It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• anemia and gastric bypass

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-23-2004, 12:51 AM   #16
    wls4me

wls4me HB User
    Re: anemia and gastric bypass

I had wls in 2002. I was slightly anemic at that time so I started taking iron pills and B12 shots. It did not help. I became very anemic. My hemoglobin went down to 6.5 and I am now going to a nephrologist and he recommended that I take erythropoetin shots. I have only been taking it for 2 weeks now. I take it once a week. It seems to have help some but I am still hoping to feel even better.
    Even though I am very anemic now I don't regret wls surgery. It was still worth it!

Last edited by wls4me; 07-23-2004 at 12:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2004, 08:31 PM   #17
    ri-sm

ri-sm HB User

I had stomach surgery 24 years ago and it was similar to a gastric bypass. I had 2/3 of my stomach removed, the vagus nerve cut and the pyloric valve removed from a stomach ulcer. I have no intrinsic factor. For years I would have to go for blood transfusions. I have problems just eating because I don't absorb much or I have diarrhea. I have trouble with keeping my weight up also. I go about every 6 months for iron iv therapy and take monthly b12, which doesn't seem to help. I have panic attacks from the anemia. I have dealt with the side effects of the surgery for years and I just get tired of being so tired and anemic. I have pernicious anemia and autoimmune hemotylic anemia. I was told I would just have to do the iv therapy for the rest of my life. The doctor has added vitamins and minerals to the iv's that really seemed to help more than the iron. I had extremely bad migraines. I read that low manganese can cause them, so after he added that, the headaches have almost completely gone.
    In December I got iron, but had to go back because of low ferritin, in January. I went July 26 for more iron. The doctor doubled the dose and I got a call day before yesterday to go back for another double dose. I don't understand why it doesn't bring up the ferritin level!
    Is there anyone dealing with something similar? I would like to hear from you. I feel like there isn't much hope out there for us.

Old 08-05-2004, 10:09 PM   #18
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    Autoimmune hemolytic anemia!

Hope? God is still in the miracle working business. Find a church that believes in God's healing miracles and ask for prayer!

But first, we have to get an accurate diagnosis, and learn the root cause of this harm.

These things you mention:

stomach ulcer... (This could have started from a rash in your stomach from exposure to a chemical such as 2-butoxyethanol? I know of a worker exposed to this chemical who had a rash in his stomach and he WAS exposed to 2-butoxyethanol which causes skin rashes both internally and externally; now, 15 years later he has 'cracks' in his colon - this is VERY SERIOUS!)

have no intrinsic factor... For years I would have to go for blood transfusions. I have problems just eating because I don't absorb much or I have diarrhea. (How is your pancreas? One of the GLANDS disrupted by a chemical that is known also as a poison, a solvent, and a pesticide. The digestive juices are part of what the pancreas does ... not just insulin. Do you have any abnormal blood sugar? ... either high or low?)

I have trouble with keeping my weight up also. (LIVER?)

panic attacks (CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM DAMAGE?)

I have pernicious anemia (Eating liver is supposed to help this - more than anything)

and autoimmune hemotylic anemia (THIS IS KEY HARM FOR THOSE EXPOSED TO 2-BUTOXYETHANOL) BUT YOU WOULD ALSO HAVE TO HAVE THE WRONG RATIO OF MATURE TO IMMATURE RED BLOOD CELLS. Do you? The 'retic ratio' will give an indication of this,and this test has most likely been part of what brought about this diagnosis. If the immune system is out of whack and prematurely destroying your own red blood cells, this is the ‘autoimmune’ and the cause of FATIGUE! Also note that when you have too many immature red blood cells there are a lot of other tests that give a false reading: white blood cell count which must be done manually, not by a computer ... the liver reading will be off, etc. Do a search on yahoo for hemolytic anemia and note these tests

extremely bad migraines! YES, LIKE Hot POKERS, these headaches send you to your knees, right? I heard them described by the 'Gulf War Syndrome' vets of 1990-1991 gulf war AND by the Exxon Valdez oil spill cleanup workers who are KNOWN to be exposed to 2-butoxyethanol (ethylene glycol monobutyl ether)

low ferritin? Too many Immature red blood cells are the cause of your fatigue - which you've only briefly mentioned. You do have major fatigue, don't you? What were you dong 24 years ago when this all started?

don't understand why a double dose of iron doesn't bring up the ferritin level? Are you still being exposed to this chemical, 2-butoxyethanol? Do you remember a time when your eyes burned and hurt, your urine turned dark, and you had flu-like symptoms and this HORRIBLE FATIGUE?!!!

PS I think people in this group (& they are legion) also have concerns with autoimmune pancreas and autoimmune hepatitis from this same chemical's exposure. Maybe not ALWAYS a concern, but often. How are your kidneys? Your liver? The information on 2-butoxyethanol says that people should have regular checks for kidney and liver function.

I am hoping to do a study that gives doctors more data on this. If so, would you be willing to share your information to help others ... ?

Last edited by Dear Maggie; 08-07-2004 at 05:00 AM.

Old 08-10-2004, 03:19 PM   #19
    ri-sm

ri-sm HB User

Maggie, I don't know what I was doing before the ulcer blocked my stomach, but it perforated into the pancreas and I had emergency surgery. I spent 6 weeks in the hospital and 2 stomach surgeries. I don't remember being around any chemicals because I did not work at the time.
    I do have problems with sugar and dairy products. I have hypoglycemia so I stay away from sugars and dairy products.
    My kidneys are fine! (knock on wood) I have had part of my intestines removed, my appendix, and a hysterectomy. As my daughter says "mom is just a shell." My 31 year old daughter has been diagnosed with Crohn's, but I haven't. Wonder if there is a connection?
    Thanks for the new insight.

Old 08-10-2004, 10:13 PM   #20
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    Thank you for sharing

Thank you for sharing!

As to exposure to this 2-butoxyethanol it is in lots of things. And you can get it 2nd hand by being around someone who is strongly exposed and exhaling it in their breath.

I have a friend who only diligently cleaned her house the past 30 years, and a lot of the time she used Lysol Tub 'n Tile. This has 2-2-butoxyethanol and it has its own registered pesticide number with EPA. Not safe at 6% concentration. (Oven cleaner also has this complex variety of ethylene glycol monobutyl ether: 30-40% depending on the brand.)

My friend has been diagnosed with low red blood cell anemia and is being given procrit shots. She has not had chemo-therapy for this to be the cause. She also has high blood sugar; high blood pressure; severe joint pain and kidney disease. I said, "Dear, Friend, are you also a lot grouchier than you used to be?" Well, of course she wouldn't know, but her family would.

The harm from this chemical should never happen to anyone.

Now, since it is a pesticide, the glandular systems are disrupted. The blood pressure could be high or low. The blood sugar could be high or low. The need for a hysterectomy? Yes, this is sometimes the case with these. For a man, prostate cancer is commonplace. Note what happens to those in the painting business. My husband had an exposure to paint last year when he was painting a bathroom one afternoon. He complained that his eyes were burning and hurting; after a full night's sleep, he remarked, Oh, I am SO tired! I can tell you also that he has been a whole lot more irritable and hard to get along with since this happened, too. Maybe I'll get him to the doctor for a check up one of these days ... but I'm not holding my breath.

Eyes burning and hurting, flu-like symptoms, dark urine and fatigue are a frequent happening with too much exposure to this chemical. Do you remember such a time? I also recommend that people carry chemical goggles with them when they go on a long air plane ride. The same air is circulated over and over. I would also pay attention to the signs your body gives of too much of some kind of chemical exposure ... when sitting next to a stranger for a long period of time... on a plane or a bus ...

What is Crohn's???

Last edited by Dear Maggie; 08-10-2004 at 10:17 PM.

Old 08-10-2004, 11:00 PM   #21
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

I have pernicous anemia also, I had a gstric virus that destroyed my intrinsic factor so I have had to give myself shots every week for the last 7yrs. My hubby gives them in the arm and then I do the thighs to give my arms a break. at least I don't have iron poor blood also.

Old 08-11-2004, 11:31 AM   #22
    ri-sm

ri-sm HB User

Crohn's is an intestinal disorder that causes diahrrea and the wall of the intestines have small ulcer like lesions. The stool is full of mucus and sometimes blood. She had to take stweroids for a long time but is in remission right now after she completely quit diary products.
    I have used Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner for years and the Tub and Tile cleaner. The doctors just try to treat me for the symptoms of whatever is wrong and that is it. I have a hard time understanding how the stomach surgeries and intestinal surgery has to do with the blood and everything else going on. They have never said the Auto-Immune Hemolytic Anemia was caused by the surgeries.

Thanks again

Old 08-11-2004, 03:25 PM   #23
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    The cleaners alone are enough to cause this harm

Yes,

this situation that your daughter has is also something that this chemical can cause ... and the cleaners you mention have too much 2-butoxyethanol. Look for Lysol Tub 'n Tile MSDS with a search engine and see what you find.

It damages the skin and causes rashes internally and externally. It also kills fat cells (defats the skin).

Your daughter could be affected on her own &/or from your exposures (or her dad's) to 2-butoxyethanol before she was conceived. This chemical has been harming people since before world war II.

Have her check the 'retic' ratio. I don't believe you can be harmed from this chemical and not have too many immature red blood cells.

I believe the blood damage is just one aspect of this chemical's harm.

See what happened to the 'gulf war syndrome' vets or what those with CFS and CFIDS share about their health (Looks the same to me)

PS

What did her dad do for employment?

I also believe that an occupational hazard for auto mechanics is exposure to this chemical. I believe it is strong in brake fluid, it is partly made up of anti-freeze; it may be in CLP and other cleaners and degreasers ... and things that they spray to break rusty bolts loose.

Children of those exposed to this chemical are also more at risk for leukemias and brain tumors. Do you think the doctors will make this connection? Not likely, but the CDC has started tracking the frequency of brain tumors since 1977.

Margaret

Last edited by Dear Maggie; 08-11-2004 at 03:32 PM.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:02 PM   #24
    barbifrma

barbifrma HB User

Wow, I thought I was the only one in the world who had gastric bypass surgery and acute anemia! I think the doctors downplay this complication by saying you MAY have to take iron supplements. Heloooo, if we are not absorbing naturally occurring iron because of our digestive configuration, how the heck are we going to absorb the supplements??
    I found out a year later that although my anemia readings weren't bad, it was the ferritin (stores) that are affected. A lot of doctors don't know this. So I got a referral to a hematologist and he said I needed an immediate iron infusion because my stores were almost empty! So, since 1999 (I had the bypass in 1998) until last year, I had to get an infusion every three months. I had heavy periods, and the doctor said I would need infusions at least every three months due to my blood loss, until menopause anyway.
    My solution was to stop my periods (I'm 43) for now by using Depo-Provera. This really helped, and although I still have to be tested every three months, I'm now averaging infusions about every six months.
    Goes to show, WLS doctors continually play down the important stuff. Oh, and I also take B-12 injections monthly.
    Just my two cents...

Old 04-18-2005, 10:52 AM   #25
    pugdesign
    (female)

pugdesign HB User

I had a reux-in-Y 2 years ago and developed anemia, even though I took iron supplements. A nutritionist told me that I wasn't metabolizing the iron because I wasn't getting enough protein. I upped the protein and in no time had back my energy, my hair started getting fuller and stronger, everything. It's hard to get enough protein, you really have to pay attention anad work at it.

Old 04-20-2005, 05:22 PM   #26
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

I am responding to the over all question about how the intrinsic factor effects the blood counts. The intrinsic factor allows the body to process b-12 which tells the body to take the iron and store it in the liver for future use if the diet becomes low in iron or needs more iron for some reason. Some times the body locks the stored iron up and it can not be used by the body. It is there and just can not be used. Other times, the body misses a signal and the iron is flushed out of the body with other wastes. When we are over weight because we over eat, we take in enough usable iron to get us by day by day. When resort to the gastric by pass or have to lose part of our stomach and intestines then we no longer take in enough dietary iron or we can not absorb what we take in for using to process oxygen and blood cells.
    Now although I do believe there are environmental dangers out there ready to do major damage, I do not believe that every one who gets fatigue or has dietary deficiencies are being posioned by household products unless they are mixing them together and shooting them up in the form of crank. Then they are merely asking for trouble. I have seen the blood values of heavy duty illegal drug users and their blood counts are higher and stronger than mine and I do not use any drugs. By the way, I have gone through menopause, and now my hemoglobin is rising and staying put and my ferritin is now in normal range and I do not use iron supplements nor do I have to have IV injections or infusions. My body has learned to utilize what I get and is not dumping it anymore. The body is capable of being taught to function or adapt.

Old 04-20-2005, 10:00 PM   #27
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

B12 deficiency is rather different from Iron deficiency and is treated differently.
    Pernicious anemia is caused by a lack of intrinsic factor, a substance needed to absorb vitamin B12 from the gastrointestinal tract. Vitamin B12, in turn, is necessary for the formation of red blood cells. Anemia is a condition where red blood cells are not providing adequate oxygen to body tissues. There are many types and causes of anemia. Absence of intrinsic factor itself is the most common cause of vitamin B12 deficiency. Intrinsic factor is produced by cells within the stomach. In adults, the inability to make intrinsic factor can be the result of chronic gastritis or the result of surgery to remove the stomach. The onset of the disease is slow and may span decades. Vitamin B12 injections are the definitive treatment to correct the vitamin B12 deficiency, as it bypasses the stomach and goes directly into the tissues. This therapy corrects the anemia and may correct the neurological complications if given soon enough. Since about 1% of vitamin B12 is absorbed (even in the absence of intrinsic factor), some doctors recommend that patients with gastric atrophy take oral vitamin B12 supplements in addition to monthly injections.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #28
    betterwithiron
    (female)

betterwithiron HB User

Within the first week of my 1st iron infusion, I have gained about 7 pounds. I don't see that my diet has changed much from before the iron, and after. Also, my stomach area is bigger...feeling bloated (or similar feeling).

Did anyone else notice weight gain, and or bloating, after infusions, and if so, did it last long, or did it even out?

Thanks.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #29
    MJ78
    (female)

MJ78 HB User

I am so pleased to find this thread. I had open RNY in June 2001. I have been suffering from low B12 since 2003 and was put on monthly B12 injections. In 2006, I started having vertigo and passed out at work. That was my first diagnosis of iron deficient anemia. I was sent to a hematologist and put on 10 weeks of IV iron. Then last August my Vitamin D came up low and I started having severe arm and leg pain. They said it's nerve damage (peripheral neuropathy) from the micronutrient deficiencies and put me on anti-convulsants to control the pain. The pain just comes back every 8 weeks or so and they have to increase the meds. The latest round of bloodwork shows that, despite regular supplementation with Ferrous Gluconate plus Vit. C, my Ferritin level dropped from an 8 in August to a 4 last week and my B12 is at 324 (low normal) despite WEEKLY B12 shots for the past few months. The D is up, at least...

I'd love to hear tips from those of you who have been there. This pain I'm in is horrible. I'm only 29 and had no idea that I would be in for this world of torture when the doctor spent those 90 seconds explaining the vitamins I wouldn't be absorbing after surgery. He said, "Just take a multivitamin and some Tums and you'll be fine." Never even mentioned iron...

Closed Thread