It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• What's causing the Numbness?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2004, 07:06 PM   #1
    e_re

e_re HB User
    Question What's causing This? PLEASE Help!

I'm 25 years old and several months ago I started feeling a slight achy, tingle in my lower legs particularly during inactivity and in my hands (very little in the hands). Then in the last 6 weeks or so my fingers would bet numb with simple little things like holding the steering whell, writing for a few minutes, etc. and really anything that involved my arm being at an angle. Particularly my pinky and ring finger and a "line" of tingle/numbness through my arm to the shoulder. The frequency and intensity has excelerated quited rapidly and the numbness and pain can last for hours or all day. Nothing I do can rid myself of it. My legs have increasing too, but it doesn;t seem to be at the same rate. Aside from haveing that achy and tinlgy feeling my legs (mainly knee down) also feel warm, like if you put one of those vibrating massgers on them, but not the same intensity, if any of that is relevent.

At first I thought it was my circulation, so I tried movement, massage and position changes with no change whatsoever. Just in case it's related, I've been diagnosed with arthritus in my jaw and the discs are deteriorating. I saw my GP who scheduled various blood tests(not sure what) and MRI's of my brain and the surrounding spinal area, all of which turned up neagative. Next week I see the nuerologists who he said would probobley do some type of nerve test. Does any of this sound Familiar to anyone? What kind of questions should I ask the nuerologist? This is pretty foriegn territory for me and I'd really appreciate any advice you can offer. Thank you and take good care of yourselves.

Last edited by e_re; 10-10-2004 at 02:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2004, 10:44 AM   #2
    aaronon
    (female)

aaronon HB User
    Re: What's causing the Numbness?

e_re,

I have the same thing in both legs and both arms. If my arm is slightly angled, watching TV, typing on computer, driving, working, writing etc...my arm goes numb from the elbows down. If I sit in church with my legs crossed, they both go numb. I pretty sure I have some discs that are bulging in my back. As for the arms, carpal tunnel...for sure...could be nerve damage from the 4 wrecks I was in during my teen years (only 1 was my own stupid fault). It gets very old quickly, but, its one of the burdens we have to bear, because I don't think that nerve damage can be repaired once its gone past a certain point.

Old 10-14-2004, 06:15 PM   #3
    e_re

e_re HB User

Thank you, that actually gives me a lot to go on. My nuerologists said something like that too. I go back next week for a c-spine to check those discs and the nerve test. Good luck with your own endevour and I hope you fimd some relief.
    Eric

Old 10-15-2004, 07:46 PM   #4
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Eric
    I have some of the same problems as you. Only my hands go numb, not the entire arm. I did have a nerve test called an, EMG and they didn't find any nerve damage with the one arm. I do have cervical injury's that are probably causing the numbness in my hands, as well as arthritis in my shoulder's and tendonitis in rotator cuffs.
    I also had the EMG of both legs and they found nerve damage to both legs. I had also started a thread but nobody has replied to it yet. My neuro surgeon has referred me to a neurologist. He stated that the doctor will order more testing from my report and see if their can be any surgery that would benefit me. I also believe the longer that you have the damage the more likely it will be permanent. A lot of the time doctor's prescribe instead of ordering the correct tests to find the cause of the pain. This is what happened to me. I have been on Topamax for my nerve pain for over a year now, before I could persuade my doctor to order the EMG's.

One thing to keep in mind when having any testing is to always get copy's of your reports. You are entitled to these reports. They will come in handy if you want a second opinion. Also they sure are great to have when it comes to research. If you do have any MRI's or Cat Scans, etc., you also should get copy's of these films. As for what to ask your neurologist, that's a tough one for me. I can only prepare myself for my appointments once I have a report in my hand and have done my homework. Basically I just listen to what they tell me my test results were and then on my next visit they sure do listen to me...lol Good Luck at your appointment next week.
    Jeanne

Lumbar MRI 1/20/04
    Impression:
    Encasement of the thecal sac at L4-5 level by enchancing soft tissue, consistent with epidural fibrosis.
    Displacement of the left S1 nerve root, epidural fibrosis.
    Lumbar Myelogram 2/26/04
    Impression:
    L4-5 non-specific soft tissue is noted in the dorsal & ventral epidural space.
    L5-S1, there is non-specific soft tissue noted in the ventral epidural space slightly displacing the dural sac posteriorly.
    EMG 9/13/04
    Distal Peroneal Neuropathy Bilaterally
    Bilateral L4-L5 Radiculopathy
    ~CERVICAL~
    Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
    Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
    C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated Discs
    C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.

Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis, Diabetes,
    Anemia, Asthma, Acid Reflux, Migraine's

Old 10-15-2004, 08:02 PM   #5
    e_re

e_re HB User

Thanks Jeanne, it seems that the discs are becoming more suspect after reading some more posts. I went to the neurologists yesterday and he said he's not sure yet. I'm scheduled for the nerve test next week and a c-spine the following week to look at those discs. He also said my throid could be to blame, I don't know. But my Dr didn't get my chart to him in time for the appt so he had only the info I could offer to go off of, it was pretty much a worthless appt expect for prelim Q & A and the pin tests and such. It's kind of scary and alarming b/c of the rate of progression, I get numb/tingly quicker and longer each day it seems! Hopefully these next few weeks will yield more answers than questions When I get some info I'll be sure to pass it along in a new thread, hopefully someone can get some good info that relates and helps them, take care

Closed Thread