

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-05-2004, 09:32 PM   #16
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User
    Re: Alcohol Self Detox w/Xanax

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita
    Hey, it's not just the half life but since they are low potency with the availbility of low dosage pills, they are easier to cut down! A 3 mg. Valium is like a quarter potency of a 1 mg. Ativan. Easier to reach those low, low dosages when cutting up pills!

In referring to receptors, benzos are not all created alike. They do have different chemical compounds, and effect the brain a bit different although basically alike; for example, Klonopin is the one which has anti-seizure benefits and is prescribed for such, Ativan and Xanax are more for panic/anxiety, and ones like Restorial and Halcion are strictly hypnotics. Ambien is only slightly able to pass for non-benzo, missing one receptor activity. But it bites just like the benzo.....it's sort of that obnoxious 2nd cousin always horning in on family events.

See, although in the same family, benzos are different chemically and how they effect the brain; I'm guessing alcohol, since there are so many different types, might be sort of like that too?

But both share the same effect of being absolutely no good for anyone on a regular basis.

Anyway, I agree with you basically on all counts. Hopefully this guy/gal (where?) in the meantime, while we are chatting, is getting himself off the booze safely and being careful to avoid getting hooked on Xanax in the process.
    Jennita,

Internet benzo brain science and recovery is a world of it`s own, complete with it`s own creeds and terminology, and a wide range of claims and testimonies. I`ve done my homework. I`d say I believe about 25% of it, take 50% with a grain of salt, and reject the other 25. I told you my source on the receptor binding, check it out. I do not necessarily buy it myself. Ashton concludes her manual by saying that more research is needed and, in so many words, that she is not claiming to have the final word. That is responsible of her in my estimation. Unfortunately, many that have spring boarded from her are far more sure of themselves and engage in much embellishment, somtimes to the point of the bizzare. What I do buy for sure is that Valium is the best benzo to taper, that I need to minimize stress, and come off these drugs. That is all I need to know.

On the alcohol, as far as I know, ethyl alcohol is ethyl alcohol, produced through fermentation. I doubt there is much of an analogy between this and certain pill types within a family made by chemists in a science lab. But if you come to believe there is, feel free to affirm it here without challenge from me. But do not expect me to accept it uncritically or invest my attention with it. IMO, there comes a time to get on with one`s life and stop fuming at drug companies, doctors, and world economies, stop reading internet horror stories that often may be totally unrelated or only partially related to benzos, stop analyzing brain theories, and stop reading the posts of a minority that remains around the net overtly or invertly promising others long term doom and gloom. This is a disease all it`s own. I am closing that chapter.

To those with the drinking problem, I`d say A.A. is probably your best source. They have been at it 60 some odd years. They can help you decide if you are alcoholic and give good guidance about how to get and stay sober. And you may just find a good home among these many fine people. But like anything else, you got to want it...

Last edited by howard678; 07-06-2004 at 10:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2004, 11:30 AM   #17
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by howard678
    Jennita,

Internet benzo brain science and recovery is a world of it`s own, complete with it`s own creeds and terminology, and a wide range of claims and testimonies. I`ve done my homework. I`d say I believe about 25% of it, take 50% with a grain of salt, and reject the other 25. I told you my source on the receptor binding, check it out. I do not necessarily buy it myself. Ashton concludes her manual by saying that more research is needed and, in so many words, that she is not claiming to have the final word. That is responsible of her in my estimation. Unfortunately, many that have spring boarded from her are far more sure of themselves and engage in much embellishment, somtimes to the point of the bizzare. What I do buy for sure is that Valium is the best benzo to taper, that I need to minimize stress, and come off these drugs. That is all I need to know.

On the alcohol, as far as I know, ethyl alcohol is ethyl alcohol, produced through fermentation. I doubt there is much of an analogy between this and certain pill types within a family made by chemists in a science lab. But if you come to believe there is, feel free to affirm it here without challenge from me. But do not expect me to accept it uncritically or invest my attention with it. IMO, there comes a time to get on with one`s life and stop fuming at drug companies, doctors, and world economies, stop reading internet horror stories that often may be totally unrelated or only partially related to benzos, stop analyzing brain theories, and stop reading the posts of a minority that remains around the net overtly or invertly promising others long term doom and gloom. This is a disease all it`s own. I am closing that chapter.

To those with the drinking problem, I`d say A.A. is probably your best source. They have been at it 60 some odd years. They can help you decide if you are alcoholic and give good guidance about how to get and stay sober. And you may just find a good home among these many fine people. But like anything else, you got to want it...
    I agree; I don't spend alot of time reading about benzos or posts as much as I used to, as we do have lives. Mine is still pretty full as both kids still at home, elderly parents to look in on and a husband always traveling so it's like I'm single sometimes as I deal with most everything from bills to repairs; I have had to cut down the time I spend on the internet alot. I usually spend at most, 1/2 hour max on the internet with the healthboards unless I am reading regular news and such. Most of what I've read about benzos is from my past reading, and just to let you know, some of it did not come from the benzo groups but other sources on the internet too.

But I don't read much about it these days, because basically one just realizes after all the reading, that it really boils down to benzos are bad for the brain, period. But I will always be anti-brain drugs, so I'll always be floating around the net now and then.

You know, AA is the best from what I hear! My husband's friend went there and is a fully recovered former alcoholic; he met his wife there and now they have 3 kids....how's that for a happy ending? Nice to hear that can happen in life, huh?

Hopefully anyone on the board with alcohol problems will look into AA as an option.

Old 07-06-2004, 07:43 PM   #18
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Quote:
    I agree; I don't spend alot of time reading about benzos or posts as much as I used to, as we do have lives. Mine is still pretty full as both kids still at home, elderly parents to look in on and a husband always traveling so it's like I'm single sometimes as I deal with most everything from bills to repairs; I have had to cut down the time I spend on the internet alot. I usually spend at most, 1/2 hour max on the internet with the healthboards unless I am reading regular news and such. Most of what I've read about benzos is from my past reading, and just to let you know, some of it did not come from the benzo groups but other sources on the internet too.

But I don't read much about it these days, because basically one just realizes after all the reading, that it really boils down to benzos are bad for the brain, period. But I will always be anti-brain drugs, so I'll always be floating around the net now and then.

You know, AA is the best from what I hear! My husband's friend went there and is a fully recovered former alcoholic; he met his wife there and now they have 3 kids....how's that for a happy ending? Nice to hear that can happen in life, huh?

Hopefully anyone on the board with alcohol problems will look into AA as an option.
    I am really glad you and I have a lot of agreement. I hope I did not come on too strong... I am burned out with thinking and analyzing about this. Have been fighting this addiction for going on 9 months now, and am still tapering the drugs. I have good and bad days and moments. I feel I need to keep it quite simple and recieve rather give until this business is over. The benzo troubled people that come in here, go get them. I have faith in you.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:27 AM   #19
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    I am really glad you and I have a lot of agreement. I hope I did not come on too strong... I am burned out with thinking and analyzing about this. Have been fighting this addiction for going on 9 months now, and am still tapering the drugs. I have good and bad days and moments. I feel I need to keep it quite simple and recieve rather give until this business is over. The benzo troubled people that come in here, go get them. I have faith in you.
    Thanks, howard, I will. I understand about the burnout. You probably should take some breaks here and there from all of this benzo talk; then come back again, feeling better and you'll be ready to rumble!

Old 07-09-2004, 10:37 AM   #20
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Quote:
    Thanks, howard, I will. I understand about the burnout. You probably should take some breaks here and there from all of this benzo talk; then come back again, feeling better and you'll be ready to rumble!
    Actually, I think I have finally lost any real interest in any "rumble" with strangers on the internet. Is a misappropriation of time and energy for me. In the real world I get paid for doing this, and I need the $.

Last edited by howard678; 07-09-2004 at 10:48 AM.

Old 07-09-2004, 11:43 AM   #21
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Actually, I think I have finally lost any real interest in any "rumble" with strangers on the internet. Is a misappropriation of time and energy for me. In the real world I get paid for doing this, and I need the $.
    Hey, but you post so well and I know you are getting through to people about these drugs! I bet tons of people who don't even reply do read your posts and they benefit from them. I wonder sometimes just how many out there have gotten off benzos because of you?

I know it can be time consuming; I limit myself to only replying to a few posts and limiting responses to only getting certain key points across to people (except for you, howard, I seem to write you alot more than most!). some days I don't post at all.

Anyway, I hope to see you continue to post now and then in the forums, I think you are helping alot of people....but you don't have to make it a full-time job! I don't do that; you shouldn't either. But don't completely walk away, check in now and then because I know you have a way of really getting across and helping people who are confused about these drugs.

Old 07-09-2004, 04:28 PM   #22
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Quote:
    Hey, but you post so well and I know you are getting through to people about these drugs! I bet tons of people who don't even reply do read your posts and they benefit from them. I wonder sometimes just how many out there have gotten off benzos because of you?

I know it can be time consuming; I limit myself to only replying to a few posts and limiting responses to only getting certain key points across to people (except for you, howard, I seem to write you alot more than most!). some days I don't post at all.

Anyway, I hope to see you continue to post now and then in the forums, I think you are helping alot of people....but you don't have to make it a full-time job! I don't do that; you shouldn't either. But don't completely walk away, check in now and then because I know you have a way of really getting across and helping people who are confused about these drugs.
    I`ll do what I can later, plate is real full at the moment. Thanks for the compliment. Right now, with what free time I have, watching TV with a glass of tension tamer tea is more theraputic.

Last edited by howard678; 07-09-2004 at 04:31 PM.

Old 07-09-2004, 04:39 PM   #23
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

Howard.....turn the computer off and go for a walk...hehehe. Best to go offline for awhile, my friend. Well said....you're getting somewhere now.

chill on the weekend,
    W

Old 07-10-2004, 11:25 AM   #24
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    I`ll do what I can later, plate is real full at the moment. Thanks for the compliment. Right now, with what free time I have, watching TV with a glass of tension tamer tea is more theraputic.
    I'm glad you will do that. For now, I hope you enjoy some stress free time and will start feeling like a new man real soon.

Old 07-11-2004, 04:09 PM   #25
    RubySlippers
    (female)

RubySlippers HB User

Thank you for all your input Howard!!! I actually got the idea of benzos from my therapist. I recently lost my job (not realated to the drinking....my company was sold and many positions elimiated....mine included).

BTW I am female and am having a really hard time with this whole thing.

I also have depression (go figure) and chronic pain from multiple surgeries.

I am trying to taper off the alcohol with the benzos as they affect the same neurotransmitters that the alcohol does. I am afraid to not take the benzos and die of DT's.

I am a professional systems analyst recently working in e-commerce. I know that both the alcohol and the benzos are addicitve. I've done plenty of research (it's in my nature as it is my profession).

Jenna....duh...I am awary that I shouldn't be drinking so much. That's why I posted here and it wasn't easy for me to do it. To admit I have a problem. You have not walked in my shoes but I do appreciate your input.

I get that both alcohol and benzos are addictive. I was just trying to get some advice. At least with benzos I can function.....after a six pack I cannot. I am a professional single mother in a difficult situation. Since I lost my job three weeks ago I have no health insurance. Any detox I enter will want to detox me from my pain meds which would be unbearable. I take strong pain meds according to how my doc prescribes them. I DO NOT abust them. I have had gastric bypass surgery for weight loss. It worked beautifully until I had to have my gallbladder removed. I believe the surgion nicked a nerve. I have since had three additional sugeries and am still in chonic pain. It's almost more than I can bear......I'm only still on this planet because of my daughter. If not for her I don't know what I would do.

The only thing I'm looking for is a way to detox from the beer without dying....thus the benzos. I know neither is an absolute answer but at this point I'll take the lesser of the two evils.

I have to be honest...AA is not for me, and I'm sure this will make a lot of you mad but I've been there, done that. I really made a huge effort to work the program but I just can't justify that my addiction is beyond my control. I'd rather seek the Rational Recovery program but unfortunately I live in a small town and those groups are not available to me.

All I know is that when the shakes happen, if I take .5 mg of xanax it calms them. When I feel sick to my stomach .5 mg of xanax helps me. I'd rather be drugged with benzos which I can function on than be drunk as a skunk because I can't turn my mind off from all the crap that's happening in my life right now.

I'm 38 and this is the third time I've had to start over....as I said, I live in a small town and am facing bankruptcy, IRS is breathing down my neck, I will lose my car....I made upper class wages and now I will be facing a "start over" career. It's not all bad tho, I hated my job and now I'm ready to get back into a non profit helping people positiion.

Thru this all, I've recognized that I need to make a contribution to society. I need the satisfaction that what I am doing is helping others.

If benzos help me then so be it. It's better than not being able to function at all after a six pack, or six shots, or worse or whatever. I agree that beer is just a toxic as hard alcohol (just more bathroom breaks as Howard mentioned).

Thank you for all of your help. It is much appreciated.

Angela

Old 07-12-2004, 05:40 AM   #26
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

Angela,

I don't agree with all that AA/NA says either. However I do go to meetings and they seem to help. About the benzos....they'll become a nightmare. You can use them to guard against seizure from booze dt's but make sure you stop them after that danger has passed. Good luck to ya.

Old 07-14-2004, 04:14 PM   #27
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GlindaWitch
    Thank you for all your input Howard!!! I actually got the idea of benzos from my therapist. I recently lost my job (not realated to the drinking....my company was sold and many positions elimiated....mine included).

BTW I am female and am having a really hard time with this whole thing.

I also have depression (go figure) and chronic pain from multiple surgeries.

I am trying to taper off the alcohol with the benzos as they affect the same neurotransmitters that the alcohol does. I am afraid to not take the benzos and die of DT's.

I am a professional systems analyst recently working in e-commerce. I know that both the alcohol and the benzos are addicitve. I've done plenty of research (it's in my nature as it is my profession).

Jenna....duh...I am awary that I shouldn't be drinking so much. That's why I posted here and it wasn't easy for me to do it. To admit I have a problem. You have not walked in my shoes but I do appreciate your input.

I get that both alcohol and benzos are addictive. I was just trying to get some advice. At least with benzos I can function.....after a six pack I cannot. I am a professional single mother in a difficult situation. Since I lost my job three weeks ago I have no health insurance. Any detox I enter will want to detox me from my pain meds which would be unbearable. I take strong pain meds according to how my doc prescribes them. I DO NOT abust them. I have had gastric bypass surgery for weight loss. It worked beautifully until I had to have my gallbladder removed. I believe the surgion nicked a nerve. I have since had three additional sugeries and am still in chonic pain. It's almost more than I can bear......I'm only still on this planet because of my daughter. If not for her I don't know what I would do.

The only thing I'm looking for is a way to detox from the beer without dying....thus the benzos. I know neither is an absolute answer but at this point I'll take the lesser of the two evils.

I have to be honest...AA is not for me, and I'm sure this will make a lot of you mad but I've been there, done that. I really made a huge effort to work the program but I just can't justify that my addiction is beyond my control. I'd rather seek the Rational Recovery program but unfortunately I live in a small town and those groups are not available to me.

All I know is that when the shakes happen, if I take .5 mg of xanax it calms them. When I feel sick to my stomach .5 mg of xanax helps me. I'd rather be drugged with benzos which I can function on than be drunk as a skunk because I can't turn my mind off from all the crap that's happening in my life right now.

I'm 38 and this is the third time I've had to start over....as I said, I live in a small town and am facing bankruptcy, IRS is breathing down my neck, I will lose my car....I made upper class wages and now I will be facing a "start over" career. It's not all bad tho, I hated my job and now I'm ready to get back into a non profit helping people positiion.

Thru this all, I've recognized that I need to make a contribution to society. I need the satisfaction that what I am doing is helping others.

If benzos help me then so be it. It's better than not being able to function at all after a six pack, or six shots, or worse or whatever. I agree that beer is just a toxic as hard alcohol (just more bathroom breaks as Howard mentioned).

Thank you for all of your help. It is much appreciated.

Angela
    Well, no wonder you drink. So sorry, it all does sound very hard for you. Hope you can get on your feet again. Did you take AD's for the depression? I do know those can cause people to want to drink for some reason, perhaps because AD's are actually sometimes too stimulating (serotonin is an excitatory neurotransmitter) and alcohol is a depressant, effecting the inhibitory neuros so it calms all that down. Whatever the cause is, I guess you are making a good effort to quit and that's admirable. I agree with windysan in the temporary use of the benzos. Benzos will not help you function forever as they are drugs that the brain develops tolerance to sometimes quickly. But I do agree the DT's can be a problem plus the seizure danger, so it makes sense to take the benzos for a short while. Don't increase the dosage even if you feel it's needed because that may be a sign of tolerance.

Old 07-20-2004, 05:49 PM   #28
    RubySlippers
    (female)

RubySlippers HB User

Thanks for all your replies Jennita, Buzz_Saw and Windysan...

Well, my boyfriend of two years left me on Sunday. I can't say it's a bad thing cause I think I miss the thought of what it could have been and not what it really was.

Anyway, I was not successful on my first try (first post). I think him being here was not good for me....we were sortof codependant. Soooo, I stopped drinking Monday morning at 12:30 am. Boy has it been rough. I just keep having these awful mood swings...crying A LOT. Without a job there is little to do (yes I am looking but as I said it's a very small town and not a lot of opportunity).

I have the IRS breathing down my neck...creditors all over the place and all I want to do is go get a 12 pack and loose myself in that warm fuzzy place I usually go. BUT, I feel like if I do that I will NEVER be in any condition to get a good job. Don't want to go into an interview with a hangover

I'm scared to death that my daughter and I are going to end up homeless. I have zero confidence in myself although I was making really really good money. I'm just not sure if I'm strong enought to make it again.

Thanks for listening
    Angela

Old 07-21-2004, 11:43 AM   #29
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GlindaWitch
    Thanks for all your replies Jennita, Buzz_Saw and Windysan...

Well, my boyfriend of two years left me on Sunday. I can't say it's a bad thing cause I think I miss the thought of what it could have been and not what it really was.

Anyway, I was not successful on my first try (first post). I think him being here was not good for me....we were sortof codependant. Soooo, I stopped drinking Monday morning at 12:30 am. Boy has it been rough. I just keep having these awful mood swings...crying A LOT. Without a job there is little to do (yes I am looking but as I said it's a very small town and not a lot of opportunity).

I have the IRS breathing down my neck...creditors all over the place and all I want to do is go get a 12 pack and loose myself in that warm fuzzy place I usually go. BUT, I feel like if I do that I will NEVER be in any condition to get a good job. Don't want to go into an interview with a hangover

I'm scared to death that my daughter and I are going to end up homeless. I have zero confidence in myself although I was making really really good money. I'm just not sure if I'm strong enought to make it again.

Thanks for listening
    Angela
    Very sorry about the boyfriend. I guess these days it's hard to find people willing to stick around through thick and thin. As far as the debts, I don't know how bad they are, but is there any recourse such as chapter 11 or 13 bankruptcy for a clean, fresh start? I would also take advantage of any unemployment and food stamps if available to you while you are looking....nobody would look unfavorably because everyone has a rough patch now and again. Anyone who would knock you for taking what your paid taxes provide is just ignorant.

Good luck with it all. My escape from things is a good, fiction/action movie...I know there is no way someone could become a human spider from a bite but hey, it looks cool anyway.......point is, maybe you could search for another, "sober " way of getting away once in awhile, whatever it may be. Maybe just a day somewhere pleasant to relax, a drive, a hobby, well, there are lots of things. My favorite is a coca-cola with my feet up watching a cool movie. Like I said, I don't care if it is a real-life story or not!

Old 07-21-2004, 02:06 PM   #30
    RubySlippers
    (female)

RubySlippers HB User

Jennita,

Thank you for your kind words. I am getting the max unemployment so I don't qualify for any other services (yet). As long as I pay just a little bit on my bills I'm ok. However I can't afford my car payment. Not sure what to do there.

I'm a chronic pain sufferer and take strong meds for that. My ex b/f could have added me to his insurance but instead he said I should DRINK MORE instead of take my pain meds. I could not believe it.

Anyway, I agree that I need to find something else to fill in the times when I really want to drink. Always about 3 pm pacific time. I'm still sober since Monday and actually printed out a job app, scanned my resume into my computer to update it so I guess I'm making progress. I do read A LOT. I have a big credit at the used book store cause of all the books I read and give to him for resale

Just wanted to thank you again. You actually made me cry cause it's hard for me to feel like I'm worth anything these days.

Angela

Closed Thread