It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• Worried about WBC? help understanding

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2004, 01:50 PM   #1
    anxiousme
    Veteran
    (female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User
    Worried about WBC? help understanding

I've had several elevated WBC over the last 8 months and a couple taken with the manual differentials. The highest was 19K. I was told that it is a sign of infection not to worry. Docs keep saying it is infection however, my only symtoms are headaches and slight fever (99.5). Docs put me on antibiotics and said your fine. Two weeks later, I went to the docs with severe arm pain they took another CBC and my WBC was 13.5K, not as elevated but still higher than normal right after antibiotics. One week later, fever and headaches are back. Another visit to the docs, WBC with differential was 17.5K, on the rise again. The differentials have shown left shift with the neutrophils much higher than lymphocytes. No Bands. Can someone explain what that means? Is a WBC of 19K indicative of leukemia?
    My symptoms- headaches, slight fever on/off, nausea on/off, bone pain arm and back, tachycardia, and had an enlarged thymus gland removed 8/03.
    Any information would be of great help.

Last edited by anxiousme; 09-22-2004 at 01:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2004, 11:04 PM   #2
    Livestrong

Livestrong HB User
    Re: Worried about WBC? help understanding

What you explain right now really does seem like an infection. A high level of neutrophills is often an indication of infection. If you have an elevated neutrophill count and a low lymphocyte count it's almost always is an indication of an active infection. All those symptoms could be attributed to an infection but they are also similar to many leukemia symptoms, which is one reason the disease is often misdiagnosed. Do you have a loss of energy and appetite? But like I said before from it sounds more like an infection to me. That just my opinion…

Old 10-12-2004, 06:24 PM   #3
    giant

giant HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Worried about WBC? help understanding

Did you ever think about checking for Lyme Disease? Sounds like it is a possibility the way you described it.

Giant

Old 11-15-2004, 02:47 PM   #4
    hr80

hr80 HB User

Those WBC counts , while higher than "normal" are not nes. indicative of leukemia. My sister was diagnosed at 168,000 WBC...and we have seen some patients with as high at 300,00 and 400,000. Keep on your doctor and don't be afraid to get a second opinion!!

Old 11-16-2004, 07:35 AM   #5
    anxiousme
    Veteran
    (female)

Thank you for the replies. I appreciate you sharing your counts with me. I've been looking on the web for information on what constitutes a high white blood count level. I'm going to continue to follow up with my doctors.

Old 11-29-2004, 03:22 AM   #6
    jade1348
    (female)

jade1348 HB User

I went to the hospital because of pain in my back and feeling sick to my stomach. The pain sometimes woke me up at night and I felt really sick to my stomach.
    They gave me a cat scan of my chest and stomach and found an enlarged thymus gland. What could cause this? I have diabetes, and high blood pressure. The Doctor told me not to worry and to go back for another cat in 3 months. Can the thymus gland decrease in size or is this the start of something more. I am very scared, and I still have the pain in my back. Could someone please get back to me. This is the first time I have ever used a message board [ removed ]Thank you.
    Scared to death
    Jade

Last edited by moderator2; 11-29-2004 at 06:04 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 11-29-2004, 09:22 PM   #7
    Livestrong

Livestrong HB User

Anxiousme,
    At diagnosis my daughters WBC was well over 400,000...the highest the hospital had ever seen in a child diagnosed with her type of leukemia (AML) at that age (6 months).

Old 12-01-2004, 10:36 AM   #8
    anxiousme
    Veteran
    (female)

**********- Thank you for the info. God Bless your little one. May she have a healthy happy life ahead of her.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:39 PM   #9
    Livestrong

Livestrong HB User

You're very welcome anxiousme and thank you too. If you have any other questions I'll try and help...best of luck to you.

Closed Thread