It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• 2nd month taking Ortho tri-cyclen lo and my skin looks a mess!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-18-2004, 11:40 AM   #1
    glow83

glow83 HB User
    2nd month taking Ortho tri-cyclen lo and my skin looks a mess!

Oh my ga! I just finished my second month of ortho lo and my skin looks the worse it has ever looked.

About a year ago I stopped taking ortho tricyclen(the regular kind) because I thought it was making it difficult for me to lose weight. I had been on it for 2 years with great results. Skin really pretty although I would have an occasional clogged pore or two. I don't remember initially breaking out either. About 4-5 months after I stopped taking it my skin began to really break out and look bad. Even though I had lost about 30pds I was not happy with my skin . I started using pro-active which only helped less than moderatly. Thus, i decided the only answer was to get back on BC. Now I just completed the second month of otc lo and my skin looks horrible. Even worse than when I was in high school (I'm 28 now). I have these little tiny hard bumps along my right jawline and chin that will not go away. And larger cystic like bumps on my cheeks. I've tried not sleeping on my face, drinking lots of water, Prayer. I cleanse with Purpose liquid and I've been using Queen Helene's Mint Julep. I also use Retin-a.

Does anyone have advice. I feel like a prisoner because I'm too embarressed to go out with my skin like this. I don't know if the BC or my skin is making me depressed. I also don't want to stop taking them because that is where my initial problem started. Please help. Has anyone experienced this?? Will I clear up eventually?? Pray for me

Last edited by glow83; 07-18-2004 at 11:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2004, 01:44 PM   #2
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User
    Re: 2nd month taking Ortho tri-cyclen lo and my skin looks a mess!

glow - since your new here I wanted to suggest that you do a search on this board on orthotricyclen. Just type that in the search box and you'll find lots of posts on it. I've written a lot lately on it because my daughter is not having a good experience on it. She's very broken out and got mood swings on the reg. OTC which is not like her at all. Do you have a dermatologist that you see? Others have had tremendous results with this pill and we were hopeful at first that it would help us. The problem is that its a wait and see game. Some clear at after 2 months, some 3, some 4 or more. I tend to think that if you don't see any improvement after 3 months and it's even worse after 4, then it's time to rethink whether it's worth it or not to take it for acne control.

Old 07-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #3
    ladybr

ladybr HB User

Glow,

The exact same thing happened to me 3 years ago. I went off the pill, and 4 months later I had terrible, terrible acne. I tried Proactive, and it made my skin a living, peeling nightmare. I went on Ortho (not Lo), and things got worst at first. Then the doctor put me on Differin cream, which helped a little, but not tremendously. I only really started clearing up when she put me on 75 mg of spiro along with the ortho. You might want to think about doing this; I was completely clear for 2 1/2 years. I started breaking out recently because the pharmacy switched my ortho to generic (tri-sprintec), which gave me a bad reaction. Grrr. Now, I've just started taking Ortho again (as well as differin cream) and upped my spiro to 100mg., and I hope that things will get better.

Good luck!

Old 07-18-2004, 05:56 PM   #4
    Beams222

Beams222 HB User

I have had the same thing to happen to me. I used Ortho Tri Cyclen for 5 years and stopped using it in December. Then by February my face had started to break out, but I just throught it was from stress. So, In may I went to get another prescription. I just completed my second month and my face has cleared up. It just now cleared up. A few days ago, I was still broken out. Of course, I have a lot of red marks. UGH! And I gained a lot of wait. I can't fit into some of my clothes. I started on the Atkins diet and I have lost a lot of the water, which is the reason I have been gaining wait I think. I have also been eating a lot more because I have a huge appetite from the pills. You can always lose wait, even on the pills. I have. And don't worry, your skin will get better soon. Mine finally did. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2004, 08:34 PM   #5
    glow83

glow83 HB User

Thanks guys it's nice to know I'm not alone. I will keep everyone posted as I'm going to stick it out. Skimom let me know how it goes with your daughter. Tell her to hang in there.

Old 07-19-2004, 07:17 AM   #6
    Beams222

Beams222 HB User

Oops! I put wait instead of weight. duh! That's what happens when you're trying to do several things at once! Sorry for the mistake.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:31 AM   #7
    invisablebeauty

invisablebeauty HB User

im really nervous, because i dont want to gain any weight. how much weight did u gain if u were on ortho-tri-cyclen, and is it preventable? because i heard that sometimes BC pills make u hungry.

Old 07-19-2004, 10:03 AM   #8
    ladybr

ladybr HB User

I think it's different for everyone. I never gained weight from Ortho or any other pill, but I have friends who have. This is not much help, but I thought I'd add my two cents lol.

Old 07-19-2004, 11:41 AM   #9
    Sky77
    (female)

Sky77 HB User

I've been on ortho for 4 months and I haven't gained any weight either..

Old 07-19-2004, 12:27 PM   #10
    invisablebeauty

invisablebeauty HB User

okay thanx. sky, how has ur skin cleared up?

Old 07-19-2004, 01:22 PM   #11
    Sky77
    (female)

Sky77 HB User

I started with mild/moderate acne. Since taking Ortho my skin hasn't really changed much. It's a lot less oily but the breakouts haven't been much less (my bf thinks I've improved by maybe 20-30%). I was going to give up on Ortho last week because for some reason I was breaking out more than usual but today I am almost clear with 2 little pimples. It hasn't been very consistant for me. I have days where I think it's looking good and than a week where everything's bad again. 4 months and I haven't had one day where I've been 100% clear. I have a prescription for diane35 but my bf told me to hold on for another 2 months. Hopefully by the end of this month I will see good results...

btw, Im taking OrthoCyclen NOT Orthotri-cylen...

Last edited by Sky77; 07-19-2004 at 01:25 PM.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:08 PM   #12
    glow83

glow83 HB User

invisiblebeauty, I don't think it made me gain weight at all I know that I absolutley gained because I was eating junk food. I thought maybe it just made it difficult to lose which I was prob. wrong. I think as long as you maintain a healthy lifestyle you will be fine. That's ok yuly I read ya loud and clear!

Old 07-20-2004, 02:58 PM   #13
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Glow -

I started taking OTC-Lo in January of this year and experienced exactly what you described in my 2nd month. I had horrible jawline acne including painful cysts deep under the skin.

If you search the archives for OTC-Lo, you will probably find the post I made back in February...I was freaking out! Although I got a lot of helpful advice and encouragement from that post, most women just told me to tough it out. So, as hard as it may be, I think that the only thing I can tell you is to try and stick it out. The chin acne you talked about is a common form of hormonal acne, but I assure you that things will gradually get better. Your hormones are just trying to balance out and adjust to this new medicine.

I am now finishing up my 7th month, and my skin has stayed fairly clear. I only break out occasionally around my mouth and sometimes on my forehead...which I must say is a lot better than what my skin used to be like. Even though OTC-Lo is somewhat inconsistant, I am very happy I stuck with it.

Are you using any topicals or taking any antibiotics? I use Duac Topical Gel at night in conjunction with the OTC-Lo and it helped me get through some of the rough "spots" (no pun intended...hehe).

Also, I know this may sound retarded and like total common sense, but DO NOT PICK AT THE CYSTS! I did, and now I am just stuck with these damn acne scars on my chin and forehead!

Anyways, good luck...if you have any questions I should be checking the board more often now!

Old 07-20-2004, 04:23 PM   #14
    Sky77
    (female)

Sky77 HB User

laura,

how long did it take you to see an improvement in your skin? when did you start to clear up? I'm in month 4 and there's not a lot of improvement. I'm getting a little discouraged...

thanks...

Old 07-20-2004, 07:34 PM   #15
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Hey Sky77-

I started noticing an improvement after the 4th month and my skin has gradually gotten better each month.

I don't know if you or anyone else experiences this, but ever since I started OTC-Lo, I am actually the most clear the week of my period. Before I started taking BCP, my skin was always horrible during that week! Odd huh?

Anyways, I would stick with it at least through 6 months and see how your skin looks. My gyno and derm both said that it can take up to 6 months to see full results with any BCP. If you aren't happy with OTC-Lo, maybe you can get a prescription for Yasmin or some other brand of BCP. You can always do a search in the archives. There have been plenty of posts about success stories with various BCPs.

Good luck and keep us all posted on your results/decisions!

Closed Thread