It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• ATTN: Retin a micro users

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2004, 10:29 PM   #1
    MSUstudent
    (female)

MSUstudent HB User
    ATTN: Retin a micro users

Hi I just wanted to know if those who have used retin a micro could tell me what their cycle was like. When did you experience peeling, when/if did you experience an initial breakout, when did you begin to see a big improvement in the overall condition of your skin? ...that kind of stuff
    Thank you so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 01:13 PM   #2
    shutterlag

shutterlag HB User
    Re: ATTN: Retin a micro users

ok, i'm not the best person to answer your question since i've only been on retin-a micro for a week and a few days... but nevertheless, i can tell you about how it's been so far. i have very sensitive, dry skin and mild-moderate acne (its very stubborn though).
    anyways, what i've been doing is applying a pea-sized dose of retin-a micro .04 on my face at night after cleansing with neutrogena fresh foaming cleanser (its mild). in the mornings i wash my face with the cleanser and put neutrogena daily defense spf 30 moisturizer on.
    my skin has tolerated it fine, it actually has helped with the redness. already (!) some of my red marks from past acne are lessening. my skin is really dry though. your skin will probably peel at first and you might get sunburned... when you're first starting out i would try to avoid being in the sun for a long time since its impossible to tell whether your skin will get burned or not. WEAR SUNSCREEN, wear spf 30 when you start using it. no initital breakout yet, i've only gotten 1 zit since i started using it (however im taking an antibiotic too). the breakout usually starts at week 2 because its beginning to purge your pores.... it takes 6-8 weeks to work.
    so, basically, i'm really suprised at how well my skin is adjusting to the retin-a micro and i just have to hang in there. i hope this helped some and good luck!

Old 09-08-2004, 01:33 PM   #3
    Kymberlee
    Veteran
    (female)

Kymberlee HB User

Hi! I've been on the Retin-a cream 0.1% since end of May. My skin is very tough! I've had very little peeling and no major side effects. My Doc wants me to start using the Retin-a Micro because it's supposed to help mop up the oil. I have TONS of oil & grease on my face. I have to wait till we get some more $$$ before I can get the Retin-a Micro. Anyway, I really like what the Retin-a has done to my face. I broke out after about the first week or two on it. But HANG in there with that! I think it's worth it! I can see a difference with using it and I plan to stay on it. It's also good to prevent wrinkles, so for me,that's a plus!

Old 09-08-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
    MSUstudent
    (female)

MSUstudent HB User

I have been on it for two weeks and just started my third week on tuesday (yesterday). I peeled really bad the first week. Chunks of skin were coming off. Now the peeling has subsided. I find that my pimples heal more quickly. I do still have a lot of little bumps but I really didn't expect them to go away in just 2 weeks. I am also on .04%. Well keep me updated on your progress! I asked those questions because I wanted to see how others did on it compared to me. Thanks for replying!

Old 09-08-2004, 03:17 PM   #5
    Fury23

Fury23 HB User

When I first used retin a I was a teenager and I did expereince an initial breakout, but it went away after about a month. The second time I tried retin-a micro, I was in my early twenties (still am) and it absolutely destroyed my skin. I stuck with it because everyone says there is an initial breakout, but after a few months I quit and it was then that my skin started clearing up. I know it's not for everyone, but for me, acne products give me acne. My skin is very clear when I don't put anything on it. If you are going to use retin-a remember, a little goes a long way, the stuff is really potent, so use as little as possible. If you cake this stuff on, or use more for spot treatment, your skin will actually get worse. Hope this helps.

Old 09-08-2004, 03:41 PM   #6
    alltaken
    (female)

alltaken HB User

I've been using Retin-A Micro, Doxycycline, and Brevoxyle since the beginning of July this year. So I've been on it for alittle over 2 months now.

I got my 'big breakout' after one month of using it. That lasted for about a week long or so. After that it slowly got better. Don't expect results right away. If you're a patient person, that's great, because you need to have that on your side.

Like I said I've been on it now for over 2 months. I'm just now seeing results. My face still has the discoloration from the pimple spots, (scars is what I thought they were, but they're not), but they're getting smaller. I do have one breakout that is finally healing, I've had that one for almost the whole 2 months. My acne was the cystic kind and I got those mainly on my cheeks.

Another thing, I've had 2 chemical peels done as well. The 1st one in July and the 2nd one in August, about 5 weeks apart. Those are suppose to help as well.

I can't believe my face is finally clearing up. I'm 30 years old and I've had this problem since I was around 15 years old I think. My skin is VERY oily. I have to wash it all the time throughout the day because its bad. Its so oily that you can see little tiny beads of it on my forehead, nice huh? Yuck!

I've been keeping track on my calendar of how I'm doing. I put a plus sign on days I'm improving. I put a minus sign on days it looked bad. And I put a *** on days where it stayed the same. Trust me, you'll be using all 3 signs alot. You'll start to improve, then you'll have a breakout, it might be slight or it might be alittle more than that. You'll have your good days and your bad days, and days that seems to not be either or. I know after my first chem. peel I had a breakout.

It sucks, but you know the saying....its gotta get worse before it gets better. You just have to stick it out and keep at it, don't miss a day of it. And have patience!

Old 09-13-2004, 08:15 AM   #7
    beautyskindeep
    Inactive

beautyskindeep HB User

Interesting alltaken, you said pimple spots not scars....what's the difference?
    Because it would seem like a harse word (scars) for the little brown spots on my face, but I thought that was the term. So which one is more difficult to remove, I would assume scars, huh.

Old 09-13-2004, 11:12 AM   #8
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alltaken
    I've been using Retin-A Micro, Doxycycline, and Brevoxyle since the beginning of July this year. So I've been on it for alittle over 2 months now.

I got my 'big breakout' after one month of using it. That lasted for about a week long or so. After that it slowly got better. Don't expect results right away. If you're a patient person, that's great, because you need to have that on your side.

Like I said I've been on it now for over 2 months. I'm just now seeing results. My face still has the discoloration from the pimple spots, (scars is what I thought they were, but they're not), but they're getting smaller. I do have one breakout that is finally healing, I've had that one for almost the whole 2 months. My acne was the cystic kind and I got those mainly on my cheeks.

Another thing, I've had 2 chemical peels done as well. The 1st one in July and the 2nd one in August, about 5 weeks apart. Those are suppose to help as well.

I can't believe my face is finally clearing up. I'm 30 years old and I've had this problem since I was around 15 years old I think. My skin is VERY oily. I have to wash it all the time throughout the day because its bad. Its so oily that you can see little tiny beads of it on my forehead, nice huh? Yuck!

I've been keeping track on my calendar of how I'm doing. I put a plus sign on days I'm improving. I put a minus sign on days it looked bad. And I put a *** on days where it stayed the same. Trust me, you'll be using all 3 signs alot. You'll start to improve, then you'll have a breakout, it might be slight or it might be alittle more than that. You'll have your good days and your bad days, and days that seems to not be either or. I know after my first chem. peel I had a breakout.

It sucks, but you know the saying....its gotta get worse before it gets better. You just have to stick it out and keep at it, don't miss a day of it. And have patience!

it's funny- i've been using retin-a and doxy for a little over two months and i've also been keeping track of my progress. I feel like such a dork- i made a little chart with graph paper and everyday I either go up one square, down, or stay the same. overall, my face has very very very slowly gotten better.

btw, i don't have oily skin so i'm not sure how accurate this advice is, but i've heard that washing your face excessively will only make your face produce more oil.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:10 AM   #9
    shawngt2

shawngt2 HB User

I've been using Retin-A Micro for about 4 months now and I now have clear skin. I get the very odd one (one every two weeks or so) vs. the 2 every like 2 days I did before. I suffered the initial breakout for the first two months and then nothing but inprovement from there. You have to be steady in it's use. It's the product that worked for me and I will never stop again. It has also made my skin appear and feel so much healthier.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:16 PM   #10
    alltaken
    (female)

alltaken HB User

beauty...
    Before I went and got treatment, I had thought my acne was scarring my face. Because even after the pimple went away (after waiting forever), it was still brown in the spot where I had gotten it, and it stayed there for a long time. My derm. told me that those will go away too.

peachy...
    I know what you mean about being such a dork to record your progress It's funny because I told my Derm. that I was doing that and she told me that she wished more people did that. I'm such a dork, because doing that isn't out of the ordinary for me, haha. I'm still doing it
    I had to wash my face (and still have to, not as often though) because you could actually see my face shine from the oil, and not only that, I couldn't stand feeling it on my face, it had to come off. I didn't want to have it sit on my face for any length of time to clog more pores and bring me more pimples.

Everything I'm taking and doing I will never stop. I'm on my way to clearer skin and there's no way in hell-o I'm going back to the feeling of not being able to face people because of such an insecurity.

Old 09-15-2004, 06:26 AM   #11
    beautyskindeep
    Inactive

beautyskindeep HB User

Alltaken, I know exactly what you mean, but I can't wait for the day when i can say
    "Man that was a rough time for me, so glad it's over." But I want to actually come out of this looking like I never had this terrible break out. That's why it's a little upsetting to here all those horror stories about people clearing up but not finding a way to vanish the after math(scars). It's hard to believe that celebrities or people with plenty of money in general, never have had acne, yet I look at them and their skin is flawless. What is their secret? I always thought it was facials and peels helped even complexion and get the skin looking new again......
    Someone help me understand. I know different things work for different people.
    Sorry this is so long, but I hate to get this far and not beable to achieve 100% satisfaction.

Closed Thread