It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Anyone know if 10mg of accutane will control my oily tzone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2004, 06:54 PM   #1
    James132

James132 HB User
    Anyone know if 10mg of accutane will control my oily tzone?

It's driving me nutz like 2 hours into work my face is a oily sheet sigh........keep having to wipe it off after a couple hours to so embarassing =(

So Im going to ask my derm if he can prescribe me that.

I tried 20 mg and it did miracles for the oily skin

Also i'll ask if I go for a prolonged period of time on 10mg if it'll have any affect on my body.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2004, 06:59 PM   #2
    KarynLR
    (female)

KarynLR HB User
    Re: Anyone know if 10mg of accutane will control my oily tzone?

You know, my derm explained to me that Accutane should be prescribed at about the same dosage for any level of acne, so I highly doubt whether 10 or 20 mg will do much, since most people take 60 to 80 mg a day. Also, there are other things you can do for oily skin... if oily skin is your chief complaint, I'd stay away from the Accutane.

Old 07-27-2004, 07:02 PM   #3
    James132

James132 HB User

im still breaking out tho............

like on the side of my head and a big cyst also came up where I shave since i think it kinda got grown under the skin ........anywhoo whatelse u think would help with ioily skin

only thing that works is internal imo................sorry but washing everyhour really isn't working.

and I've tried the vitamin B5 route and eating right foods etc.......really didn't help either.

Old 07-27-2004, 07:16 PM   #4
    KarynLR
    (female)

KarynLR HB User

I'm still getting cysts too and I'm still taking Adoxa and Nicomide. We aren't at a point yet where he wants to try Accutane again. For the oily, try Clinac OC. It's produced by a lab here in metro Detroit, MI, so I special order it from my pharmacy, but I'm sure you could ask at yours or order online. It's a very effective, gel that goes on colorless and really helps with surface oil control.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:21 PM   #5
    jornella
    (male)

jornella HB User

I know what ur saying james. My skin is the same way...oily after an hour or two and still slightly breaking out. I am on minocycline and retin-a but my oilyness has never decreased. I am going to ask my derm if i can go on a low dosage until i outgrow it (iam 21, so it shouldnt be much longer). Why did you get off your 20mg dosage in the first place?

Old 07-27-2004, 10:20 PM   #6
    lulu00

lulu00 HB User

i haven't tried accutane, so i wouldn't know, but mac cosmetics makes these amazing little films that you can blot on your face and they absorb all the oil. they're great becuase they don't contain any powder or anything like that, so they leave your face clean and don't mess up any other make up you may have on.
    also, i've been on 50 mg/ day of spiro for my acne and that has really helped with the oil reduction.

Old 07-28-2004, 03:40 PM   #7
    James132

James132 HB User
    Smile Re: Anyone know if 10mg of accutane will control my oily tzone?

well I can't take the spiro because I'm a guy and that'll make me have female attribues. which i don't want lol

and I stopped taking the 20mg because i ordered it online through an illegal pharmacy and it made my joints ache but it stopped the oil dead on

man what a beatiful 30 days.

oh wow.

Clinac OC supposedly collects the oil etc for up to 8 hrs!! do a google search like a small squeeze tube is like 17 bux and doesn't need a prescription i'll keep u up to date

[url]http://www.dermadoctor.com/product.asp?AID=1600&LID=1&productid=277[/url]

hmmm! ill order that one also see which one works better woo! hope this works!

Finally something that works!
    by laughing_girl,Jan 13 '04
    Pros: Dramatically decreases oil, but doesn't dry skin.
    Cons: It smells a little medicine-like when you apply, but that goes away.

Clinac O.C. is a great product. Oily skin runs in my family and I've fought with it for my entire adult life. Recently, my dermatologist gave me a sample tube of Clinac O.C. and I was amazed at the difference. It doesn't dry my skin at all, it just keeps it from turning into an oil slick. My skin is also sensitive and this is not irritating. I would (and have) highly recommend this to anyone with oily skin.

Product Rating:

More oily than ever!
    by missedhalo,Feb 11 '04
    Pros: Not too expensive
    Cons: Hard to find

After trying many products to help my very oily skin, I decided to try this one after finding it on a website and seeing how many people liked it. Boy, I sure was not one of them! This made my skin very, very oily, much oiler than normal! I was very disappointed and threw it away.

these are two reviews..........so but for 17 bux who cares!

Last edited by James132; 07-28-2004 at 03:58 PM.

Old 07-30-2004, 04:36 PM   #8
    James132

James132 HB User

I just got it and so far it's kept my oily skin fairly oil free for about 5 hrs and counting.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
    xdenielx
    (male)

xdenielx HB User

Hey guys,

I have exactly the same problems as you, oily T-zone, get cysts (like 2-3 at a time, not severe but never clear).

I started accutane 4 weeks ago, 20mg/day. It had already started to stop my oil production, but unfortunately I started losing hair pretty quickly (I would have 20-25 stuck to my hand if i put my hand through my hair in the shower). I stopped taking it about a week ago, and the hairloss is slowing down. My derm says the hairloss is rare, so it's definitely worth the risk.

Now that accutane is out of the question for me, I'm looking for alternative methods. I'm hearing great things about this jojoba oil to control your oil production, you should look into it.

Closed Thread