It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• L5-S1 hemilaminectomy with microdiscectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2003, 03:43 AM   #721
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User
    Good Morning ALL,Hope this turns out to be a great day for all,I'm really nervous today I have my first real Dr.app.in over 2yrs ,except just to get pain meds,I have new MRI pictures and thanks to everyone here on the boards a new relality about my back injury,I was so unimformed and unrealistic before I just couldn't believe with all I had been thru a fall on my A** could do this to me!!
    So thank you everyone for beign so kind and answering so many questions and having all these post ,I believe now I have a chance to get and make a more informed decision in my recovery!!!
    Thom,I'm really happy you are recovering so fast and don't want to sound like a party popper I was just sitting here thinking ablout driving you know thier concerns are probably not just about the sitting up driving I know there is a chance of slipping and falling or so many was you could reinjury but just think I use to live in Ocean City,Md. and I think I have a pretty good idea about where you are and think of the traffic well anywhere for that matter but the heavier the traffic the higher the risk,you are still so early in your recovery what about a fender bender or that pot hole you didn't see,I think that may have a lot to do with them not wanting you out on the roads so soon,don't you??I know I haven't had any procedures or surgeies but the car is a form of tourture to me getting in and out is a battle but every little bump in the road is a shock wave to my entire back.Thom,I've been like this for 4yrs steadily getting worse I pray today is the start of a recovery for me and I hate to think of youor anyone reinjuring them self when it could be avoided so my friend why don't you enjoy that back deck and use that lap top a while longer please don't let impatients be the cause of a relapse.Like I said the party popper has arrived,on that note I will wish you all the very best of day!!
    Lida

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2003, 07:18 AM   #722
    back2basics
    (female)

back2basics HB User
    Good Morning to all, hope you all had a restful night!!

I just wanted to pop in with my 2 cents on returning to work. I had my surgery on May 7, went back to work on June 2. My Dr gave pretty much let me set the date to go back to work and if I had it to do over again, I would have given myself another 2 weeks. He did put me on a 40 restriction. I most of us work more than that on a normal basis, even though in my case I am salary so only get paid for 40 hours regardless. Within 1 week, my boss was asking me when I would be off the 40 hour restriction. I couldn't believe it!!

Thom: I know you are bored, we have all been there. I know you feel like you are just laying around doing nothing right now and you feel good enough to do something, but believe me when I tell you that you will be absolutely exhausted for the 1st 2 weeks you go back to work. I also started my phys therapy the week I went back to work, wich was even more exhausting. Sitting all day is still no picnic for me.

Here are some suggestions for those boring days:

Read, Read, Read
    Hire some work done on your house. Your at home, so you won't have to take a day off to be there for the contractor or carpet cleaner or the painter, etc....Bonus is, you end up with someone in the house to talk to!!
    Anyone else in your neighborhood home all day that you like to talk to? Ask them over for coffee on your deck, maybe a game of cards or chess?
    Perhaps you have a relative locally that is retired or home all day that you usually don't have a lot of time to spend with? (I spent 2 hours daily on the phone with my Daughter while I was off. She has 2 young & wild boys that I was worried about being around right after surgery, so we spent time on the phone visiting).
    Write letters to those loved ones that live out of town. I don't know about you, but I never have time for this while working, now's your chance!!
    Get your photo's organized while your sitting/laying around.
    Any phone calls that need to taken care of? I made some calls to get information on next years taxes, started the paperwork for refinancing the house, that sort of thing. Better to have this done now than while you are working.
    Take over making out the bills if you do not do this already. Make out the grocery list, etc.(Takes pressure off your partner and gives you something to do.)
    Any class you would like to take on-line?? Several places offer this kind of thing now. This would also allow you to see how you do sitting??
    Shop on-line or mail order for stuff that you have been meaning to buy and just haven't gotten around to. Need new towels, or a new weed-whacker, clothes?? Order them up and have them delivered!!

Sorry so long, hope this helps you out!!

Dee

------------------
    5/7/2003-Laminectomy/Discetomy L4/L5 & L5/S1
    Onset of Pain & numbness in left leg/foot 7/2002
    MRI showed Herniated discs L4/L5 & L5/S1
    Physical Therapy did not help
    Oral steroids seemed to help some
    2 Epidurals - didn't seem to help as much as the oral steroids

Old 07-24-2003, 08:50 AM   #723
    TexMich

TexMich HB User
    Smile

Hi everyone!

Well, I've been really busy the past week- glad to see everyone's doing so well!

Newbies- keep up the great recovery!!

Dee,Lisa & Daubie- GREAT advice you've been giving [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif[/img] Lisa- hope you get to go on your "get away" this wk-end! Daubie,looks like you've been really busy w/PT & work AND driving (and being very supportive-noticed a few of your other threads!) Very glad the TENS is working for you -wishing you continued success & WAKE UP to any sleeping nerves! (NON pain generating ones naturally!!)

Dee, great that you had a wonderful mini-vacation! I know it's always over too soon. Need to ask you- how's your ankle? There was a post while you were gone on another thread -(can't find it now) - but someone responded with "If you've got swelling & take BEXTRA - contact your Doc asap". Wanted to pass that along- not to scare you- but please ask your Doc about that ASAP & maybe do some research on side effects of Bextra? I know you're happy with the medicine's pain relieving effects- & your swelling may be un-related to the medicine- but just in case!

Linda, GOOD LUCK AT YOUR DOC'S APPT TODAY!!! Sounds like you're on a good positive road twd getting some good answers & help for your pain! We're anxious to hear about your visit - talk to you soon!

Coby, how are you? [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif[/img] Did you get over your cough - getting enough rest? Please ck in here soon!

Hope everyone's doing well & having a great wk!

Laura

[This message has been edited by TexMich (edited 07-24-2003).]
    08/03:PT @ 5 mos post-op for 6 wks: Results: Back & abdominal strength MUCH better - stretching exercises help only temporarily. Heavy feeling of pressure, restriction thru-out incision area post op. ~scar tissue adhering?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

11/03:Working with "Rolfing" expert to release scar tissue - Jury's still out on this procedure

Old 07-24-2003, 09:16 AM   #724
    Tung-Sol
    (male)

Tung-Sol HB User
    Wow, thanks Linda and Dee, such great advice! I never thought about the other possible risks of driving, that is scary.

Linda ... I hope your appointment goes well and you get better soon. When did you live in OC? I grew up in Salisbury, grad from Wicomico High in 1972, then moved to College Park and Univ of MD where I met my wonderful wife. We've been in this area mostly, except for about 5 years back on the Eastern Shore in Easton. Ha, small world!

Dee ... You're so right and what a great list of ideas! My wife and I have been considering getting that spring painting done since I will not even consider it now. I've been reworking my photography website, that's slow but sure. I'm very fortunate to have someone home for help and conversation. My wife is a teacher so she's off for the summer ... very lucky for me (not her, haha) that this happened this time of year. Our son is "between apartments" for two weeks so all his "stuff" has kicked my wife's car out of the garage. Every once in a while I peak out there and look at my car, I love to drive and I guess that's a big part of all this frustration. He's back to college and in his new digs by end of August, so it's nice to have him around in the evenings ... well at least for the dinner hour before he's off with girlfriend and buds.

So, yeah, cabin fever, but could be much worse.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Take care,

Thom

[This message has been edited by Tung-Sol (edited 07-24-2003).]

Old 07-24-2003, 10:34 AM   #725
    back2basics
    (female)

back2basics HB User
    Laura:
    Funny you should mention my ankle swelling. I did make an appt with my regular physician. I go to see him tonight. I had read that Bextra side affects might be my problem. Last week I tried not taking it for 3 days, both my ankles swelled. I called my surgeon about it and got to talk with the physician's assistance basically. They refered me back to my regular physician and told me I should not have stopped taking the Bextra and that was likely why my ankles both swelled up. Oh, and to be sure to let them know how my appt comes out. Thanks alot huh!! Anyway, it did force me to call and make an appt with my regular guy. In addition to talking with him about the ankle swelling, I have decided to ask him to do a complete physical. Blood work and everything.

Wish me luck! Hopefully it will be something very minor!!!

Dee

------------------
    5/7/2003-Laminectomy/Discetomy L4/L5 & L5/S1
    Onset of Pain & numbness in left leg/foot 7/2002
    MRI showed Herniated discs L4/L5 & L5/S1
    Physical Therapy did not help
    Oral steroids seemed to help some
    2 Epidurals - didn't seem to help as much as the oral steroids

Old 07-24-2003, 04:17 PM   #726
    Samantha67

Samantha67 HB User
    Hi all~
    I hope everyone is doing well today.

Daubie and anyone else~when did you return to work full time (40hrs)?

Also, thanks for the info on the tens unit, I think I am going to have my husband talk to the PT next week, if he can get any relief for his foot so that he can sleep that would be great!

Thanks all
    Samantha

Old 07-24-2003, 04:34 PM   #727
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    Hi everyone! Once again, I didn't write anything down so I'm relying on memory!!!
    Laura~ thanks for the well wishes. Glad you are so busy and not busy with pain stuff! Tens unit worked again today, for about 5 hours... Still hoping to get one at home.
    ~Samantha, I returned full time 4 weeks post op. Only problem was driving, and fatigue!
    ~Thom, I think there is more recovery time needed after your surgery than mine (your incision is 5", mine is only almost 2"). Yours was more invasive. I agree with everyone else about rushing it.I had seriously considered going back in 3 weeks and I'm really glad I took the last week. Imagine how tired I would have been after 3! Also, my therapist says anything that causes the nerve to hurt more, I should stop because it's aggravating the nerve and will take longer to heal. And Linda made a very good point about the slim chance of a fender bender/pot hole etc. Give it a little more time. You're sooo lucky to have your wife home to visit with!
    ~Dee, let us know what you find out! I'm sure it's nothing, but always good to have it checked out anyway.
    ~Linda, how did your appt go? Anxiously awaiting your update.
    Take care all~Daubie

------------------
    Car Accident 2/2/02
    Herniated disc L5/S1
    Epidurals x3, PT 4 mos, some relief
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    9/5/03 still have foot pain and numbness but recovered fine from surgery
    1/19/04 I am 7 mos post op. I still have the same foot pain as before surgery. Doc agrees it is probably permanent nerve damage. Started neurontin this week. Still glad I had the surgery though!

Old 07-25-2003, 05:48 AM   #728
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User
    Good Morning All,Sorry to say I'm not as excited today I posted my results on another topic if interested
    ****JDLFMC*** really no since in boring you all with it here.Really hope all are doing well!!Thanks to all that asked it really helps knowing I have support here.
    Thom,I lived in Ocean City from 1985-1991 I have to say I loved it there and if things were different I would go back it's just not really a option now!!If you lived in the area in 1985 you probably heard about me I made headlines and new in the tri-state area mine was the big housefire in Ocean Pines Christmas Day 1985 it was with much thanks to all the great people in that area that I waas able to pick up and go on!!I really miss all the good friends and people I met living there,I have to say though I brought a piece of it with me I met my husband at Ocean Downs he raced harness horses ,so I didn't leave it all behind I brought one of the best parts with me.Sorry I'm rattleing on and all those old memories have got me crying again so I must go.
    I hope you take the advice about not rushing your doing so well please don't blow it I'd really like to hear that you are one of the big success stories here,we all need that kind of good news!!
    Linda

Old 07-25-2003, 08:52 AM   #729
    Tung-Sol
    (male)

Tung-Sol HB User
    Hi all,

Daubie... I do hope you get your own tens unit, it has been so effective! I read somewhere they were a joke, HA, fooled them! Just wondering, when did your doc recommend you go back, did he try to push you after two weeks? I'm going to grill my doc as to how much bone was actually removed from my back. I read on spine universe that laminectomy carries addl risk of instability if the bones left aren't strong enough, then you get lumbar spondylolothesis, that sounds great.

When your PT says "something that makes the nerve hurt," how does that feel to you, the "hurt" I mean. Sometimes getting out of bed, or the recliner, I feel pressure in lower leg, ankle and esp. around the big toe side of my foot, is that me doing something that is pressing on the exposed nerve? Yikes. Does that ever go away? Seems like the nerve would never heal if you could still put pressure on it by doing something, reaching, etc. Some things just can't be avoided. I'm NOT in the best physical condition. Surgery relieved the pressure from herniation, but what's there to put pressure on the nerves now? Sorry, that seemed long-winded.

Yes, Karen is my rock! We've been married 25 years and I don't know what I'd have done without her!

Speaking of doc, STAPLES getting removed today 4:30 instead of Monday ... the traffic getting back from Bethesda is going to s***.

Linda ... Have you made any progress this morning on finding new doc? I know, wow, a whole four hours, eh? I do sincerely wish you all the best.

In 1985 we were living in Easton, so you'd think I'd remember a fire like that. Karen is upstairs so I'll have to ask her about it, she has a mind like a steel trap for things like that. Glad to hear you liked it, my Eastern Shore roots pull at me constantly and we visit friends there a lot ... gotta have my crabcake fix at least once a month, in season of course! The crab harvest is down 40% this year and they are running up to $200 a bushel, unbelievable.

OC hasn't changed much since you left, it was all built up in the 70's. I remember growing up when 36 St. was the LAST street with a street sign, can you imagine? The Carousel hotel was about the only thing north of there. Nothing until Fenwick Island. It's changed a lot since then, for sure. We sorta got tired of it after college and have vacationed in Cape May, NJ for last 20 years or so. In fact this August will be first time in those 20 years we haven't gone back because of my surgery. This is a year a will remember well

Well, sorry for the yacking, time to walk around some.

Take care all,

Thom

Old 07-25-2003, 09:05 AM   #730
    TexMich

TexMich HB User
    Hi everyone! TGIF!

Lisa- are you slipping away for a get-away wk end w/your hubby? Hope so!!

Dee - how did your doc's appt go? I know it'll be awhile before you get your blood wk back- and then YOU'LL have to call them - then THEY'LL have to call you (& leave a msg of course 'cause you'll be out when they call) - Doc's appts are sooo fun! Hope you get some good answers soon!

Daubie- glad your ten's unit's working so well! May I ask about how much those are (may be something for my hubby while he waits for ADR) [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/idea.gif[/img] - or will your insurance pay for it?

Thom- about chairs, Mike on this thread mentioned a special chair- I believe the seat area was a net type thingy to free float the coccyx (sounds fun anyway! ha ha) & releive pressure on the lumbar discs (in theory anyway!!). He'd gotten a few for fellow employees & himself & seemed pleased w/them. He mentioned Boise Cascade Office Furniture Catalog. May have to get your company to order it for you. Keep up your good progress - sounds like you've rec'd some good advice from the others here! To "fill in" (while Daubie's at work) your question on "what's there to cause continued pressure on the nerve after surgery"- wanted to tell you that altho the sciatic nerve is not impinged now by the disc- there's plenty of inflammation-swelling going on inside the incision site (from necessary trauma during surgery) - quite a lot going on in there during this point post-op recovery. That's why ice & anti-inflammatories that reduce the swelling- relieve the pressure on the nerve & thereby the painful sensations down your leg.

Linda- I wrote you a note on the Hi thread- you have do have some answers & a new MRI now- & you WILL find the right Doc & treatment! It will take persistence & not giving up hope & keep hammering til you find it [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/hammer.gif[/img] - what do you think about finding a really good, middle-aged female neuro or ortho? Sometimes- women doc's know how to really listen,understand & work harder on our probs with we women better than male docs. I really understood how you felt & I'm so sorry you were disappointed (again) -We're all here for you - hang in there!!

Samantha & everyone else- hope you & yours are doing well & have a very nice wk-end!

Laura

------------------
    Mar 2003:Micro-Discectomy w/Hemilaminectomy L5-S1
    Prior to that 4 mos of Sciatic pain; left side
    Herniated Disc L5/S1
    Bulging Disc L4/L5

[This message has been edited by TexMich (edited 07-25-2003).]
    08/03:PT @ 5 mos post-op for 6 wks: Results: Back & abdominal strength MUCH better - stretching exercises help only temporarily. Heavy feeling of pressure, restriction thru-out incision area post op. ~scar tissue adhering?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

11/03:Working with "Rolfing" expert to release scar tissue - Jury's still out on this procedure

Old 07-25-2003, 04:20 PM   #731
    davemcd

davemcd HB User

Hi Folks. Hello to the newcomers and cheers to the familiar gang. I've not been checking very often because I haven't had too much to contribute.

Happy Birthday Laura and Daubie !!! Laura, I'm glad you got to get out dancing with no punishment in exchange. That's great. Daubie, thanks for the info on the 'tens' unit. I wasn't aware of these.

Lisa, my ortho told me that you could start swimming after 4 weeks. Sidestroke and backstroke are best. You can do the crawl only if you have very good technique which keeps your body flat. Don't do the breast stroke at all as this causes the body to arch the back. (and yes, it does hurt - learned the hard way before meeting my ortho) The ortho snipped the strings that I had on my back holding the wound together with the stitching. I swam once with it in before meeting the ortho and it didn't seem to be a big deal. What is a PPO, by the way ?

Thom, to make your deak ergo-friendly, beyond a comfortable chair, it is very helpful if your monitor is in the right position. Make sure that you don't have to bend your neck downwards to see the screen. You can buy fancy stands but a stack of paper, telephone books, or other books can give your monitor some height so that it is high enough. If you work off of a laptop, you can use a separate monitor or put the laptop on the pedestal and then use a separate keyboard and mouse at the appropriate height.

Also, Thom, if you are bored, see if you can get to your local library. Sometimes they have VHS or DVD resources that you can sign out. This can provide hours of low-cost entertainment and education.

Sam, I hope your husband is doing well. Also, I'm fully on board with everyone else's recommendations about taking your time to heal properly. It will be worth it. I've hit the 4 week point and can now sit for short periods of time. I get sore when I sit for a while so I'm going to spend a little more time trying to build up the muscles before heading back and putting in normal days and my normal routine of travel.

I hope everyone is doing well. Cheers,

Dave.

- hockey impact injury to top of head in Dec. 2002
    - physiotherapy & chiropractic visits which did not fix the problem
    - pain shooting down into butt, leg, and calf
    - numbness in foot
    - big pain when coughing, laughing hard, or sneezing. Trouble sleeping at night.
    - ruptured disc between L5 & S1

Old 07-25-2003, 04:51 PM   #732
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    TGIF EVERYONE!!! Sounds like everyone's doing well today!
    ~Linda, haven't read your other post yet, but I will after I leave here. Hope you're ok...
    ~Laura, I want that tens unit! Same pain today (no PT on fridays!) I missed that relief (OK, I cheated and took a vicodin on my way home so I do feel better but I'd rather be better without drugs!) Came home and went right downstairs to do my exercises. And yes, insurance will cover the tens unit, you need a script from the doctor. I hear you can rent them for awhile first to see if they help you. Thanks for responding to Thom for me (filling in while I'm at work!). I couldn't have said it better myself!
    Dave~ nice to hear from you and thanks for the birthday wishes. No big plans. Anyway, you didn't really tell us how you are feeling 4 weeks post op. Still any pain or numbness? Give us details, man!
    ~Thom, how you doin??? Regarding return to work, my doc didn't push me, but I asked at my 4 week post op if I could return, and he said yes since I have a desk job and as long as I felt up to it, so he probably would have extended me if I asked. Regarding that damn nerve pain. Obviously there are some things that are going to aggravate it (for me, driving) so I try to move around, but I can't stop driving. But if you can stop what you're doing, then do so (like sitting too long, walking, moving the wrong way, etc). Will it ever go away? Nobody knows, but my PT thinks it will. I have a lot less nerve twinges than I did even 2 weeks ago, so that's encouraging (I'm referring to the twinges in your butt that run down your leg). But, the foot nerve pain is worse since I returned to work (due to driving, I swear!). Pt thinks it will all go away as I continue to develop my core muscles and he works on the nerve. I only have 1 week of PT left. I really hope he extends it! (how sad is that???). Even if he doesn't extend, I swear to keep up the exercises (I'm also not in the best physical shape, but I'm working on it!). My hubby is my rock, too. I've only been married 8 years, but love every minute of it. Feel very blessed to have such a supportive and wonderful spouse. How did the staple removing go? Did it hurt? Did the doc do anything else like suggest PT or anything?
    Hi to everyone else, hope everyone has a GREAT weekend! ~Daubie

------------------
    Car Accident 2/2/02
    Herniated disc L5/S1
    Epidurals x3, PT 4 mos, some relief
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    9/5/03 still have foot pain and numbness but recovered fine from surgery
    1/19/04 I am 7 mos post op. I still have the same foot pain as before surgery. Doc agrees it is probably permanent nerve damage. Started neurontin this week. Still glad I had the surgery though!

Old 07-25-2003, 07:53 PM   #733
    seeksbliss
    (female)

seeksbliss HB User
    Hi Samantha, Tung-Sol, (and hi to everyone!)
    Thanks for answering me. I have tried to respond twice on this site, and both times, it didn't post....so I became frustrated and left for a few days. Hope it's a go this time. Yes, I agree, if there ever is any improvement, it will be slow, but I feel I should have had SOME by now. Nevertheless, I went to get fitted in new athletic shoes today...had to go a size larger due to my foot brace that fits into shoes and goes up my leg for dropped foot. It sure makes me with less of a limp, even though I don't like wearing it. I walked the last two nights and have now developed thigh and hip pain, prob from limping somewhat, so I'm taking the night off. I see my doctor next Wednesday, so I'll get his take on this. I must say, I can walk without the brace, but when I do, I tend to bring my leg up way to high to avoid letting foot drag when I walk. But my foot is not acting paralyzed nor does it point ******d when I try to walk naturally. It just looks like my leg isn't tied down as much as other when I walk. As stated previously, my back has never hardly bothered me, so I hope walking is good for dropped foot....I know it is for the back.
    Yes, Tung-sol, I assumed that no pain before surgery was a bad sign. I haven't had much pain since my surgery in my foot or leg, but have been excited if I get TWINGES, as I believe they might be a sign the nerve is trying to heal. I may be wrong though. I feel normal in my back and leg....but have had twinges in my foot and toes and welcomed them, but they don't happen often...perhaps every few days.
    It is so fantastic to read about everyone's progress here. Keep up the good work! I wish you all the best and it really is helpful to continue reading about all of you.

------------------
    1987-2003=L4-5 herniated disc that only flared up once or twice a year causing back & leg pain.
    L4-5 disc ruptured worse & broke in March 2003, which left a piece pressing on nerve root, causing severe dropped foot,leg/ankle numbness & weakness. Numbness disappeared on it's own BEFORE surgery.
    Hemilaminectomy/Microdiscetomy May 1, 2003.
    Dropped foot & ankle weakness not improved since surgery.
    Age 50

Old 07-25-2003, 08:50 PM   #734
    Tung-Sol
    (male)

Tung-Sol HB User
    Hi all,

Well, after an hour and half ride in DC traffic ... the staples are OUT! I can not believe how wobbly I was walking on a sidewalk was very weird, considering I hadn't been outside, save strolling on the deck, for 12 days. When I first got in the car I was very surprised at how weak my RIGHT leg was, let alone the left. I can't imagine operating the pedals. Did it atrophy already? The really good news is I can lift my left foot about an inch now while standing with no support. He said that's a very good sign and he's sure it'll all come back eventually.

Daubie... no removing the staples didn't hurt, just a little pinch with each one, all 26 of them. He's said the incision was healing nicely. He asked about pain, and I said only when I move He asked what I was taking for pain, I said Aleve and he shook his head. "It's a cycle, if you don't move you tighten up, more pain, we need to break the pain cyle so you can get outside and walk, swim, etc." He thought I would have just been doped up for two weeks on the Vicodin and I said I only took it for two days. He prescribed Medrol pac to reduce inflamation, swelling and relieve pressure on nerve, then Vioxx 25mg 4x/day when Medrol is done and some Tylenol 3 if I need it. I have plenty of Vicodin left too, but I really don't want to take any opiates if I can help it, so I hope the Vioxx works. The Medrol worked great before surgery, so I assume it should work even better now. I'm to schedule PT starting next week.

I asked about work and he said come back in a month! I said you're kidding, and he said no, but to see what the PT said after two weeks. He really doesn't want me driving one hour commute each way, nor sitting all day at my desk/computer, soooooo, guess I'm going to see what happens.

While stopping for some steaks for dinner (yum) and prescriptions, Karen got me a bag of frozen peas, haha!

Laura ... Thanks for the info, he pretty much confirmed your diagnosis, lots of swelling going on. I had looked up the Herman Miller Aeron chair a few days ago, and guess what all the people were sitting in at the NS office. I got to try one out, but they were all A size for little women Tomorrow Karen and I are going to a stocking dealer and I can try the C size out. Not cheap, but at this point ...

Mike, thanks for all the good ideas. I think I'll do ok as long as "the chair" works out. My desk and computer are already pretty ergo, flatscreen at eye level, etc. Yeah, two more weeks minimum at home will require some creativity at keeping my mind busy. Actually, as I've begun settling into telecommuting and staff now not afraid to call, turns out yesterday was a full day and even today until we finally left for doc and I turned the cellphone OFF!

Well, enough news from me. Thanks again to all for your help and support, and my best wishes to all as we continu recovery or, like you Linda, seem to be starting all over.

Thom

Old 07-25-2003, 09:27 PM   #735
    davemcd

davemcd HB User
    Daubie,

To answer your question, at the 4 week point I'm getting pretty sore after only short times of sitting. I feel like I'm pretty far away from being able to get back into the full swing and my ortho recommended really getting into the swimming aggressively. He said that if I want to resume my regular routine, that I should exercise (swimming and some physio type exercise) and rest for another number of weeks.

I'm struggling with what to do about work. Do I stay away and really focus on the rest and recovery or do I start trying to get back in partially ? It's hard to work at 1/4, 1/3 or 1/2 of capacity.

I was a little hesitant to mention this earlier because it seems like everyone else is bouncing back so quickly and jumping right back in to work. Hopefully the rest will come quickly with swimming and other work.

Cheers, Daubie. Have a good weekend.

Dave.

- hockey impact injury to top of head in Dec. 2002
    - physiotherapy & chiropractic visits which did not fix the problem
    - pain shooting down into butt, leg, and calf
    - numbness in foot
    - big pain when coughing, laughing hard, or sneezing. Trouble sleeping at night.
    - ruptured disc between L5 & S1

Closed Thread