It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Thinkin about accutane

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2003, 06:19 PM   #1
    Tiggermomma

Tiggermomma HB User
    Post Thinkin about accutane

My acne was pretty severe but now its like simmered down. i was thinking of takin a chance with it till on a board all of these people agreed that they got major hair loss from the product. not only that, but one girl had all her bones and muscles or whatever ache at 22 years old! she said she felt like an old fart stuck in bed and was fearful of how her future willbe. please tell me all the horror stories. i wanna be prepared in case i decide to take the plunge.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2003, 06:24 PM   #2
    C Sauce

C Sauce HB User
    OMG! What exactly is this Accutane crap?

Old 06-18-2003, 06:40 PM   #3
    Tiggermomma

Tiggermomma HB User
    some kind of acne drug. id ont know. also people said that their children stopped growing cause the product fuses your growth plates and they had no idea!!

Old 06-18-2003, 07:36 PM   #4
    Lyndsey

Lyndsey HB User
    I just started Accutane about a week ago.
    I thought long and hard about it too.
    Some of the listed side effects are quite frightening. hair loss is the least of my concerns.
    Suicide, hearing loss, and high cholestoral are some of the around 50 listed effects.

I'm taking it with caution and already after only a week I'm having effects that I don't like at all. I'm not sure how long this will last, that is how long until I stop taking it cold turkey.

People I know that took it loved it. Though they sid for about 6 months it was nearly unbearable, now they have skin "like a babys".

Old 06-18-2003, 07:57 PM   #5
    Person01

Person01 HB User
    Yeah accutane is dangerous, because it MIGHT cause internal problems, however acne can also cause physical and mental damage. I believe that accutane is a safe drug and is a good drug for acne. I'm on my second course and i dont hesitate on this decision at all.

Old 06-20-2003, 08:27 AM   #6
    PapaJohns

PapaJohns HB User
    accutane dries out all your internal organs. if you want a short life, go with accutane. your organs are meant to function properly and last longer with MOISTURE, not being dried to a pulp. my friend took accutane and she ended with liver damage as well as wrinkles and many health problems from everything in her body being dried up years after the drug and she is fairly YOUNG.if you are concerned about your health or the future, DO NOT take crazy drugs like THAT!!

Old 06-20-2003, 09:05 AM   #7
    linnybee428
    Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
    Yes accutane is a very strong drug that has some potentially dangerous side effects. There are many horror stories because sometimes it can cause major problems in people. But this is true for many other drugs too. The reason people continue to take accutane is because it is the last resort and their acne is so bad they are willing to take the chances with their health. And for most people, the side effects are not nearly as horrifying as the ones here.

I have never taken this drug, but I have considered it many times. I also know a few people who have taken it and the difference in their skin is amazing.

Old 06-20-2003, 09:11 AM   #8
    PapaJohns

PapaJohns HB User
    Another thing I thought I should add is about hair loss:
    [url="http://med-aapos.bu.edu/publicinfo/store3/HairLoss.Accutane11.00AM.html"]http://med-aapos.bu.edu/publicinfo/store3/HairLoss.Accutane11.00AM.html[/url]

Many people experienced hair loss and some other didn't.
    But really, do you know what this drug will do to you in the long term? Your health is the most important thing there is and should be top priority! Please stay healthy and think before you decide to take the "plunge" into accutane, a very dangerous and powerful drug!

Old 07-15-2004, 07:23 AM   #9
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User
    Re: Thinkin about accutane

It's stories like this that prevented me from going on accutane for the longest time. But I don't regret that I finally did it. My derm closely monitors me and my doctor does also.

Old 07-15-2004, 04:04 PM   #10
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BostonGirl44
    It's stories like this that prevented me from going on accutane for the longest time. But I don't regret that I finally did it. My derm closely monitors me and my doctor does also.
    BostonGirl - there's your little ray of sunshine again. I'm sitting at my computer sweating bullets at the moment because my daughter's blood test is tomorrow so we still have time to think. That post freaked me out so badly. However, we don't know the level of this woman's care or her dosage or anything like that. It sounds almost like an ambulance chasing lawyer may have written it. Part of me wishes we didn't have to go to accutane but she needs to get the crap off her face. Our general practitioner said she'd give us spironolatone to try if we want but said it was slow acting. I'm pretty confused and upset.

Old 07-15-2004, 04:16 PM   #11
    justiceseeker

justiceseeker HB User
    Exclamation Re: Thinkin about accutane

SKIMON, please note, I'm not a lawyer!. You should go ahead and check with the optomotrist right away. After so many evidence that this medication damage vision the conclusion is: "accutane does vision fluctuations and therefore the need to wear glasses", second: "accutane does dry eyes and can attack years after the person has been stopped using the medication". You should not trust your dermatologist. You should read stories from people that actually used this drug.
    Note, I've used that drug 13 years ago and now I hardly walk. My body hurt all the time.
    Vision fluctuations happen when the eyes become dry. You should not GIVE YOUR KIDS DRUG LIKE THAT. taking that risk of destroying their lives down the road.
    I cannot even hold 1 job for a long time because I'm so weak.
    Imagine wearing GLASSES because of a medication...how much emotional pain I need to live with when people ask me: "do you need glasses since you were a kid?" or people that tell me that "you look better without glasses". Just think what will happen to your kids.
    Don't give that harsh medication to your kids.
    Again, I wish I was a lawyer, I wish. There is nothing left for me to do but to live with my dry eyes syndrom and my GLASSES till the rest of my life.
    Tell me, what's the point to have perfect skin if you need to wear glasses till the rest of your life? after all, glasses is not a good look period.
    Note again, I never needed glasses before accutane. NEVER.
    Dry eyes make vision fluctuations because when the eye is dry the vision lost focus and vision fluctuations start. I know a lot of people that need GLASSES because of accutane.
    Accutane permanently damaged my PERFECT VISION AND MY GOOD EYES.
    If you care for your vision and your health don't that that trash.
    When you get older, sposts don't matter. VISION matters and GLASSES is a piece of trash that can make you have a strong emotional pain epecially if you have them due to a MEDICAION! and it's impossible to fix that problem.
    Papajones, PLEASE WRITE ME AN E.MAIL. Please, please. I'm here for your moral support also.

Last edited by justiceseeker; 07-15-2004 at 04:41 PM.

Old 07-15-2004, 04:42 PM   #12
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Skimom reaches for her paxil

Old 07-16-2004, 07:15 AM   #13
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

I'm not here to argue with anyone or discount their own personal experience using accutane. I'm just here to let people know that not all accutane stories are horror stories. A lot of people who have successfully used accutane with no horrible or debilitating side effects are not on this board because they have found their "cure." I hope after I finish my course that I will be one of those people. In addition to my dry skin, I do have a few negative side effects, such as sore joints (but regular exercise alleviates that) and dry eyes (I used to wear my contacts all day with no problems but now I can feel them drying out faster but not enough that I have to take them out. Sometimes I'll just wear my glasses....and, justiceseeker, there are plenty of people who gradually have bad or worsening vision that have to wear glasses. It's not a death sentence). What bothers me the most is people saying that they weren't informed by their derm. Well, why not ask? If something concerns you, ask your derm about it or read up on it. With a drug such as accutane, it's not a good idea to go in there, get it prescribed, and know zip about it. And the directions and side effects and all that stuff is clearly on the package. There's so much info on the package that informs you if you take the time to read it. If it's not worth the risk, don't take it. But if you think it'll be the one thing to work for you, go for it. Don't let other people talk you out of it.

Skimom,
    I hope you and your daughter make the choice that you believe is right for her, whether that's spiro, accutane, or something else.

Last edited by BostonGirl44; 07-16-2004 at 07:29 AM.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:50 AM   #14
    lovemyblaine

lovemyblaine HB User

I took accutane twice, the first time with absolutly no side effects so I didnt hesitate when my acne started comming back to try it again. The second time it seemed I got every side effect they warned me about. Night vision loss, dry skin, and even depression though I think it helped knowing what was making me feel this way. Honestly it was worth it. Now that its all over I have never been happier with myself. Just be sure that you are in tune with what your daughter is feeling and make sure if she does start feeling bad about herself that you remind her every day that its the drug thats making her feel that way and every thing is better than it seems. Thats what got me through it. Hope everything works out.

Closed Thread