It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board

• What is Borderline personality Disorder?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-28-2004, 01:25 AM   #1
    dd annie
    (female)

dd annie HB User
    What is Borderline personality Disorder?

What is Borderline personality Disorder? I was reading on the internet about anger problems and I came across this disorder. What exactly is it? Where would a person go to get tested?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2004, 05:47 AM   #2
    sloski
    Inactive

sloski HB User
    Re: What is Borderline personality Disorder?

I was misdiagnosed with manic depression and have since found out I have bpd. This is more than just anger problems. This is intense out of control flying off the handle at even the smallest things. There are several books out there on bpd. I hate the "walking on eggshells" book. Dashes all hope away. There is an awesome one called "lost in the mirror". I literally felt like I was reading my life. A lot of people with bpd say that about the book. There is a good web site called bpd sanctuary. It has a place for people with bpd to talk and also a place for families to go. This disease can tear you up inside and destroy family/friend relationships. It is so important to get help. Just like you I just heard of the bpd somewhere and thought it sounded exactly like me. After reading the book I was confident enough to go to a psychiatrist not just a counselor for help. I am taking geodon for bpd and I swear it has saved my life. I also take wellbutrin and I am happier and more stable than I have ever been. Good Luck check it out and get to the doctor.

Old 07-30-2004, 07:06 AM   #3
    shorty04
    Inactive

shorty04 HB User

A person with a borderline personality disorder often experiences a repetitive pattern of disorganization and instability in self-image, mood, behavior and close personal relationships. This can cause significant distress or impairment in friendships and work. A person with this disorder can often be bright and intelligent, and appear warm, friendly and competent. They sometimes can maintain this appearance for a number of years until their defense structure crumbles, usually around a stressful situation like the breakup of a romantic relationship or the death of a parent.

Relationships with others are intense but stormy and unstable with marked shifts of feelings and difficulties in maintaining intimate, close connections. The person may manipulate others and often has difficulty with trusting others. There is also emotional instability with marked and frequent shifts to an empty lonely depression or to irritability and anxiety. There may be unpredictable and impulsive behavior which might include excessive spending, promiscuity, gambling, drug or alcohol abuse, shoplifting, overeating or physically self-damaging actions such as suicide gestures. The person may show inappropriate and intense anger or rage with temper tantrums, constant brooding and resentment, feelings of deprivation, and a loss of control or fear of loss of control over angry feelings. There are also identity disturbances with confusion and uncertainty about self-identity, sexuality, life goals and values, career choices, friendships. There is a deep-seated feeling that one is flawed, defective, damaged or bad in some way, with a tendency to go to extremes in thinking, feeling or behavior. Under extreme stress or in severe cases there can be brief psychotic episodes with loss of contact with reality or bizarre behavior or symptoms. Even in less severe instances, there is often significant disruption of relationships and work performance. The depression which accompanies this disorder can cause much suffering and can lead to serious suicide attempts.

It is a common disorder with estimates running as high as 10-14% of the general population. The frequency in women is two to three times greater than men. This may be related to genetic or hormonal influences. An association between this disorder and severe cases of premenstrual tension has been postulated. Women commonly suffer from depression more often than men. The increased frequency of borderline disorders among women may also be a consequence of the greater incidence of incestuous experiences during their childhood. This is believed to occur ten times more often in women than in men, with estimates running to up to one-fourth of all women. This chronic or periodic victimization and sometimes brutalization can later result in impaired relationships and mistrust of men and excessive preoccupation with sexuality, sexual promiscuity, inhibitions, deep-seated depression and a seriously damaged self-image. There may be an innate predisposition to this disorder in some people. Because of this there may ensue subsequent failures in development in the relationship between mother and infant particularly during the separation and identity-forming phases of childhood.

Treatment includes psychotherapy which allows the patient to talk about both present difficulties and past experiences in the presence of an empathetic, accepting and non-judgemental therapist. The therapy needs to be structured, consistent and regular, with the patient encouraged to talk about his or her feelings rather than to discharge them in his or her usual self-defeating ways. Sometimes medications such as antidepressants, lithium carbonate, or antipsychotic medication are useful for certain patients or during certain times in the treatment of individual patients. Treatment of any alcohol or drug abuse problems is often mandatory if the therapy is to be able to continue. Brief hospitalization may sometimes be necessary during acutely stressful episodes or if suicide or other self-destructive behavior threatens to erupt. Hospitalization may provide a a temporary removal from external stress. Outpatient treatment is usually difficult and long-term - sometimes over a number of years. The goals of treatment could include increased self-awareness with greater impulse control and increased stability of relationships. A positive result would be in one's increased tolerance of anxiety. Therapy should help to alleviate psychotic or mood-disturbance symptoms and generally integrate the whole personality. With this increased awareness and capacity for self-observation and introspection, it is hoped the patient will be able to change the rigid patterns tragically set earlier in life and prevent the pattern from repeating itself in the next generational cycle.

There you go HAHAH love the copy and paste button. My doctor thinks I could have BPD since a lot of these symptoms describe me but since I'm only 16 I cannot be diagnosed because my personality could change. I don't think it will tho.

Old 08-12-2004, 04:36 PM   #4
    S4875

S4875 HB User

What you need to do to get tested is go to see a psychiatrist, one that's good. I saw one and she said that Borderline personality disorder is something that you can actually outgrow. When I was about 16, I would feel as if I could seriously lose it when I got angry, I would lie, I did things like spending money, etc but as I got older it seemed to just disappear as I grew. She and another psychiatrist I saw both said the only way to know about things like that is to go and see a professional. A lot of psychiatrists are worse than the patient in the sense they don't listen, they don't even help. But there are a lot that are really, really good. That's all I could say was go and see one, and they can tell you what's going on and if that's something to look at.

Old 08-24-2004, 05:51 PM   #5
    burg
    (male)

burg HB User
    Angry Re: What is Borderline personality Disorder?-nothing!

Removed due to personal reasons, do not wish to have post here

Last edited by burg; 10-30-2007 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Removed due to personal reasons, do not wish to have post here

Old 08-29-2004, 11:04 PM   #6
    ChaosStar

ChaosStar HB User

BPD isn't exactly a catch-all for mental disorders. While it may include many different *symptoms*, it doesn't include the full-blown disorder associated with each.

From an article in the Psychiatric Times:
    Quote:
    Currently, DSM-IV-TR emphasizes that patients with borderline personality disorder (BPD) show a "instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image, and affects, and marked impulsivity beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts," and any five out of nine listed criteria must be present for the diagnosis to be made.
    ...And from the same article:
    Quote:
    Gunderson (2001) portrayed DSM-defined BPD as a diagnostic category layered between neurotic and psychotic disorders, and he differentiated BPD from Otto Kernberg, M.D.'s, theoretical concept of intrapsychic structure referred to as borderline personality organization, an umbrella concept that encompasses a number of Cluster A and Cluster B personality disorders that are characterized by the presence of primitive defenses and identity diffusion, yet with the maintenance of reality testing (Kernberg, 1975).
    What you were describing was borderline personality organization, which is something slightly different.

Again, you need to show 5 out of 9 criteria to be considered to have BPD. As for those nine critia, they are:

Traits involving emotions:
    Quite frequently people with BPD have a very hard time controlling their emotions. They may feel ruled by them. One researcher (Marsha Linehan) said, "People with BPD are like people with third degree burns over 90% of their bodies. Lacking emotional skin, they feel agony at the slightest touch or movement."

1. Shifts in mood lasting only a few hours.

2. Anger that is inappropriate, intense or uncontrollable.

Traits involving behavior:
    3. Self-destructive acts, such as self-mutilation or suicidal threats and gestures that happen more than once

4. Two potentially self-damaging impulsive behaviors. These could include alcohol and other drug abuse, compulsive spending, gambling, eating disorders, shoplifting, reckless driving, compulsive sexual behavior.

Traits involving identity
    5. Marked, persistent identity disturbance shown by uncertainty in at least two areas. These areas can include self-image, sexual orientation, career choice or other long-term goals, friendships, values. People with BPD may not feel like they know who they are, or what they think, or what their opinions are, or what religion they should be. Instead, they may try to be what they think other people want them to be. Someone with BPD said, "I have a hard time figuring out my personality. I tend to be whomever I'm with."

6. Chronic feelings of emptiness or boredom. Someone with BPD said, "I remember describing the feeling of having a deep hole in my stomach. An emptiness that I didn't know how to fill. My therapist told me that was from almost a "lack of a life". The more things you get into your life, the more relationships you get involved in, all of that fills that hole. As a borderline, I had no life. There were times when I couldn't stay in the same room with other people. It almost felt like what I think a panic attack would feel like."

Traits involving relationships
    7. Unstable, chaotic intense relationships characterized by splitting (see below).

8. Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment

Splitting: the self and others are viewed as "all good" or "all bad." Someone with BPD said, "One day I would think my doctor was the best and I loved her, but if she challenged me in any way I hated her. There was no middle ground as in like. In my world, people were either the best or the worst. I couldn't understand the concept of middle ground."
    Alternating clinging and distancing behaviors (I Hate You, Don't Leave Me). Sometimes you want to be close to someone. But when you get close it feels TOO close and you feel like you have to get some space. This happens often.
    Great difficulty trusting people and themselves. Early trust may have been shattered by people who were close to you.
    Sensitivity to criticism or rejection.
    Feeling of "needing" someone else to survive
    Heavy need for affection and reassurance
    Some people with BPD may have an unusually high degree of interpersonal sensitivity, insight and empathy

9. Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms

Just having one or the other will have you diagnosed with general anxiety disorder, or depression, or both (for example). NOT as having BPD. If you show at least 5 of those symptoms then you have more than just a few things wrong, it's now a personality disorder. There is something clearly wrong with your whole personality when more than a few of those symptoms show up, either because things happened to shape your personality into it, or because so many chemicals in the brain are out of whack that it's affecting a few major areas and showing up as a (treatable) personality flaw.

Old 08-29-2004, 11:12 PM   #7
    ChaosStar

ChaosStar HB User

P.S.: I'm currently in school for Psychology, and not one of my professors (all doctors in psychology, mind you) are at all skeptical of this true diagnosis. I'm working as a teacher's aid for one class and talking about BPD and my experiences with it in order to help the other students feel more comfortable with their own (or a friend or relative's) illnesses.

All psychiatrists and psychologists *acknowledge* it: It's in the DSM-IV.
    There may still be some debate over it, but if it's in the book, it's because they've done extensive research on it and is accepted by most professionals as it is listed. Granted, things may change in the future, but what doesn't anymore...?

Last edited by ChaosStar; 08-29-2004 at 11:19 PM.

Old 09-01-2004, 02:29 AM   #8
    burg
    (male)

burg HB User

Last edited by burg; 10-30-2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Removed due to personal reasons, do not wish to have post here

Old 09-03-2004, 04:46 PM   #9
    burg
    (male)

burg HB User

Last edited by burg; 10-30-2007 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Removed due to personal reasons, do not wish to have post here

Old 09-06-2004, 07:49 AM   #10
    Kime
    (female)

Kime HB User

Some individuals have an unusually large requirement for zinc which leads to hostility and anger unless they take supplements. Mood swings can be caused by hypoglycemia, in fact hypoglycemia can cause symptoms that you wouldn't expect. Candida overgrowth can cause some of the symptoms, too, it's amazing the strange sympoms candida can cause. Anyone with symptoms of BPD might want to check these things out just in case or with hypoglycemia and candida just cutting all sugar out of the diet for 5 or 6 days would be a good test but if you have them you would probably go through a kind of withdrawal period for the first few days where you crave sugar. Another possiblility is an allergy to something. The book "Brain Allergies" explains about the strange symptoms you can get with allergies, which is practically anything. Usually the symptoms go away or are lessened after 4 days of not being exposed to the allergen.

Old 09-25-2004, 11:06 AM   #11
    Yommy
    Inactive

Yommy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shorty04
    My doctor thinks I could have BPD since a lot of these symptoms describe me but since I'm only 16 I cannot be diagnosed because my personality could change. I don't think it will tho. [/COLOR]
    Why is this? I was diagnosed with BPD (as well as a couple other disorders) at 13. You can change your behavior, but not your personality. I'm not sure why your doc would say that, I'd have it looked into a little further....

Concerned,
    Hundtoft

Old 09-25-2004, 12:07 PM   #12
    penbat
    Inactive

penbat HB User

I dont think BPD is a proper Personality Disorder. It is more of a psychiatry injury.

Old 09-27-2004, 04:58 PM   #13
    lilChris87

lilChris87 HB User

omfg..........................thats what i have..............................and my parents tooo

Old 10-28-2004, 10:01 AM   #14
    PAmermaids
    Inactive

PAmermaids HB User
    Talking Re: What is Borderline personality Disorder?

Isn't it stange that people will look at this list of symtoms for borderline personality disorder, and think to themself, WOW that IS ME!! That is exactly how I was, because it's not that you have one or two of these symtoms, most people with BPD relate with ALL the symtoms, I know I do. BPD is definately real. I am so glad I heard about it, and know I am not the only one. People told me I was crazy when I was younger, and I felt like I was some kind of horrible person, I still read things about BPD that are from a negative point of view, I personally don't think it is fair. I have read once that people in relationships with BPD's should get out as soon as possible. I disagree with that to a point, If you do your research and understand BPD, you can get better, and you can be in a good relationship. I used to think medication can't help, but now I am not sure. I was on Zoloft a long time for depression, I stoped taking it a month ago cuz I was sick, and noticed I felt alot better, however, my temper got out of control, I mean I get mad at everthing, I am more irritable, I am yelling at my kids constantly and I hate it (I am acting like my mother who definately has BPD also, but is undiagnosed) I feel bad for my mom cuz I know she will never get help, she will keep having problems with relationships, she even does stupid stuff to me, but since I am her daughter, and also because I understand BPD I just blow off the bad and stupid crap she sometimes says(when my feelings start to feel hurt I just remember that she doesn't mean the stupid things she sometimes says or does) I know she does love me, her and my dad have been divorced 11 years, but he is the only man who could stand her more than 2 years, and trust me my dad is VERY patient, I know this because I have tested his patience many times, lol...since then my mom has had so many boyfriends leave her because of how she acts, plays games, sends mixed signals...so on..... so anyway my doctor is switching me to wellbutrin, this is one med I haven't tried before (I have been on many) I hope it helps, I really hate the fact I have been acting like a total biaatch, like severe PMSing for a couple weeks in a row, I am glad I can also recognize it, and my husband is no longer scared to tell it like it is either, he has been trying to quit smoking, he made me laugh the other day, he said "THERE IS JUST NO WAY I CAN QUIT SMOKING. ~pause~ IF I AM GOING TO STAY MARRIED TO YOU!!" of cousre he was half joking LOL. well sorry I am rambling. I wonder if anyone taking wellbutrin is doing well on that.. take care all

Old 11-08-2004, 10:39 AM   #15
    PeggyHarmon

PeggyHarmon HB User

wow I was totally engrossed in reading all of this. I've made a note to buy the book Brain Allergies. I'd been effexor and the Dr. took me off it. It was only 75 mg. dosgeage and I said ok. As the summer went by I realized I was very moody. I went back on them, intended to go back to the Dr. and remain on them. But I was having an allergic reaction so I took myself off. I am allergic to Wellburtrin so I thought I was becoming allergic to Effex. well this past week I felt totally unloved, unhappy in my relationship, unhappy at life in general. Sat. night we had to attend a function, so being really overly dressed I suggested we go out to eat. In minutes I heard, "where would you like to go" and I answered. I got "no" let's go here...and gave me 3 choices to eat at. I went off on a blastic rage. Crying, screaming, saying I wasn't loved and this relationship wasn't about me, it was all about them...I stormed out of the house saying I was going to a bar--which is totally unlike me. 5 mins. later I came back to the house knowing I'd be considered some tramp so to prove I was better than that, I wanted to be home, although I wanted to go out. I changed clothes as I had another screaming fit. Another hour and I was finally talked into going to a local cheap buffett place. I ate a baked potato and fumed. The next morning I woke up crying, stayed to myself and ranted later in the day nothing is for me, I get nothing, I am asked something and I say where I wanted to go, or what I wanted to do---and why bother asking, I get nothing anyway. I am a maid...I cook and clean 24/7...what a life I have. I snarled out a few rage of words that was cut throat, cruel, and unnecessary but I was out to win. Geez, sickening. I joked a few years back that I might be bipolar, but decided it might be borderline personality. I started my effex. today thinking I need to make a GYN appt to get my hormone levels checked. But I being a regular on this board stumbled in here. I'm just floored. Should I seek counseling or continue letting my Dr fill my Effex. Do I need increased. I was put on pain meds 1 month ago.. maybe its causing a counter reaction. Anyone got suggestions for me????

Closed Thread