It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• ATP III Guidelines say I do not need Statins.......but.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2004, 11:28 AM   #31
    ty123
    Inactive

ty123 HB User
    Re: ATP III Guidelines say I do not need Statins.......but.....

"Let me guess, are you a member of PETA also?"

No ,they're wackos. I believe medical authority, and you believe a dead diet guru. Game over.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2004, 11:44 AM   #32
    heart44
    Inactive

heart44 HB User
    Wink Re: ATP III Guidelines say I do not need Statins.......but.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by arkie6
    But does that type of diet really improve CAD risk markers and is there scientific evidence to support that? Not so according to this fully referenced article in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 80, No. 3, 550-559, September 2004:

And everything inbetween....

"...It was recently pointed out that reducing the proportion of energy from fat below 30% is not supported by experimental evidence and that advice to decrease total fat intake has failed to have any effect on the prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease (125)."
    Arkie,
    Just wanted to let you know that I appreciated the article very much.
    When we deprive our bodies of fats and cholesterol, our body takes over to produce what our body, especially the brain, needs.... which is quite evident with some of the posts.
    Frankie

Old 10-07-2004, 02:07 PM   #33
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by heart44
    Arkie,
    When we deprive our bodies of fats and cholesterol, our body takes over to produce what our body, especially the brain, needs.... which is quite evident with some of the posts.
    Frankie
    Here we go again

So you think many of us (on Statins) aren't getting enough CHOLESTEROL?

Optimal low-density lipoprotein is 50 to 70 mg/dl: lower is better and physiologically normal.
    O'Keefe JH Jr, Cordain L, Harris WH, Moe RM, Vogel R.

"Mid America Heart Institute, Cardiovascular Consultants, Kansas City, The normal low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol range is 50 to 70 mg/dl for native hunter-gatherers, healthy human neonates, free-living primates, and other wild mammals (all of whom do not develop atherosclerosis). Randomized trial data suggest atherosclerosis progression and coronary heart disease events are minimized when LDL is lowered to <70 mg/dl. No major safety concerns have surfaced in studies that lowered LDL to this range of 50 to 70 mg/dl. The current guidelines setting the target LDL at 100 to 115 mg/dl may lead to substantial undertreatment in high-risk individuals."

(BTW, an LDL of 50-70 would translate to a TOTAL LESS THAN 150)

Old 10-07-2004, 02:50 PM   #34
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Oh please. Here we go again with that 50-70 LDL propaganda.

Old 10-07-2004, 03:07 PM   #35
    ty123
    Inactive

ty123 HB User

"When we deprive our bodies of fats and cholesterol, our body takes over to produce what our body"

LOL!!! One only needs to look at the fatsos in your local supermarkets and shopping malls to see that NOBODY is depriving themselves of fat.

Old 10-07-2004, 03:31 PM   #36
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
    Oh please. Here we go again with that 50-70 LDL propaganda.
    LOL...I knew my rant would drive some of you nuts ...OK...OK. No more of that Article from now on.

BTW..I've been at a Total of 140 (LDL 54) for a month now and I feel *MAHVALAS* baby!

Last edited by rahod; 10-07-2004 at 03:32 PM.

Old 10-07-2004, 04:44 PM   #37
    hunter44
    Inactive

hunter44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rahod
    LOL...I knew my rant would drive some of you nuts ...OK...OK. No more of that Article from now on.

BTW..I've been at a Total of 140 (LDL 54) for a month now and I feel *MAHVALAS* baby!
    Rahod - you seem to be doing so well and eating a good diet. Have you ever thought of getting off the statins for like six months and then getting a true test?

Old 10-07-2004, 05:27 PM   #38
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

ty123,

Fat doesn't make people fat. It's the excess carbohydrates and all the other junk that people have been eating for the past 30 years, ever since the AMA began telling people that this was the right way to eat. And what do we have to show for it? Obesity and diabetes have practically reached epidemic proportions in this country, to say nothing of the implications it also has on heart disease. We have children, young children who are type II diabetics! That was unheard of not too long ago. I have never seen so many sick people as I do today. And I'm not talking about older people. I'm talking about young people. People shun wholesome natural foods, and talk about eggs as though they are poison. But they gladly pig out on bagels and sugary breakfast cereals, and think it's perfectly alright because they're low-fat. And besides, the AMA tells them it's okay. If that's not stupid, then I don't know what is.

Old 10-07-2004, 08:20 PM   #39
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hunter44
    Rahod - you seem to be doing so well and eating a good diet. Have you ever thought of getting off the statins for like six months and then getting a true test?
    Been there done that. I was eating pretty damn good (not perfect ) and exercising daily. Still had Total 250/LDL 155. I'm a happy camper now ..no side effects with Crestor/Zetia and down 60% in LDL and 45% Total . Just my personal account.

Last edited by rahod; 10-07-2004 at 08:25 PM.

Closed Thread