It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Did anyone watch DR. Phil on ADHD?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-29-2004, 04:47 AM   #1
    Jessesmom

Jessesmom HB User
    Question Did anyone watch DR. Phil on ADHD?

DId anyone watch the show yesterday...I was just wondering if anyone has had an EEG done one their child to see the brain waves and if it is available in canada? He also speaks of eating certain foods has anyone tried this instead of the drugs? My son is now 8 and has been on pills for 2 1/2 years now and I would like to know if I could take him off the pils as he is almost the same weight as his 5 year old sister!!!
    Any comments...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2004, 08:36 AM   #2
    animalluvr77
    (female)

animalluvr77 HB User
    Re: Did anyone watch DR. Phil on ADHD?

I saw the show yesterday also! I don't have any children, but I was diagnosed with ADD and now I'm wondering how they could diagnose me without doing all of those things he was talking about. I never even knew I should see a neuroseugeon. I just asumed that my phsychiatrist could diagnose me. I am very new to all of this. She has put me on Adderall XR and by tomorrow I'll be all the way up to 40 mg. Did he say if they only need to do those tests on children or if they can be done on adults also? I am also seeing that I have been losing weight since I have been on the Adderall! What is your son on? I haven't tried the different kinds of food. I never even thought that I would have had ADD until recently when they started coming out with the Strattera commercials and they sounded like me. And I talked to my Mom about when I was growing up and my grades in school and she said they started to just go down hill after 7th grade. I remember that. I could never concentrate and I still can't, that is until the Adderall. And all of the other symtoms of ADD. (fidgiting, not paying attention, no organizational skills, etc.) Any help would be of great use. Thanks for reading.

Thanks,
    Beth

Old 09-29-2004, 09:52 AM   #3
    Jessesmom

Jessesmom HB User

Thanks for writting. My son is on concerta and is doing o.k jsut not gaining any weight..I also wounder why noone ever mentioned these test on my son..We have a new pedeatriton(other one moved away)and we have an app.in novemer I am woundering do I waite till then and ask about it or call and ask for her advice on what to do?
    I am pretty sure I have ADD as well as all the symptoms my son has I had in school and I am pretty disorganized in my life but I am able to controll it "I think" I tried to get the Dr.Frank Lawlis book this afternoon but they did not have it at the book store I went to so I will keep trying. I am willing to try anything for my son...

Old 09-29-2004, 10:35 AM   #4
    animalluvr77
    (female)

animalluvr77 HB User

I think considering you are dealing with a child, I just might ask for some of those tests that they were talking about yesterday on the show, if you are worried about him being on meds. Maybe try the diets, the different diciplining etc. The book may help you out as well. Hopefully you have insurance to help you out?! It sounds like this could get very expensive! Like I said before, I would have never thought of getting a neuroseugeon!! You may just want to look into that on your own also!! Without your pediatricain knowing. That way he/she won't be offened and you can get a diagnosis from both doctors and compare the difference. I don't know just an idea. Hope everything works out for you!

Beth

Last edited by animalluvr77; 09-29-2004 at 10:36 AM.

Old 09-29-2004, 03:04 PM   #5
    Jessesmom

Jessesmom HB User

HI yeah that sounds good I may try that I was talking with my neighbour who's son is a year older and also adhd and was telling her she said they most likely don't do those tests here..... we only live in a small area.
    I will let you know~

Old 09-29-2004, 03:12 PM   #6
    animalluvr77
    (female)

animalluvr77 HB User

Sounds good! Keep me updated!!

Beth

Old 09-29-2004, 07:44 PM   #7
    carrielynn
    Veteran
    (female)

carrielynn HB User

i Beth,

I didn't see the Dr. Phil show, so I can't comment specifically on that. But my son (who has high anxiety) is doing EEG feedback (also known as neurofeedback) and it's working very well with him. You don't have to see a neurosurgeon, just a neurofeedback therapist. [ removed ] (As with any professional, it's best to see someone with a lot of experience and good credentials.)

And to answer your other question, yes, adults can benefit greatly from EEG feedback. I was told I would be on medications for the rest of my life because of my anxiety, but I've been doing neurofeedback with fabulous results -- and no medication! I'm a big fan of this therapy.

--CarrieLynn

Last edited by moderator2; 09-29-2004 at 08:11 PM. Reason: do not post any kind of information to find commercial websites

Old 09-29-2004, 08:10 PM   #8
    animalluvr77
    (female)

animalluvr77 HB User

Hi CarrieLynn,

Thanks for the info. no one has said they did anything like that. All that I have heard of is the meds. Dr. Phil was talking about doing MRIs and other things like that to see the brain waves in children. He had a doc. that said there is deffinatly a way to know whether a child has ADHD using these methods. Rather than just sitting and talking to them and diagnosing them then throwing them on meds the way phsych. docs. do so much these days. And I was just wondering if they do the same thing for adults. The Dr. Phil show was only talking about children. Nothing about adults.

Beth

P.S.
    I hope that Jessesmom sees the info you gave me also!!

Last edited by Administrator; 09-29-2004 at 11:34 PM.

Old 10-05-2004, 01:32 PM   #9
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Jessesmom...do you know the name of the book by Dr. frank Lawlis? Would appreciate it if you'd let me know...thanks...Goody

Old 10-16-2004, 07:57 AM   #10
    Kimmy26

Kimmy26 HB User
    Exclamation Re: Did anyone watch DR. Phil on ADHD?

I didn't watch the show, but my child was diagnosed really early with severe ADHD, she was diagnosed at the age of 4 and yes are doctor did all the test he did a brain scan, mri, ekg, eeg, and also sent her to a therapist. I was really concerned because she was so young, but she was getting in major trouble in headstart, but hurting other children and herself. But the doctor assured me by her brain scans she definitely had ADHD. So we tried adjusting the types of foods she ate and after several months we still didn't see know difference then we finally had to medicate her, she does somewhat better on medication, but still takes rages.

Old 10-16-2004, 09:56 AM   #11
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

I also saw that show........it was very informative. I would think anyone could get these tests done...........no matter where they live.....ask your doctor.......also, the meds they put these kids on are now always safe. They do have long term affects on them also. I don't care what they say. the no appetite is one of the side effects........I wouldn't use them unless I absolutely had to........

Closed Thread