It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Can too much exfoliating cause acne?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2004, 11:05 PM   #1
    UT_mom
    Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User
    Can too much exfoliating cause acne?

Hi,
    I was just wondering if excessive exfoliation could contribute to break outs? I have been exfoliating with the apricot St. Ives stuff every other day and then using that Loreal microdermabrasion kit (strong exfoliant) 2 days a week. I never use both products on the same day. I have noticed a huge reduction in blackheads overall and improved skin appearance but I'm having a real problem on my chin and above my lips. I'm wondering if this could be temporary because I'm "unearthing" a lot of yuck or if my exfoliation could be a bit much for this particular part of my face. Have any of you had this kind of experience before? My skin is quite oily in my T-zone and pretty normal to oily everywhere else. Thanks for any help you can give me!
    Sincerely,
    Shawnee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2004, 03:37 AM   #2
    chicken1

chicken1 HB User
    Re: Can too much exfoliating cause acne?

i find that if i use anything other than my hands to exfoliate when my skin is dry and flaky, i break out...everytime i use a washcloth- clean, never been used- with soap, i get a pimple later that day...so yes, i do think it can cause zits

Old 10-01-2004, 06:43 AM   #3
    mandersBC
    (female)

mandersBC HB User

That sounds like a lot of exfoliation to me...I think you might be better off just doing the microdermabrasion kit on it's own for a while. Especially if you have some trouble spots already, you will only aggravate them further with that much exfoliation. Your skin needs time to "rest" in between exfoliating products. Your skin may be so stressed out in those certain areas that it is working over-time to produce oil in order to keep it's surface hydrated. But in the end, you are just getting new pimples.

When I was younger, I went crazy with a Buf-Puf sponge and broke out terribly! The zits didn't heal for weeks.

Old 10-01-2004, 07:08 AM   #4
    carole820

carole820 HB User

The St. Ives apricot scrub is pretty harsh, I think. I heard that when you exfoliate with anything that scratchy that you actually make tiny abrasions all over your face that are prone to infection. I like using those "daily facial" cloths - especially the olay one that is formulated for acne prone skin.

Old 10-01-2004, 07:21 AM   #5
    jojo64
    Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

Also keep in mind that if you are using a scrub or washcloth while you have a current breakout you are transfering the bacteria from the breakout to other areas of your face and that can also spread acne. For active breakouts you must cleanse very gently.

Closed Thread