It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Goin on Accutane - Need answers quick

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2004, 10:13 PM   #1
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User
    Goin on Accutane - Need answers quick

This might be a dumb question but here goes. My daughter told me tonight that she wants to go on accutane and the quicker the better. My question is - does it make a big difference which doctor you use? If we use our General Pract. it will cost $10 a visit. The derm charges $80. Do you think some doctors are better at prescribing the right dosage at the right time or is there just an accutane protocal that they all follow?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2004, 10:29 PM   #2
    DiselPower4
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

DiselPower4 HB User
    Re: Goin on Accutane - Need answers quick

DERM beacuse he or she has the knowledge and experience with many accutane users. So he or she can answer the questions you or your daughter would have. LOL AND i know you have many questions to ask lol .

Old 07-12-2004, 10:50 PM   #3
    Mr.Bojangless
    Inactive

Mr.Bojangless HB User

hey i have a question about accutane too, im seriously considering taking it. My question is: is it POSSIBLE to go through accutane without having an initial breakout?

I mean, the majority of accutane users dont go on these message boards, and probably the only reason most accutane users are on this site is because it didn't work for them or they are having initial breakouts and such. There could be lots of people taking accutane and LOVING it without any side effects, or only the small ones...right?

I don't give a **** about any other side effects, acne's side effects are worse than anything. Im talking about social and emotional side effects - Besides, I'll take a couple sore joints for the rest of my life it means clearing up my face forever (hopefully lol).

But anyway, thanks for any answers.

Last edited by Mr.Bojangless; 07-12-2004 at 10:53 PM.

Old 07-13-2004, 07:31 AM   #4
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr.Bojangless
    hey i have a question about accutane too, im seriously considering taking it. My question is: is it POSSIBLE to go through accutane without having an initial breakout?
    I didn't have an initial breakout at all. All I had immediately (and still continuing) were dry lips, nose, eyes, and arms.

Old 07-13-2004, 11:15 AM   #5
    Mr.Bojangless
    Inactive

Mr.Bojangless HB User

nice

im slowly building up my hope for the big day later this week...ACCUTANE

I'm feeling confident...it WILL WORK.

Old 07-13-2004, 02:51 PM   #6
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

As I made my phone calls it was obvious that we need to start with the derm we saw and then maybe we can switch to our HMO derm later. Time is of the essence. She's getting her blood test on Thursday right at his office. I wonder how long it will take after that?

Old 07-13-2004, 05:21 PM   #7
    DiselPower4
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

DiselPower4 HB User

Quote:

I mean, the majority of accutane users dont go on these message boards, and probably the only reason most accutane users are on this site is because it didn't work for them or they are having initial breakouts and such. There could be lots of people taking accutane and LOVING it without any side effects, or only the small ones...right?

I don't give a **** about any other side effects, acne's side effects are worse than anything. Im talking about social and emotional side effects - Besides, I'll take a couple sore joints for the rest of my life it means clearing up my face forever (hopefully lol).

But anyway, thanks for any answers.

I believe if you stay in one dosage the whole course you might not break out. For example 80mgs once a day for 5 months. The initial brealout is not as bad as you think.

Old 07-13-2004, 05:22 PM   #8
    DiselPower4
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

DiselPower4 HB User

they get the results back like in 2 to 3 days.

Old 07-13-2004, 08:51 PM   #9
    Mr.Bojangless
    Inactive

Mr.Bojangless HB User

im actually only on 40mg...i dunno if my derm will up it...who knows

but thanks for the input

Old 07-14-2004, 02:05 AM   #10
    soulman

soulman HB User

They say the dosage is half your body weight.....for eg 40mg per day for 80kg
    or it depends on your severity. I am 60kg and have been advised to take 40mg per day. I recently reduced it to 20mg because of the side effect.

I thought doc aren't allow to prescribed accutane, only dermatologist. At least in Australia anyway.

Skimom - And there is a huge difference between doctors and dermatologists. BIG DIFFERENCE with their skin knowledge. Doctors don't care about acne really. They just look at you and usually say "you will grow out of this" year after year. Their main concern are usually with virus infection, diabetes, immunisation, flu, high blood pressure and so on......

Obviously accutane is a serious drug, but if you have tried everything, then they are OK to take but if you haven't tried anything yet and want accutane, then this is not the way to go.

Last edited by soulman; 07-14-2004 at 02:06 AM.

Old 07-14-2004, 08:37 AM   #11
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiselPower4
    I believe if you stay in one dosage the whole course you might not break out. For example 80mgs once a day for 5 months. The initial brealout is not as bad as you think.
    Maybe that's why I never had an initial breakout? I've been on 40 mg/day for 4 months. On the weekends, though, I take 2 40 mg pills and at the beginning I did notice more side effects when I did up my dose on those days.

Old 07-14-2004, 08:05 PM   #12
    Mayze

Mayze HB User

Quote:

I'm on my 9th day on 40mg a day and my face is practically clear. I was fearing the initial breakout and I still may yet experience it but as of right now I'm clearing up very quickly.

Old 07-14-2004, 08:36 PM   #13
    JiminyBiscuit

JiminyBiscuit HB User

Glad to hear. I also seem to be clearing quickly. On day 14. Let's hope this continues.

Old 07-14-2004, 09:03 PM   #14
    DiselPower4
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

DiselPower4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mayze
    I'm on my 9th day on 40mg a day and my face is practically clear. I was fearing the initial breakout and I still may yet experience it but as of right now I'm clearing up very quickly.

LOL dont get to excited. Thats how i was the first and 2nd i was 95 %clear. When the 3dr week came i had my initial break out. But on the other hand you might stay clear. Accutane is very unpredictable when it comes to clearing and breaking out.

Closed Thread