It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• ADHD To medicate or not to medicate....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2004, 01:12 PM   #31
    sodawater
    (male)

sodawater HB User
    Re: ADHD To medicate or not to medicate....

Both the dough and tomato sauce in these kinds of pizza are likely to contain immense amounts of sugar.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2004, 03:10 PM   #32
    apinecone

apinecone HB User

Ya! Pizza !! Bring it on!!! But on my piece in addition to holding the sugar could you hold the yeast, milk/cheese, and sausage?

yeast infection/sensitivity (http://www.foodintol.com/eliminationdiet.asp), lactose intolerance and milk allergy (http://www.lactose.co.uk/), nitrite sensitivity (http://www.tigmor.com/free/migraine.pdf).

Old 07-23-2004, 06:38 AM   #33
    bec123
    (female)

bec123 HB User

to speis family,

I think its beautiful to see you taking such an intent interest in the well being of your child , it sounds like you deserve a medal for your perserverence, I am 23 and have a four year old son who is extremely hyperactive and could quite possibly have been diagnosed with adhd, but Ive read one too many stories like your own that made me take an alternate route, I was also given a book called " the indigo children ' by lee carroll and jan tober, which gave me a different perspective about these overly enthusiastic kiddies, you should have a read and see what you think , you might get something out of it , or think its rubbish! , but I found it helpful

bec123

Old 07-23-2004, 09:31 AM   #34
    SpeisFamily

SpeisFamily HB User

bec123,
    Thank you, I love to read, think I will pick that one up at the library next week. Thanks

Old 07-27-2004, 02:04 PM   #35
    dadwhocares

dadwhocares HB User

well I think I am making some headway with my son's doctor. I called the other day and talked to a new nurse in her office and asked if my son needed his concerta if he is calmer before I give it to him than after, she refused to comment but yesterday she called and said the doctor wanted to speak to me. I have an appointment at 11:45 this friday. I finally got his medical records as well and it does not show anywhere that this particular doctor did an evaluation of my son personally, she apparently has just gone off of past medical records. The records also indicated that she has increased his dosage because his mom said he was not doing well in school. I find this funny because none of my kids were doing well at the private school attended and as soon as she changed schools all three of their grades went thru the roof. FULL STEAM AHEAD!!!!!

Old 07-27-2004, 05:42 PM   #36
    Laird

Laird HB User

Alrighty...

I registered here on healthboards in order to reply to a different subject, but then I saw this one and figured I'd give it a read...

I am a 29 year old male. I was originally diagnosed with ADHD in gradeschool. My parents, both very intelligent and intellectual minded individuals, did just about everything and anything that responsible parents could do for me.

Excuse me if I don't reply to each of your handles individually, but I think you'll get the message.

In regards to school/home-school/public school - I agree, the public school system is ill-equipped for the needs of the ad(h)d child. I was a very advanced student, and had I been put in a public school I would have been placed in 3rd grade instead of first. My mother, who graduated high school when she was 16 and college when she was 19, instead found a wonderful alternative - I went to a montessori school. I believe that this type of education would better prepare ANYONE for the real world, but is especially well suited for an add child.

Before my parents put me on any medication, they went the dietary route. It was carab bars and sugar-free jello, etc. for a long time... Wonders have been made in this area since my youth, btw. I was pretty precocious, and would eat packs of sugar for mcdonalds, and kept a box of REAL cherry jello, lick my fingers and lick it off...

Anyways, eventually they moved to medication (ritalin). For some reason or another I didn't want to be "changed" by the medication, and constantly informed my parents that they made me feel "funny." And since they really didn't see much improvement, they let me make my own decision. This was when I was around 12 years old..

Well, the reason they didn't see any improvement was because much of the time I wasn't really taking the medication, just putting it under my tongue... As I said, precocious child...

I really wish that I had taken the medication.

Though I, too, was in all the "advanced" classes it was only due to my high intellect that I was able to get along.. ADHD individuals create a myriad of different coping mechanisms. I would sit there in class, in a conversation, whereever, looking right at you, but actually be somewhere else. Eventually, it would come time for me to respond and I would then in a couple of seconds replay that which I wasn't even listening to to begin with in my mind before I could respond. This is only one of many tricks of the trade....

Anyways, someone earlier on in this thread talked about males suffering from adhd are more likely to turn to alcohol and drugs. I can definitely attest to that.

I started self medicating myself with a variety of different substances to help control my hyperactivity and attention disorder at 15 or 16. Now that's not the ONLY reason I used drugs, but I'd say that it's the reason that I didn't just use them "experimentally" or "recreationally" like everyone else.

Nonetheless, I lived a relatively happy and productive life for quite some time. Mind you, I had to smoke pot just about every day after work in order to sit still (or even be able to get to sleep so I could get up the next morning to go to work)... The problem w/being a highly intelligent adhd druggy, instead of just a dope, is that people don't really see the problem. They think you're just eccentric. And since I left college and I was making six figures who was really gonna say things weren't going well?

When I was 26 I stepped up to heroin after work to calm down... And, needless to say, it was a downward spiral from there..

I could go on and on about a variety of different subjects, but I won't. I just wanted to let ya'll know that I REALLY REALLY wish that I'd taken meds when I was a kid...

The original poster of this thread seems to have their mind made up about things, but why get on here and post it they really are? Do you really think that your kid has kidney stones because of their add meds? Why? It just seems like your a little too anti-establishment and that that might not be the best thing for your kids... (if some people heard me say that I'm sure their mouths would drop)...

Oh... And if the schools suck, then the fact that your kid's in an advanced class doesn't necessarily mean she's advanced, does it? Are you SURE that she has enough contact "with kids running around the neighborhood and bible study"?

I've only been involved with your problems for, like, 15-20 minutes, and I'm sure you're putting a lot of time and care into the decisions you make for your family, but aren't there some other options? Home-schooling may seem like a great idea from your standpoint, but you seem to jump back and forth btwn "I don't get upset when she's running around the kitchen at 100 MPH, I ask her to help, and she loves to" and "I realize that I was just letting the medication do the parenting, and putting her in front of the tv and gameboy"

NEWSFLASH - KIDS LIKE GAMES - STUDYS TELL US THAT THEY'RE GOOD FOR THEM - MY GAME/COMPUTER USAGE HAS GIVEN ME A VIABLE INCOME FOREVER.

Anyways... I just wanted to say a word or two... and I did... so..

Peace,

D

Old 07-27-2004, 06:46 PM   #37
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Laird,

Thank you for sharing your personal experience. It's always good for us parents to hear what it is like from people "who have been there".

What I think is awesome is how you've managed to turn your computer usage into a living. That's cool! I hope my son will be able to find a career in a field that he enjoys.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-28-2004, 11:17 AM   #38
    dadwhocares

dadwhocares HB User

Laird, I am empathetic to your situation although I have never been there, and I commend what you have done with you life. However, I don't think anyone is saying that a child that needs to be medicated shouldn't. I have a son that did poorly at a private school and I talked to the teachers on a regular basis and I will tell you that although I don't think my son need concerta, regardless they were not prepared to handle a child with it. I want you to know that I disagree with sitting a child in front of the TV or a video game if you can get out and do things with them. Did your parents do constructive things with you? Or did they allow you to sit there and play video games all the time. Although you have made a career out of your hobby, is it possible that if you played some sports or did more outside activities that you might not have needed the medication? I am not asking to criticize, I am asking because I truly want your opinion. I hate the fact that when my son is with my ex he is medicated and put in front of the TV because he is too much for her to handle, and when he is with me he is just fine without his meds as long as we stay busy doing things that are constructive. He is now in a public school and is doing better than ever. Like I said I don't mean to criticize you but think about it, if a kid already has a lot of energy, is it wise to stick him in front of the TV?

Old 07-28-2004, 12:22 PM   #39
    SpeisFamily

SpeisFamily HB User

I never said I was anti-establishment nor do I agree with your interpritation of my situation. I also never said that we should never let our children watch TV or play video games. What I was saying is that I used to be much like many parents, and stuck my daughter in front of the TV or video game along with medication to keep her "under control". The fact was, I didn't spend enough time with her. I did not involve her in my everyday activities, I considered her different from other children and didn't understand how to take care of my own child. I say this because I am ashamed that I tried to handle her the way I did and am now changing and trying to give others ideas of ways to give ADD/ADHD children attention and help them to learn to control themselves without depending on medication or turning to drugs. And kids need excersize man.

Honestly Laird, I think you were a bit rude and didn't fully comprehend what I was saying.

The reason I believe that the time release medication, Concerta, caused these kidney stones in my daughter is because of much research I have done. Many doctors are finding children coming into the ER's with horrible pain, upon CAT scans they are finding Concerta built up in their kidneys. In fact many doctors have removed these pieces of medication assuming it was a kidney stone and upon evaluation found it was pieces of Concerta. I have not simply jumped to conclusions but also discussed this with my daughter's nephrologist. And by the way, since I took my daughter off of the medication at the beginning of summer her tests are already coming back better, if that isn't proof enough.

Last edited by SpeisFamily; 07-29-2004 at 09:53 AM.

Old 07-29-2004, 09:18 AM   #40
    dadwhocares

dadwhocares HB User

Just food for thought. Hasn't it been proven that execise will help you relax?

Old 08-07-2004, 03:57 AM   #41
    Laird

Laird HB User

Did your parents do constructive things with you? Or did they allow you to sit there and play video games all the time. Although you have made a career out of your hobby, is it possible that if you played some sports or did more outside activities that you might not have needed the medication?

Yes, there were always many sports and physical activities in addition to the intellectual while I was growing up. I started skiing & playing th piano at 4 and have continued my entire life (though I moved to snowboarding @ 18), played soccer & baseball in leagues up until high school, and then played football and wrestled varsity. I practiced and went to kae kwan doe camp, in addition to a performing arts camp in upstate new york and a "camp" camp for quite a few years before I became a camp counsellor there teaching Tennis and horseback riding. I was active in all the scouting programs up until boy scouts, when I quit. I also took gymnastic lessons & tennis lessons. I played with my dad all summer long, and they participated in just about everything I did - for example, after my brother and I started skiing my mother started a ski club at my school. . My family also did a LOT of travelling together.

So, I wouldn't really say that my parents used TV or the computer as a babysitter or major parenting tool.

re: kidney stones/concerta/etc.

Use a different medication. Didn't mean to come across as rude, though, generally, you're not alone in that assessment

"I am ashamed that I tried to handle her the way I did and am now changing and trying to give others ideas of ways to give ADD/ADHD children attention and help them to learn to control themselves without depending on medication or turning to drugs. "

^^^^ boils things down to their essentials

My parents put a time limit on the amount of time I spent on the computer when I was like 9 or 10 years old. You seem to equate the medication with absentee parentism/drugged up children with lifeless eyes, bloodshot from hours of television.

A newfound commitment to paying attention to and caring for one's child doesn't necessarily take away the need for medication, it implies that the problem isn't that your child has adhd, it's because you weren't a good parent. Now you are resolute to be he exact opposite of the absentee parent - homeschooling. Maybe you're going too far the other way.

Time for bed - Extremely tired - Hope coherency level not too low.

D

Old 08-08-2004, 09:07 AM   #42
    JDRkids

JDRkids HB User

Well for whatever it is worth:

My internship was counseling inmates, I got all the drug dependent ones. Many of them were ADD/ADHD. From my studying and from my experience with working with many individuals here is basically what I understand is happening.

The brains of ADD/ADHD are different than brains that are not ADD/ADHD. It is on a scale, from less to worse. When someones brain is ADD/ADHD the individual automatically seeks out either a stimulating experience to feed an under-stimulated brain, or low stimulaton to assist the over-stimulated brain. Thus illegal drugs use. Thus the use of Ritalin/Adderall ect. The stimulant wakes up the sleepy part of the brain, the part of the brain that needs nudged in order for the individual to think clearly ect.It either will nudge the slow down part for the over stimulated, or nudge the excite part for the under stimulated.

jdrkids

Old 08-09-2004, 07:04 AM   #43
    SpeisFamily

SpeisFamily HB User

I agree with your comparisson of ADD/ADHD medication to illegal drugs/narcotics because that is exactly what it is, a narcotic. I chose not to give it to my daughter anymore not because I am a bad parent but because I have found other, more effective ways of handeling it.

Old 08-11-2004, 11:15 AM   #44
    dadwhocares

dadwhocares HB User

My Son Came Over This Weekend And Was Wired As Usual When I Picked Him Up. He Had Already Taken His Medication. On Sunday I Did Not Give It To Him When He Woke Up And He Was Fine All Morning And Into The Afternoon. We Decided To Go Shopping And As We Were Walking To The Car He Asked For His Medication. (i Was Told By His Pediatrician To Give It To Him On The Days That He Would Be Returning To His Mom) I Was Shocked That He Asked For It Until I Learned Later That He Had Gotten In Trouble At Home For Not Taking. Needless To Say Within 30 Minutes Of Taking It He Got Very Energetic And Finally Hit His Little Sister. This Weekend I Start Getting Him On Friday Evening And Returning Him Monday Morning So It Will Be Interesting To See How He Does On The 2 Days He Doesn't Take His Meds.

Last edited by dadwhocares; 08-11-2004 at 11:16 AM.

Old 08-11-2004, 11:49 AM   #45
    SpeisFamily

SpeisFamily HB User

Most children who are misdiagnosed with ADD/ADHD get extremely hyper on the medication. My younger daughter got ahold of my older daughters medication once and took 1 before I got to her and all night long she was bouncing off the walls. She couldn't stop moving, she was jumping around and would not pay attention to anything. This medication has the opposite effect on children that do not have the disorder.

I really think your son may be misdiagnosed. He just doesn't seem to have the right symptoms. Does he fidgit constantly, talk nonstop, squirm around while seated, is he easily distracted, or does he not think about consequences for actions such as doing dangerous things that could get him or someone else hurt? Those are a few of the most common symptoms.

Last edited by SpeisFamily; 08-11-2004 at 11:53 AM.

Closed Thread