It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• GERD/Asthma Connection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2004, 06:14 AM   #1
    Rhita_in_SC

Rhita_in_SC HB User
    Question GERD/Asthma Connection

Hi. I am new to this website and board. I am glad that I found it though.

Last summer I experienced reactive airway disease, pneumonia, etc. with what started out as a common cold. After four months of treatment I finally felt that I was well, although always tired.

Two weeks ago I contracted pneumonia again (right lower lung) and pleurisy in fluid around my left lung. I was out of state on vacation when I got sick quite rapidly. When I got back home I immediately went to my regular physician who says to me...do you realize that you have have had 10 lung infections since Jan. 1, 2004? Before the day was out I was sitting in front of a pulmonologist who "scoped" me and said that I have adult onset asthma due to my GERD....and that all the antibiotics in the world won't prevent my lung problems, and that we would have to agressively treat my GERD (which he also looked at) because my esophagus was in bad shape. He also said that based on my history, that it appeared the common cold virus was a trigger to my asthma.

He put me on protonix, and I am doing all the things that GERD sufferers need to change before they can get relief. I have only been on this new medicine for a week, although I had been taking prevacid for about 2 years for my GERD, with only minimal relief. When I go back in one month, he will be doing a PFT and other tests, saying that he knew I could not have done it on the day that I was in his office. I was already on an breathing machine for albuterol three times a day....and I was told to decrease to 2 times a day until I saw him again.

I have started working on my weight loss regime, purchased a pillow wedge, stopped eating past 7 p.m., stopped with caffeine, spicy foods, chocolate, fried foods, tomatoes, oranges, etc. and I have noticed that my heart palpations are decreasing as is the chest pain. I have increased my ester-c supplements. The only thing that I have not been able to do yet is start exercising...mainly because my lungs are still "weepy" and everytime I try to do anything I start with an asthma attack. He assured me that would go away once I got healthier.

Anyone know anything about this GERD/Asthma Connection?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2004, 05:30 AM   #2
    jerrie97
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jerrie97 HB User
    Re: GERD/Asthma Connection

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhita_in_SC
    Hi. I am new to this website and board. I am glad that I found it though.

Last summer I experienced reactive airway disease, pneumonia, etc. with what started out as a common cold. After four months of treatment I finally felt that I was well, although always tired.

Two weeks ago I contracted pneumonia again (right lower lung) and pleurisy in fluid around my left lung. I was out of state on vacation when I got sick quite rapidly. When I got back home I immediately went to my regular physician who says to me...do you realize that you have have had 10 lung infections since Jan. 1, 2004? Before the day was out I was sitting in front of a pulmonologist who "scoped" me and said that I have adult onset asthma due to my GERD....and that all the antibiotics in the world won't prevent my lung problems, and that we would have to agressively treat my GERD (which he also looked at) because my esophagus was in bad shape. He also said that based on my history, that it appeared the common cold virus was a trigger to my asthma.

He put me on protonix, and I am doing all the things that GERD sufferers need to change before they can get relief. I have only been on this new medicine for a week, although I had been taking prevacid for about 2 years for my GERD, with only minimal relief. When I go back in one month, he will be doing a PFT and other tests, saying that he knew I could not have done it on the day that I was in his office. I was already on an breathing machine for albuterol three times a day....and I was told to decrease to 2 times a day until I saw him again.

I have started working on my weight loss regime, purchased a pillow wedge, stopped eating past 7 p.m., stopped with caffeine, spicy foods, chocolate, fried foods, tomatoes, oranges, etc. and I have noticed that my heart palpations are decreasing as is the chest pain. I have increased my ester-c supplements. The only thing that I have not been able to do yet is start exercising...mainly because my lungs are still "weepy" and everytime I try to do anything I start with an asthma attack. He assured me that would go away once I got healthier.

Anyone know anything about this GERD/Asthma Connection?

Thanks.
    There have been a few theories behind GERD and asthma. Based on the fact that you've had pneumonia a few times, I think you may be aspirating stomach acid while you sleep. However, aspiration pneumonia is usually in one of the upper lobes.

Did the pulmonologist do biopsies during your bronch? That's really the only accurate way to determine whether or not it's GERD causing the asthma. Besides that, so many doctors are becoming "GERD-happy" and diagnosing GERD at the drop of a hat. GERD may very well be one of your asthma triggers, but I'm just saying..

Other theories are that asthma reliever medications may dilate the bronchi and the lower esophageal sphincter. I believe this can be prevented with the use of a spacer, however. Another is that asthmatic lungs are hyperinflated and press on the stomach, causing the stomach to shoot some acid up your esophagus (this one is very true, I can relate with it).

Adn congrats on taking steps to alleviate your GERD. A lot of people will acknowledge what the doctor says to prevent GERD, but will never do it.

Last edited by jerrie97; 07-02-2004 at 05:34 AM.

Old 08-04-2004, 05:59 PM   #3
    Blink3638

Blink3638 HB User

I also have this but mine came from Barrett's Disease a little different from GERD but its does (gerd) cause asthma and another thing is that smokers kill me with the smoke. My doctor put me on servant and still to this day it does bother me and especially the asthma.

Old 08-04-2004, 06:12 PM   #4
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Barretts symdrom is actually caused from long term untreated GERD! also Barrets is a dangerous syndrom as it can lead to esophageal cancer. Some people have GERD and do not have heartburn so they don't seek help, they walk around clearing their throat and coughing all the time thinking they are coming down with something when it really is the GERD, I know cuz I never had heartburn til the last few years but I always had to clear my throat and a cough, I do have mild asthma and times I've had breathing problems that turned out to be the GERD irritation, asthma inhaler didn't help but the preveced did after time. There is a weird connection the researchers are finding out.

Closed Thread