It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• PSA.. "Reference Range Has Been Adjusted for Age" ????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2004, 04:40 PM   #1
    laurie_lu
    Inactive

laurie_lu HB User
    Question PSA.. "Reference Range Has Been Adjusted for Age" ????

My husband who is 39 is having a prostate biopsy at the end of the week. He does have a history of prostatitis with urethral stricture which was treated a few years back and also included a biopsy which was benign. This time around there is another painful mass on his prostate that the doc says is 3 times larger than the benign mass he had a few years back. It causes him pain to have a bowel movement or sit in the crane he operates which produces alot of bouncing and vibrations.

This time he had a PSA done which was 1.970. Next to this value it says his results are high. Below is a statement that states "Reference range has been adjusted for age" There is also a different reference range next to this statement which says 0.000-1.400 ng/mL N

According to this adjusted for age reference range, he is slightly elevated but I have never heard of this different range. I am really worried more so this time around because a few years back with previous prostatitis his PSA was normal and this new reference range for age was not done before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
    Soulcatcher
    Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
    Re: PSA.. "Reference Range Has Been Adjusted for Age" ????

My husband is a Radiation Therapist and says " Yes, they are going to do that because normally men do not recieve their first PSA or prostate exam until the age of 40. Yes there is reason to be slightly concerned however, with today's external radiation and internal radio active seed inplantation the probablity of cure if it is cancer is extremely high. There is a possiblity they may suggest a prostatectomy however, that is on a drastic end of the treatment scale.
    There is a treatment modality of "triple therapy" which includes hormonal therapy along with external and internal radiation. A PSA of 1.9 is not extreme and some physicians will take a weight and see attitude, doing PSA's at 3 to 6 month intervals sometimes even longer to see if in fact the PSA elevates or remains the same but at age 39 unless their is a familiar history of prostate cancer the liklihood of it being cancerous are pretty low. Hope this help"....

Old 09-26-2004, 05:23 PM   #3
    laurie_lu
    Inactive

laurie_lu HB User

Thanks for the information Soulcatcher This waiting is the worse part.

Old 09-26-2004, 10:38 PM   #4
    positive4u
    Veteran

positive4u HB User

Laurie-Yes the waiting is the worst part. I must beg to differ, however, with Soulcatcher on prostatectomy being on the drastic end of the treatment scale. This is not surprising coming from a radiation therapist (her husband) because they tend to promote radiation treatment. I had a prostatectomy at age 46, PSA is undetectable for 2 years and functioning is almost normal. My urologists & radiation oncologist did not recommend radiation at my young age. Your husband is even younger. The long term effects-20 to 30 years- are still not known about radiation & that was what my doctors were concerned about. As I have said in previous posts, I believe since all prostate tissue is gone, the likelihood of returning prostate cancer is zero. I could not say that with radiation. I have absolutely NO problem with urination which is a blessing in itself!
    Positive4U
    P.S. I had no family history of prostate cancer.

Last edited by positive4u; 09-26-2004 at 10:41 PM.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:41 AM   #5
    laurie_lu
    Inactive

laurie_lu HB User

Up to finding this board I was a worried about the upcoming diagnosis but due to his younger age I felt somewhat at ease. But seeing so many guys as young as my husband with prostate cancer on this board is scaring the hell out of me.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:26 PM   #6
    positive4u
    Veteran

positive4u HB User

Slow down Laurie. You do not yet know if it's cancer do you? The younger the man,the easier he usually bounces back & is able to withstand more aggressive treatments. Medicine has come a long way. Let us know what you find out.
    Positive4U

Closed Thread