It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Transforaminal Epidural Steriod Injection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2003, 06:12 PM   #1
    thefer
    Inactive

thefer HB User
    Post Transforaminal Epidural Steriod Injection

Hi

I am looking for anyone who has been through these epidurals. I have done teh epidural steriod injuects but was told they are two different things. My pain dr is sending me to anesthologist to have them done at L4-5 and L5-S1 levels. Any help would be great. Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2003, 01:45 AM   #2
    brandybuck
    Inactive

brandybuck HB User
    Here you go thefor...

TRANSFORAMINAL EPIDURAL STEROID INJECTION (TF/ESI) (Fig 2):
    Is also referred to in our area as periradicular therapy (PRT). TF/ESI is a segmental selective epidural procedure which employs C-arm flouroscopy or CT guidance in order to precisely position a needle at the lateral periphery of the nerve root canal immediately adjacent to the specific site of pathology. This technique allows the most precise and concentrated delivery of medication to the suspected pain source. The injection blocks the nerve and extends through the canal into the local epidural space confined to one or two adjacent levels. TF/ESI is therapeutic, while also providing valuable diagnostic clinical information to localize the pain source. Also, this procedure is safer because the approach is from the side of the nerve root canal, rather than midline, with less chance for a transdural complication. CT guidance for TF/ESI/SNRB provides an added benefit in that it permits the precise scan visualization of the spine, disc, and nerve root abnormalities

Brandy x

------------------
    18 yrs of pain..disc and nerve damage..
    Three lower levels fused ,yr 2001..
    had plenty of nerve block's and the dreaded discogram..

I am expecting more surgery?
    I also had my Surgery in Britain, i moved to spain two yrs ago..

Old 07-02-2004, 09:38 AM   #3
    Sara5678
    (female)

Sara5678 HB User
    Question Re: Transforaminal Epidural Steriod Injection

I am scheduled for a transforaminal epidural steroid injection next month for a free fragment and mild spinal stenosis (L4 - L5). Has anyone had this injecton? Does it work and, if so, for how long does it last?

I have had in the past the epidural blocks but not the Transforaminal. The pain is especially horrible when I wake up. Does anyone have this and does anyone have a suggestion on how to relieve the back and leg pain when waking up in the morning?

Old 07-05-2004, 09:32 AM   #4
    mlachowicz
    Veteran
    (female)

mlachowicz HB User
    Re: Transforaminal Epidural Steriod Injection

My diagnosis is 2 herniations at L4-5, L5-S1 with degenerative disc diease. I also went for the epidural shot. I am not too sure if it was the specific one you are speaking of, but they did use a monitor to locate the exact area the shot was to be enjected to. I have to say that it was a horrific, painful experience and I refused to go back for another one. My reliefe from the injection lasted less then a week, and my pain came back more intense. My leg pain increased and is now running from my butt to my toes, on both sides. Needless to say, I am scheduled for surgery on the 8th of July.
    Unfortunately, the shots did not work for me, but they do work for other people! Keep your hopes up, you never know!
    mlachowicz

Old 07-06-2004, 08:07 PM   #5
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Before any injection, read the online publication, THe Burton Report. Are you trying to cure the pain or identify the source? The injections destroy tissue.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:33 AM   #6
    Sara5678
    (female)

Sara5678 HB User

I am trying to stop the pain down the hip and leg. What does this procedure do? Does it just locate the pain or locate and try to stop the pain. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:52 AM   #7
    mlachowicz
    Veteran
    (female)

mlachowicz HB User

Sara

If it is the same shot that I was given it is a mix of a steroid, pain medicine & anti-inflamatory. They make you lie on your stomach and with a machine they locate the exact sopt where they want to give you the injection. Once they find it, the tell you what you will feel, and they administer the shot. The shot is a temparary relief of pain (pain med) and a direct dose of anti-inflamartory directly into the area that is most problemsome.

I will be honest with you, it was very painful to me, I do think that you should do ample research on all areas of this topic prior to going ahead with it. For some people it works wonders, for others it is a no-no.

I wish you luck in your decision!

~M~

Old 07-07-2004, 09:30 AM   #8
    Sara5678
    (female)

Sara5678 HB User

Thanks for the information.
    What is suggsted for this type of pain from a pinched nerve and spinal stenosis other than surgery? Please help..

Old 07-07-2004, 09:33 AM   #9
    mlachowicz
    Veteran
    (female)

mlachowicz HB User

My guess would be, physical therapy, ice, heat, traction, anti-inflamitorys. You should try all non-surgical proceedures prior to surgery!

Closed Thread