It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Is anyone here an adult taking amphetamine (i.e: Ritalian) for ADHD? Please respond!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2004, 09:36 PM   #1
    cutetexan

cutetexan HB User
    Is anyone here an adult taking amphetamine (i.e: Ritalian) for ADHD? Please respond!

Ok...here is the thing. I started taking strattera no so long ago. The first week was amazing, it really made me focus and concentrate like never b4. But now, for some reason it just seems that it lost it's effectiveness. Did anyone experience that? I am thinking about asking my shrink for Ritalian or Concerta or whatever, but I heard they are only prescribed to kids and not to adults. I have heard few instances about adults taking amphetamines but apparently docs are often reluctant to prescribe it. Is anyone here an adult taking amphetamine medication? If so, how did you get it? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 02:09 AM   #2
    sheezle

sheezle HB User
    Re: Is anyone here an adult taking amphetamine (i.e: Ritalian) for ADHD? Please respond!

do some research on these drugs and make sure you read the part of what happens to you when you decide to stop. Make your request when you are sure this is what you want...

Old 07-23-2004, 09:23 PM   #3
    saxgirl

saxgirl HB User
    Re: Is anyone here an adult taking amphetamine (i.e: Ritalian) for ADHD? Please respond!

I'm an adult & take concerta. I wasn't diagnosed until college...the school shrink gave me ritalin to help me through finals. The next semester I tried wellbutrin, but it gave me panic attacks, so I switched back to ritalin, then later concerta. I've also tried strattera but it made me really sick & tired. I've had three shrinks & all of them were ok with giving me amphetamines.

Old 07-24-2004, 09:09 AM   #4
    phyld

phyld HB User

To make a long story short, I had a closed head injury at 41 yo. I have been on ritalin and now dexadrine spansules for years. My Neuropsychiatrist started me on ritalin then switched me to dexadrene. No problems with continuing the medication with my regular physician. It has made it possible for me to rebuild a life and to find some semblence of confidence in myself. I only had to challenge one insurance company for providing coverage for it and have to apply for coverage from my new ins. co. I understood that it is bcoming a rather common need as so many people are post head injury and really cannot regain functionality very well without that. There are many articles and well substanciated studies about the need of many adults with ADD to continue the medications. I might question those you encounter that are reluctant to continue something that is absolutely benificial to many. It can always be stopped or changed if the results are not what is needed.
    Good Luck,
    Phyld

Old 07-24-2004, 11:10 AM   #5
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutetexan
    Ok...here is the thing. I started taking strattera no so long ago. The first week was amazing, it really made me focus and concentrate like never b4. But now, for some reason it just seems that it lost it's effectiveness. Did anyone experience that? I am thinking about asking my shrink for Ritalian or Concerta or whatever, but I heard they are only prescribed to kids and not to adults. I have heard few instances about adults taking amphetamines but apparently docs are often reluctant to prescribe it. Is anyone here an adult taking amphetamine medication? If so, how did you get it? Thanks!
    Losing effectiveness is a sign of tolerance. This can also happen with amphetamines so keep that in mind. Long-term use of amphetamines have been recently linked to the development depression.

Old 08-08-2004, 10:22 PM   #6
    jlf

jlf HB User

I am 26 and was just diagnosed a couple of months ago. I have been taking dexadrine for a couple of months now. So far it is great. My Dr recommended it bc it is effective and inexpensive.

Old 08-14-2004, 09:06 AM   #7
    angerfillsme
    (female)

angerfillsme HB User

Hey, I'm in college and I my doc started me out on Ritalin but I really didn't like the side effects so now I'm on Adderall. It's true there really isn't much out there about prescribing these meds on adults and that's mainly because kids in school are usually the primary focus for these meds but also research of adults on these meds is unfortunately limited.

Old 08-14-2004, 09:36 AM   #8
    ohio hunter
    Veteran
    (male)

ohio hunter HB User

have you ckecked out lyme disease? it has mental effects as well as the phisical ones.

Old 08-14-2004, 11:07 AM   #9
    Mutt00

Mutt00 HB User
    Re: Is anyone here an adult taking amphetamine (i.e: Ritalian) for ADHD? Please respo

"Losing effectiveness is a sign of tolerance. This can also happen with amphetamines so keep that in mind. Long-term use of amphetamines have been recently linked to the development depression."
    -Jenneta

Ty so much what you just said solved my problems I took Adderal in the morning and a 10mg of an amphatamine in the afternoons. After a while of using the damn stuff I started losing interest in things and it felt like all i had to do was just get stuff done... It also made a lot of anxiety problems Ive had a lot worse. I quit using amphetamines and now it finally feels like Im back to my normal self and no more insomnia:P The reason this was problem for me is amphatamines only help me out for a little while then the effect wares off but i still have the energy but for wanting to be a animator its hard to come up with ideas and get that inspiration back but its hard to get that inspiration back when I am on meds I just dont have the drive to do anything I just like I need to get stuff done not want to get stuff done. LOL its hard to explain. To sum it up amphatamines make me feel like a robot.

Last edited by Mutt00; 08-14-2004 at 11:09 AM.

Old 08-14-2004, 02:51 PM   #10
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    Re: Is anyone here an adult taking amphetamine (i.e: Ritalian) for ADHD? Please respo

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mutt00
    "Losing effectiveness is a sign of tolerance. This can also happen with amphetamines so keep that in mind. Long-term use of amphetamines have been recently linked to the development depression."
    -Jenneta

Ty so much what you just said solved my problems I took Adderal in the morning and a 10mg of an amphatamine in the afternoons. After a while of using the damn stuff I started losing interest in things and it felt like all i had to do was just get stuff done... It also made a lot of anxiety problems Ive had a lot worse. I quit using amphetamines and now it finally feels like Im back to my normal self and no more insomnia:P The reason this was problem for me is amphatamines only help me out for a little while then the effect wares off but i still have the energy but for wanting to be a animator its hard to come up with ideas and get that inspiration back but its hard to get that inspiration back when I am on meds I just dont have the drive to do anything I just like I need to get stuff done not want to get stuff done. LOL its hard to explain. To sum it up amphatamines make me feel like a robot.
    They made you feel that way because they are a drug, not medicine no matter what we've been told.

Adderall is an amphetamine, an amphetamine is speed, no matter how "controlled" a prescription is, it is still something toxic to the brain. With any psychoactive drug like that, tolerance (effects wear off) is always a possibilty down the road. Tolerance, as I read it explained once, is the brain's "self defense" against a chemical trying to run it. Tolerance will cause the brain to build up opposing receptors to nullify the drugs' effect. This leaves the brain with imbalances of receptors.

Those imbalances can correct themselves with drug abstinence, but the amount of time that takes can be short or very long, depending.

Anyway, good luck with the animation, that has to be a very cool field to be in...

Old 08-14-2004, 10:48 PM   #11
    norat
    Inactive

norat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita
    They made you feel that way because they are a drug, not medicine no matter what we've been told.
    On what basis do you base that quote? What defines "drug" by your definition? How is it that you are more informed then the entire medical community? I would certainly like to see your research.

Old 08-15-2004, 07:52 AM   #12
    Mutt00

Mutt00 HB User

I think what she means is its a stimulant like all amphatamines the term for "drug" she was using was being compared to street drugs. Yes indeed like all street drugs u build up a tolerance and can get addicted for example cocaine... "speed" as you heard is just another name for an amphetamine although in its purest form. Instead of drug i think what she means is a stimulant just like vikadin (spelling?) or morphine is a derivitive of Opium, they use it to help with pain, as an amphatimne is good for keeping u energized and focused.

Also, let me add all medicines are drugs (drug stores? LOL) stimulants though are the ones that can give you a "high"

Last edited by Mutt00; 08-15-2004 at 07:57 AM.

Old 08-15-2004, 11:54 AM   #13
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andocrates
    On what basis do you base that quote? What defines "drug" by your definition? How is it that you are more informed then the entire medical community? I would certainly like to see your research.
    Mutt00 is basically right, I mean street drugs, or, psychoactive drugs meant to alter brain chemicals for a certain effect, like euphoria. Now I know people don't necessarily get "high" on prescribed doses, but euphoria can even be defined as something as simple as "elevated mood". Aggressive behaviors, depression, sleep disorder, etc. can be a result of even prescribed doses. And the physical effects are well known on the heart and other systems; just look at the adverse effects list for those.

But the fact remains, an amphetamine is an amphetamine, and that was my main point. It is not like insulin; the body does not need or manufacture amphetamines.

Closed Thread