It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Hydrocodone Addiction - Need some help...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2004, 07:34 PM   #16
    boaz

boaz HB User
    Re: Hydrocodone Addiction - Need some help...

Jeff hope your doing o.k.? I am doing good actually I am now at 3 7.5's a day I had worked out a timed schedule and take them at that time only and maybe later each time like Phil said...but I've just been reducing. I finally started feeling better yesterday. and today I got out and pulled weeds and tried to clean around the pool and in it....all I did all year was lay in bed...it was bad to spend all that money and still get depressed so bad I didn't want to do anything so I decided to quit...tried CT for one day...next day couldn't take it so I started tapering...I went from all time high of 16 10's a day at worst mostly 12 10's a day..down to this, and I know at the first of the month I had some ten's and just ate them like tic tacs....and they still were'nt doing me like they used to...i had gotten so down that they didn't help so I said enough...pulled my head out my a** and got the reins of my run away wagon...so to speak.....I hope to cut back more and more and for long be off totally....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2004, 08:05 PM   #17
    jeffhurtinaz
    (male)

jeffhurtinaz HB User

Boaz,

Good to hear - sounds like you're doing real well... And the tapering seems to be going well .. If you can keep that going , you should be in a good place real soon.... I don't have a plan set in stone yet - but I am going to conquer it soon.. I haven't felt this way about it all ever before -- I've never wanted to quit like this ... I've always just been "fine" doing them - so I feel a big change already ... It's a matter of trying to make it as painless as possible, although I know it's not possible... I almost feel that I deserve some of the discomfort that comes along with the WD's....

I can't wait to feel so good, just being drug free - and not having to worry about all this ****... Soon enough , soon enough...

Currenty = 4 to 6 7.5's/325 , plus 2 5's/500....

Old 08-23-2004, 09:32 PM   #18
    lilaculpepper

lilaculpepper HB User

Didn't the originator of this thread say they had a girlfriend who is in the dark?

I am coming up on day 8 with no Lortab due to running out and let me say - my fiance has been a lifesaver. I can talk openly and freely with him about the withdrawals and how my brain is operating while going through them. He listens attentively (a rare male characteristic that first attracted me to him ) and offers a shoulder to cry on and a kind word.

In the past I've had boyfriends who have dumped me after going through some bad times so I have a deep-rooted paranoia that I will also lose him while going through this stupid and petty pill addiction. It's only through joking and making light of the whole situation that I realize I have a friend and mate who's here to stay.
    Relationships are about honesty and communication and they are the most important factors, I think, when going through something like this. Tell your girl. It's MUCH easier when you're not alone.

Old 08-27-2004, 10:25 AM   #19
    jeepbrie

jeepbrie HB User

Any help or words of wisdom woud be great......''

Thanks

Old 09-13-2004, 03:03 PM   #20
    jeffhurtinaz
    (male)

jeffhurtinaz HB User

Hey everybody.. well it's been almost a month since i last posted on this thread.

I'd love to hear from some of the people who initially responded (Bo, RyansD, etc)

I need help - and support.

I need to know if it's more advised to quit CT (As I have for the past 24 hours and feeling great let me tell you!), or use the 5/500's I have , taper at about 2 to 3 a day for 3 to 4 weeks?

The taper thing to me is bull - It's almost like, you've come this far , even though it's ONE day... it's ONE day closer. Why put yourself back at ZERO by taking them again ........

I really need help everyone - This can't go on - too many important people in my life, I can't mess things up any longer.... This is very difficult and emotionally draining.

Please respond

also - even though I've read them over and over again , please advise on W/D hints to "TRY" to make it more comfortable. i have 5mg valium from the Dr. for sleeping at night.... i'm looking for other help during the daytime.....

-Jeff

Old 09-14-2004, 10:03 AM   #21
    jeffhurtinaz
    (male)

jeffhurtinaz HB User

Anyone around?

Today is DAY 2 for me....Refill should be here anytime, and I'm throwing them in the dumpster.

Any and all replies are welcome - I'm home from work today so...
    Whenever you guys reply it helps me more and more... Just to know there's other folks out there going through the same thing, etc.

-Jeff-

Old 09-14-2004, 11:21 AM   #22
    octomon

octomon HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Hydrocodone Addiction - Need some help...

Jeff,
    There is some good news and bad news for you. The good news is that yes you're right, it could be much much worse, and you're smart to have the presence of mind to get started on kicking this now.

The other 'good' news, depending on how you look at it, is that you most definitely need professional help kicking this addiction. Very few, and I mean VERY few people can stay clean by themselves, even when they have made it past the first couple of weeks of the worst withdrawal symptoms. The reason I say 'good news', is that with a counselor you can get to the bottom of why you want/need this drug in your life, and tackle those psychological issues which are the reasons you began using in the first place, and the most likely reason you would start using again. You will be a better, happier person through counseling, and learn much about yourself in the process - this is why I say it's good news for you.

I don't want to forget to mention attending AA or NA meetings - also a potent tool for living drug-free, though I think it depends on the person and finding the right meeting that best suits you.

Speaking of odd - it's amazing to me that with over 20 posts and 1000 views of this thread, NOBODY here had yet recommended Jeff seek longer term professional psychological advice from a drug/addiction therapist...this is so crucial to getting and staying drug-free.

Be HONEST with yourself - You have already tried this on your own and it didn't work, right? You have nothing to lose by seeking professional help. You may be able to do this on your own, but your recovery is so important, for you mostly but also for those precious people in your life. You want to give yourself the best possible odds.

Lastly, regarding the suboxone..as great as it is for very serious addicts [Just meaning folks taking 2-3 times what you were, such as myself], consider this a last resort, and only after discussing it with your counselor and doing your own research. It's a wonderful tool for helping us to learn to live without the daily 'buzz', but ultimately you will have another addiction to overcome and taper from. This part is non-negotiable - it WILL be a struggle to then get suboxone out of your life.

Oh right...the bad news. We all have to suffer the punishment of physical withdrawal symptoms. There are many good tips on the board for helping with these, but ultimately [As you have experienced] you're just going to feel like crap for a while.

Good luck Jeff. Keep on posting!

Last edited by octomon; 09-14-2004 at 11:31 AM.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:28 AM   #23
    octomon

octomon HB User

One more thing....congratulations on day 2!

Don't throw your meds in the dumpster - flush them down the toilet. You don't want to find yourself tomorrow inside the dumpster covered in old pizza and dog crap fishing for pills!

Old 09-14-2004, 02:48 PM   #24
    jeffhurtinaz
    (male)

jeffhurtinaz HB User

Octomon

Thx so much the the reply.. I really really apreciate it , and it's helping me like you wouldn't believe get through everything.
    I received my refill early this afternoon, and promptly went to a garbage dumpster and threw EVERY PILL away... Don't worry, I won't be crawling in the dumpster looking for anything. It hasn't felt this good in a long time to do something so RIGHT. I feel great about it - and it wasn't even difficult for me to do.

I have 5mg Valium from my DOC to help me sleep at night. I plan on just using it for another few days, then hopefully I'll be fine to go to bed on my own. I'm just trying as hard as I can to keep myself busy. Your mind goes in so many directions during W/D's. It's just no fun AT ALL.

I know many would disagree, but I just cannot include my family and significant other in on this. They were aware of the run in I had with this drug a year and a half ago - and it was a very very distressing time for all of us. I don't want to put them through that again. I'm just hoping that the major W/D symptoms can subside sooner than later, and I will just put this all behind me....

Good suggestion by the way - I hadn't thought too much about professional help. I don't know how I'd work that in. I just don't know. I'm not closed to that idea though...

Please everyone, continue to reply and post... It is really helping me out a lot.

Old 09-15-2004, 07:49 AM   #25
    jeffhurtinaz
    (male)

jeffhurtinaz HB User

Hey everyone!

Today is DAY 3.
    Just waking up - may go back to bed , I'm not sure.
    Just wanted to check in... I'll be home today, in and out I'm sure.

Check in with me, I'd love to hear from you guys....

Old 09-15-2004, 02:22 PM   #26
    Vanguard
    (male)

Vanguard HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffhurtinaz
    Hey everyone!

Today is DAY 3.
    Just waking up - may go back to bed , I'm not sure.
    Just wanted to check in... I'll be home today, in and out I'm sure.

Check in with me, I'd love to hear from you guys....

I was the same way. I want to sleep more than remaining active. I know that it is not easy feeling crappy all the time (the nausea, vomiting, runs etc).

Old 09-16-2004, 06:44 AM   #27
    jeffhurtinaz
    (male)

jeffhurtinaz HB User

Thx for writing Vanguard...
    Hey everybody.

Today is DAY 4... I feel good enough to be at work , so here I am.
    The sleep is very important , and thank god I've actually been getting a good amount of it. Although, I found yesterday to be a good day because I kept myself busy all day. I find myself getting more depressed , etc just sitting around the house all day... It was good to get out, be around people - it helps a lot....

I'm drinking a lot of water (I usually do anyways) , went to exercise a bit, and went into our Steam Room... all these things help a bit. Nothing will cure W/d symptoms, but you can calm them down a little with these various methods.

I'm feeling better - and hopefully it just keeps getting better. It's really an awesome feeling to know I'm not wasting away my money, to know I'm not hiding anything from the ones I love... It's just nice... You guys should try it out.. These boards are very supportive... When you're going through that hell of W/D , just stick with it... You have to remember, it's a short lived process, you do get better, just stick with it! It's worth it! You are SAVING your life!

Write back people - would be great to hear from you all...

-Jeff-

Old 09-16-2004, 06:13 PM   #28
    Wilkey

Wilkey HB User

Jeff,
    Congratulations on Day 4! You have probably made it through the worst of the physical WD's at this point. I think on Day 6 I started to feel half-way normal again.
    I am on closing in on a month, and am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel...
    I just wanted to let you know that I'm proud of you.
    Hang in there, it only gets better from here.
    I'll be looking for your posts,
    Wilkey

Old 09-17-2004, 02:59 PM   #29
    jeffhurtinaz
    (male)

jeffhurtinaz HB User

Hey everyone ...

Thx for writing Wilkey...

Things are doing good... Today would be DAY 5! I feel real good... Depression hasn't really been TOO bad.. I am keeping myself busy - and that's important. I am lucky to have lots of great people around me, and that helps. I still feel awful that no one knows what my situation was , and what I was going through. I don't care to put them through the distress. I just want to move on. I feel differently now than I ever have about this situation. I feel that I've matured severely over the past 5 days.

I will keep checking in - It's really great to hear from everyone.

Old 12-28-2004, 12:44 PM   #30
    jimpmcsh78
    (male)

jimpmcsh78 HB User

Hi everyone! i was reading this forum and i have afew questions for anyone out there. Here is my situation. Had tonsillectomy on the dec 8th, started bleeding again 8 days later so had them recauterized...so up until yesterday was on oxy and hydrocodone for 20 days .. i think in all i took (20) 20 mg Oxycontins; (2) 350mg bottles of oxycodone liqid; and (3) 350 bottles of lortab (hydrocodone). mmm what fun a little history on me i have been a pretty big partier (durgs, alcohol) since high school and threw college .. untill recently i only socially drink.

What i took:
    -8th: My 1st sugery (1) lortab hydrocodone
    -9th:called and got stronger prescription for pain (1) roxicet(sp?) oxycodone
    -10th started bleeding a litte saw on call doc and he prescribed (20) 20 mg oxycontin.
    *** at this point in feeling good *** not a thought of the pain to come last night***

-15th rushed to emergency room do to bleeding (was coming out like a faucet) i seriously thought i was going to die... never knew you could lose that much blood! without needing a transfer. (nurses at hospital gave me morphine for a few times and a few pills of hydrocodone for the pain)
    -Hospital give me prescription for 2nd bottle of lortab.
    -by this time ive finished all of that pain med dished out above.

-20th see doc and says throat looks better satay home for 5 more days... gives me prescription for lortab again with refill.

-Not working as well as oxycodone so i get prescription again from doctor for 2nd bottle of roxicet oxycodone.

-upon running out above i use a previous refill from first sugery. and drink that up untill 1 dose yesterday morning.

So at this point yesterday morning (20) 20MG oxycontin, (2) bottles of oxycodone, (3) lortab hydrocodone. a few pills and morphine at the doctors.

I started to kinda feel some withdrawl when i ran out of the oxycodone around 22nd. and actually this morning ive come to realize that (being the first day with nothing) i am having some serious withdrawl symptoms ... last night i even took a sleeping pill and didn't sleep at all.

The good thing is that i haven't smoked in about a month now but now im pretty addicted to this codone.

My question is this how long should i expect withdrawl given the amout i took in 20 days.

Also i have gone through nic withdrawls in past (previous attempts at quitting smoking) that were pretty horrible... is this going to be worse?

Lastly, when i was younger my father had an addiction to this stuff had to go into a 30 day treatment program (granted he was using for longer time) should i be able to CT this.

Oh and by the way that last prescription with refill for the lortab i ripped up and threw out yesterday as well.

Last edited by jimpmcsh78; 12-28-2004 at 12:44 PM.

Closed Thread