It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• 5 years post cervical CA

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2004, 05:35 AM   #31
    lbp35
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lbp35 HB User
    Re: 5 years post cervical CA

Cheryl,

Great to hear from you! I will continue to keep you in my prayers! Tell your mom to keep her chin up! My friend said the treatment was awful but once he hit the half way mark he was like "I can do this and I will get through it"!!! And she will too! Tell her if it gets too bad to ask for pain med. My friend didn't want to take anything but his throat got so raw and sore he had to and it helped! Keep us posted! Have faith & God bless!
    PS She is so lucky to have you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2004, 03:40 AM   #32
    Missfit58

Missfit58 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lbp35
    Cheryl,

Great to hear from you! I will continue to keep you in my prayers! Tell your mom to keep her chin up! My friend said the treatment was awful but once he hit the half way mark he was like "I can do this and I will get through it"!!! And she will too! Tell her if it gets too bad to ask for pain med. My friend didn't want to take anything but his throat got so raw and sore he had to and it helped! Keep us posted! Have faith & God bless!
    PS She is so lucky to have you!
    Hello,
    I wanted to write and tell you my mom is very ill. Its a long story. we had her at the emergacy room fri and they sent her home with a UTI.Well over the weekend it did not get better.I went to take her for her radation doc on call told me to still take her. WShe couldnt get hersef dressed.when they seen her they checked her oiut her vitals were really. i believe then they knew and she also was dehydrated.she was like a rag doll.and skin color of green.They admitted her. shes still there. she has a small bowel obst. she cannot eat a thing. she has a tube in her nose to drain out the infection from her stomach.they are checking her for c-diff.yesterday when my sister seen her she just stares at the wall no tv her phone off where you cant talk to her.can you please help me what do you think shes trying to do. so sick or is she wanting to give up or so sick and drepressed.. i will keep you posted.please pray for her.
    cheryl

Old 08-06-2004, 01:06 PM   #33
    alexandraB
    (female)

alexandraB HB User

Dear Hurriedh,
    I have a question regarding your first post to this thread. First of all, i hope you are doing well and wish you all the best. you mentioned that your pap 7mths prior to your adenocarcinoma diagnosis was normal. This is sort of the same thing i am worried about right now. I had a LEEP in march done due to cin III, and now my first follow up pap came back abnormal. my doc did a colp + biop 3 days ago, but i do not have results yet. i have trouble understanding how the dysplasia could have come back to fast. did your doc explain how your normal pap could have become cancer so fast? also, i would like more info on adenocarcinoma. when my leep showed High grade SIL with glandular involvement, are those precancerous changes that could lead to adenocarcinoma, or the other more common kind of cervical cancer? i am just so confused, i am 22 and just did not expect to deal with any of these things now, well i guess no one ever does...any info is greatly appreciated!! thank you!

Old 08-06-2004, 04:19 PM   #34
    hurriedh

hurriedh HB User

Hi AlexandraB,

I am sorry to hear that you are so young and going through this. The good news is that it is still precancerous. Most precancerous conditions do not progress to cancer. Yes, if there is glandular involvement then it looks like it may lead to adenocarcinoma. Adenocarcinoma tends to be more aggressive. I was also pregnant when I was diagnosed. I had a normal pap right before I got pregnant and pregnancy hormones tend to help the abnormal cells grow faster. This is a great site to get information. Sometimes dysplasia seems to come back quickly but the sample may have missed dyplasia the first time so this may have been there all the time and not come back as quickly as you thought. Also, the glandular cells are a little more difficult to sample. Also, people who get dysplasia repeatedly may have a poorly functioning immune system. Their immune systems can not fight off the virus. Eat well, sleep well and try to keep your stress level low. All easier said than done in today's world. Take care and post to let us know how this recent biopsy came back.

Last edited by hurriedh; 08-06-2004 at 04:20 PM.

Old 08-06-2004, 05:57 PM   #35
    alexandraB
    (female)

alexandraB HB User

thanks for you reply hurriedh! my doc hasnt told me anything about the dif between the 2 types of cervical cancer...i am going to switch, i feel like she doesnt answer questions well...a few more questions, sorry! so are these types of precancer "high grade dysplasia with glandular involvement" supposed to be treated the same way as just regular high grade dysplasia? i hear that a hysterechtomy is very effectve in preventing reccurence of high grade dysplasia? do u know if this is also true when the glandular cells are involved? is there any particular procedure/test i should have in order to sample these glandular dysplasias so i make sure i dont let it progress to cancer? thank you so much!

Old 08-07-2004, 05:02 PM   #36
    hurriedh

hurriedh HB User

You usually do not have a hysterectomy until you have cancer. People who are past child bearing age may have a hyst after repeated recurrences. A hyst presents a whole lot of problems especially to someone who is too young to be going through menopause. There are a variety of different treatments for dysplasia and the doctor will have to decide. If you have high grade dysplasia you may want to get the opinion of a gyn-onc. I don't know if there is a test to see at this point if it is heading to adenocarcinoma. I don't know if it would matter where treatment is concerned either. I do know that people with dysplasia can have a freezing treatment done, a burning treatment done, a leep and these treatments are done repeatedly if there is a recurrence. Even if it progresses to cancer and a hyst is done it can recur although this does not happen often. I am dealing with the recurrence right now trying to keep it from becoming cancer again. A gyn-onc would advise you. I hope you get through this quickly. Take care of yourself.

Old 08-07-2004, 07:31 PM   #37
    alexandraB
    (female)

alexandraB HB User

Dear Hurriedh, thanks again for your answers! you have been very helpful! Good luck with treating your reccurence, i wish you all the best. God bless!

Old 08-08-2004, 06:15 PM   #38
    lbp35
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lbp35 HB User

Cheryl, Sorry I haven't written. I went on a little very needed vacation. I am sorry about your mom. Just be there for her and let her know how much you love her! I will continue to pray for her. Look up to the Lord he will help you to be strong! We are thinking of you and are here to listen! God bless you Cheryl, and stay positive! I know it is very hard sometimes but you have it in you!

Old 08-09-2004, 07:48 AM   #39
    Lilyenne

Lilyenne HB User

Alexandra,

Please ask your doctor about the glandular involvement with CINIII. I had the same thing and was under the impression that the CINIII glandular involvement is different than adenocarcinoma. I'm not sure if it is because of where the cells are located or because they are different secretory cells. I know that adenocarcinoma tends to be more agressive than dysplasia in squamous cells. You still have an 80% chance of being cured with a LEEP (although one thing that CINIII with glandular involvement has been linked to is a higher reoccurance of the dysplasia).

Old 08-09-2004, 08:24 AM   #40
    alexandraB
    (female)

alexandraB HB User

Dear Lilyenne,
    Thank you for your post! First of all, I hope you are doing well. I would be interested in finding out more about your situation, since it was so similar to mine, if you do not mind. Did you have a LEEP or other procedures done to take care of the cin 3 with glandular involvement? did you have to have several because it was persistent? I had a LEEP done in march to remove high grade dysplasia. I just had my first follow up pap + colposcopy, and it showed still high grade dysplasia, so i will have to have a second procedure. The doctor suggests cone biopsy instead of a second LEEP. I knew there would be a chance of recurrence, but i was quite shocked that it reccurred this soon, only a few months later! Thanks in advance,
    Alexandra

Old 08-09-2004, 03:02 PM   #41
    Lilyenne

Lilyenne HB User

I had a LEEP cone in Feb. for the CINIII. The cone showed that there was actually CIS present (although I've read that CINIII and CIS are pretty hard to tell apart). My LEEP came back with clear margins. She did what is called a "top hat" procedure. So she did two sweeps of my cervix. The first piece was larger and took off about .5 cm of my cervix. For the second sweep, she took a smaller piece out of the opening to get a little deeper into my canal. Although I had clear margins, the first piece did have dysplasia that almost went to the edge of where she took out the second piece. The second piece, the "top" of the top hat, was completely normal.

I had my first follow-up pap on June 23. My pap came back completely normal and my HPV test came back negative. I read somewhere that an HPV test with a pap was as diagnostic as a colposcopy (with my history, my doctor thinks that maybe a pap was a false negative). From what I've read, you probably do not have a new reoccurance of dysplasia it is much more likely that they didn't get it all the first time. It isn't all that uncommon for women to need more than one procedure so try to stay positive. Because sometimes the dysplasia isn't all excised, most "reoccurances" are within the first two years.

Since my diagnosis (which was extremly scary as I went from completely normal paps to a CIN I pap, CINII colposcopy, and CIS LEEP in 11 months) I've been doing a lot of reading. I've stopped taking hormonal birth control, started taking a multivitamin, a folic acid supplement, a vitamin E supplement, a vitamin A supplement and indole-3-carbinol (can be found at health food stores). I also use a condom almost everytime I have sex (even though I'm completely monogamous). I've also stopped all caffeine and cut back dramatically on alcohol. Who knows if it made a difference. All of the studies suggesting that the supplements help seem to go both directions but I figured it couldn't hurt. I'm not usually one to go the homeopathic route but I didn't have anything to lose. I don't have any children but would like to have some in the future so I'm trying to do everything I can to lick this without a hysterectomy.

I'm not sure if you stated your age, but I read somewhere that CINIII in younger women (under 30) tends to be less of a problem. I unfortunately do not fall in that category (I'm 32). I'm also kind of a strange case because the last time I could have been exposed to HPV would have been in 1995 (been with hubby for 9 years). The only thing I can think of why it showed up now is because the last year has been extremely stressful. I graduated from law school, took two bar exams, moved (away from my husband until he can get a job here), bought a house, started a new job, and my husband had to go through two serious surgeries last year.

I really wish you luck with getting this taken care of. If your doctor believes that a cone will be curative, I'm sure she knows what she's talking about. I'd be more than happy to try and answer any other questions or if you just need someone to listen, I know what you're going through.

Old 08-09-2004, 09:23 PM   #42
    alexandraB
    (female)

alexandraB HB User

Dear Lilyenne,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply! it seems we went through the exact same progression of the dysplasia, and almost in the same months too! i too was very shocked that i went from a low grade SIL pap to cin III...as far as my age, i am only 22, so therefore i also want to take care of this without a hysterechtomy if possible so that i can have children. Hopefully that will be relatively soon, as my fiancee and i plan to get married next year. I know what you mean about the stress, i am just now starting graduate school for my masters, i moved a few months ago...lots of big changes will do that to you, and it is definitely possible stress can activate the HPV. my doctor told me it can stay dormant for years before manifesting itself.

i have also done a lot of research, sat hours on the internet, and found almost the same recommendations as you, as far as diet, lifestyle, vitamins etc...i agree 100% that even if it is not proven to work, it is well worth to follow a holistic approach along with regular treatement. making changes to lead a healthier lifestyle will make the body stronger in order to fight disease. in addition to what you listed, i have also read that cutting back on animal fats and eating a diet rich in vegetables (kind of obvious) are important. also, smoking has been directly linked to cervical cancer. also, a health book i have recommends eating raw almonds and garlic to fight all cancers in general. i have started eating mostly organic foods.

I have not yet heard back from my doc with the results, but i will update when i do. I wish you all the best with your follow ups and hope everything works out for you! let me know how you are doing, and i also will be here if you need someone to talk to! Thanks again,
    Take care, Alexandra

Closed Thread