It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• a lot of people here have head pressure. does anyone have a solution?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2004, 04:25 PM   #1
    foshizzle

foshizzle HB User
    a lot of people here have head pressure. does anyone have a solution?

i think the title says it all.

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2004, 06:37 PM   #2
    Kamden
    Veteran

Kamden HB User
    Re: a lot of people here have head pressure. does anyone have a solution?

Yea, I have it two separate times in my life and it comes from two different sources. One is from severe allergies. I feel very out of it like I am drunk and have alot of pressure in my head. Allegra helps me immensely. The other was after I was in a car accident and ended up with whiplash and strained my neck muscles pretty bad. Physical therapy took care of it then.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:26 PM   #3
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

I went to see my shrink today. I've been having this problem with head pressure ever since I came out of amphetamine addiction. Amphetamines are known to tighten up muscles, and this gets worse if you're also stationary/sedentary for long periods of time while in a regimen of abuse (even if you're not using any substance that tightens muscles, being sedentary too much stiffens up the body as well.) And at the time I was *very* sedentary, and because of depression, I still am to some extent, but not as much.

My original thoughts about this pressure I get in the neck and the head, which gets aggravated by diet and especially use of any drugs, never included this theory that tightened/underused muscles could be the culprit for these annoying sensations. I always thought, scary as it is, that I damaged either the blood vessels in the brain or the CNS system from amphetamine use and other drugs I used less frequently.

Could it be possible that stiffened muscles could cause longterm spasms/feelings of pressure in the affected area? This has been going on for at least three months with me, and the pressure is either staying the same, or getting slightly worse.

How could I find out if tightened muscles is the cause? Would trying a muscle relaxant medication like Flexeril be a good idea, just to see if the pressure is reduced?

I really do need some responses here. After ruling out several other possibilities, my shrink is suggesting this theory that these symptoms are caused by muscle tightness/spasms as opposed to brain or cerebrovascular damage.

Anyone tried Flexeril? Any other ideas about this?

Old 10-16-2004, 06:57 AM   #4
    Kamden
    Veteran

Kamden HB User

Hi Bill, muscle relaxers did nothing for me when I had this problem. Only hands on kneading the knots and tension out by a therapist helped me. You can ask to have your neck, and upper back checked by a therapist or a neuro. BTW, these spots are called trigger poinhts, you need to ask specifically to have them checked. What happens if when they are pressed on, they bring on your symptoms, this is how they find out the source. Here is how the therapist explained it to me. When you have a deep muscle strain, where it is pulled or stretched too much, it tightens back up into a knot. Untill this is taken care of, the person will continue to have symptoms that come and go and move around, and this can and does go on for months and months, it did to me also. I spent months in therapy for my neck because my neck was in bad shap. I also had relapses if I over stretched these muscles again, yet ran to the doctor instead of therapy because the symptoms can really fool a person. I had no neck pain at the time I went back to the doc., just light headedness, pressure, dizzy spells. I had ignored very obvious symptoms of neck pain and stiffness weeks before this, so all it did was settle deeper ( I thought it went away ) and i then went on to have other less obvious symptoms, and running to the doc who thought i had a virus. The muscles in our necks are connected to our skull naturally, and when one muscle is knotted or strained, it pulls the ones next to it taut, and can be the cause of constant pressure. I had severe whiplash from a car accident, I had no broken bones, but my symptoms included many things I never would have thought of, such as light headedness, pressure in my head, a knot or lump in my scalp, an off balance feeling. If deep muscle problems are the source, no medicine will help, I know because I was in treatments for months. It may help with the pain a bit, but in the end, physical therapy by a person who does deep soft tissue work is what works best. I hope you find help. Good luck.

Old 10-16-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
    lillypad
    Veteran
    (female)

lillypad HB User

Could it be possible that stiffened muscles could cause longterm spasms/feelings of pressure in the affected area? This has been going on for at least three months with me, and the pressure is either staying the same, or getting slightly worse.

In my situation, yes! I finally got relief with botox treatments. Then my neuro suggested pilates. I started on the reformer - you can search on the net and see the equipment. I worked with a pilates trainer for months and now I do mat pilates at home following a video.

I wouldn't have been able to start the excercise without the botox, though.

Old 10-16-2004, 08:46 PM   #6
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

But I was not in a car accident, and I'm a guy, so I am not going to get botox treatments for anything.

What could the problem be? Just sitting and lying around a lot, and a period of addiction to a muscle-agitating drug, could really cause this INTENSE pressure? It feels like something is moving around in my head all the time, tonight it feels like something wants to tear itself or burst inside my head... seriously.

And this is especially pronounced any time I have a stimulant drug, such as a lot of caffeine. As I said before, this crap started happening after I used hard stimulants (amphetamines), so I don't know how this is connected. I don't use amphetamines anymore, I don't smoke, don't drink, and the worst habit I have is that I take one mega-dose of caffeine every day (about 400mg.) This exacerbates my strange symptoms, esp. the pressure, but I can't give everything up. If you don't smoke, you probably drink; if you don't drink, you probably drink coffee. I'm in the latter category--I can't give up stimulants completely.

My doctor doubts this could be related to my blood vessels, and doubts I damaged my blood vessels with amphetamines. I'm young and never went above prescribed dosage, although the method of administration was improper and designed to create a faster buzz (I would crush up the Dexedrine spansules and dissolve in water.) How could amphetamines damage the CNS system at such a young age?

Do blood clots cause feelings of pressure in the head? What could be going wrong here? One thing is for sure: my blood pressure is normal. Doctors just don't know what to tell me. Please, I need anyone who reads this to tell me what could possibly be wrong, or some direction to take.

I have no health coverage, so I cannot see a neurologist. Is there anyone else I could see who could possibly help me--besides a medical doctor or shrink, they are out of ideas with me!!!--without charging way too much?

And.. obviously, I was a self-destructive drug addict, so I am not anti-drug. But If I can help anyone else, I think this message is pretty implicit about what *could* happen if you start abusing dangerous stimulants. I would not want someone else to go through what I did, and end up making doctors scratch their heads once something goes wrong. I'm in a bad state, and can't really hold up with full employment because I'm mentally slower and this pressure disorients me at times. So, just be aware.

Anyway, I really do need more input here... please. Even if you have no answers, I'd love an honest opinion.

Old 10-16-2004, 09:23 PM   #7
    lillypad
    Veteran
    (female)

lillypad HB User

The botox was in my neck and head to relieve the muscle spasms, not for cosmetic reasons. Worked for me.

Old 10-17-2004, 09:04 PM   #8
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

I might add that in addition to the head pressure (which is of course the main symptom, the most noticeable in my "mystery condition), I also have a lot of digestive oddities going on.

Although this is not the board to describe digestive-type problems, I am hoping maybe the other side of the symptoms I'm getting can help someone make a connection and come up with a better hypothesis about what I'm experiencing. If we rule out a blood clot, blood vessel damage, cardiovascular problems, or just plain muscle stiffness/spasms, there's nothing left to suggest (as I'm a healthy 23 year old male) wrong with me unless one of you can form a theory stemming from the "other side" of my symptoms.

I have *very* inconsistent bowel movements, extreme constipation (it was never this way before this condition began), inconsistent frequency of urination, occasional stomach pain.

The reason I am perhaps suggesting the problem is digestive in origin is because *all* symptoms are either changed or aggravated anytime I eat or drink anything, most especially with the use of stomach aggravating drugs, such as caffeine. Anytime I have a large meal, the pressure in my head gets worse; likewise with large amounts of caffeine. Amphetamines--especially the way I used them--are *very* irritating to the stomach, as well.

So if I got an ulcer, or a perforation in the stomach, could a whole set of strange physiological symptoms result? I read that if an ulcer goes untreated for a long enough time, anemia can result. I HAVE noticed, that when this condition is at its very worse, my skin gets very pale and "dirty" looking and I have NO appetite whatsoever, and I am *extremely* disoriented and nauseous. This is usually brought on by heavy use of drugs such as alcohol or amphetamines, but since I no longer use either, I have not had an episode like that since, where I'm unable to do anything for a whole day. But, I still am mildly disoriented at times every day, especially in conjuction with the degree of pressure in my head.

So, the question is, COULD a digestive problem caused by extreme stomach irritation possibly result in symptoms that occur all over the body, as opposed to just in the stomach area? I know very little about anemia, but I know it can be caused by ulcers.. could anemia possibly cause feelings of pressure in the head?

I am aware that not many of you really know much about all this, but I am trying every day to think of a better self-diagnosis for my problems, because I cannot afford to get tested for everything in the book--I have no health insurance BECAUSE I can't get fulltime employment with this condition, due to the unpredictability of the symptoms on a day-to-day basis.

My goal is to come up with a probable root cause for what I'm experiencing, so that whoever sees me has a better idea of the probable cure for the problem(s).

Please reply here with some insight, I am desperate for all the comments I can get. Please, anyone who reads this.

Old 10-18-2004, 04:54 PM   #9
    foshizzle

foshizzle HB User

Mr. Zenith,

Like you I abused drugs (my contraband of choice was cocaine and ecstasy). This strange, pressure like sensation emerged virtually instantaneously, after a binge period and when i contracted a virus. I have had 3 ct scans, 2 mris, an eeg, bloodwork, and countless other tests -- physiologically, there is absolutely nothing wrong with me. My doctors attribute it wholly to anxiety issues -- although no quintessential ones are present with me (ie, shortness of breath, panic attacks). I have found that a combination of effexor xr (to help with concentration), abilify (to help with depersonalization) and topamax (for the pressure) have helped significantly but have njot eliminated the problemm entirely.

Old 10-18-2004, 06:54 PM   #10
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by foshizzle
    Mr. Zenith,

Like you I abused drugs (my contraband of choice was cocaine and ecstasy). This strange, pressure like sensation emerged virtually instantaneously, after a binge period and when i contracted a virus. I have had 3 ct scans, 2 mris, an eeg, bloodwork, and countless other tests -- physiologically, there is absolutely nothing wrong with me. My doctors attribute it wholly to anxiety issues -- although no quintessential ones are present with me (ie, shortness of breath, panic attacks). I have found that a combination of effexor xr (to help with concentration), abilify (to help with depersonalization) and topamax (for the pressure) have helped significantly but have njot eliminated the problemm entirely.
    How has Topamax helped with the pressure? The only prescription drug I take is Paxil 30mg every day.. is there any interaction between these two?

I find it interesting that you mention you take Topamax. My shrink suggested Topamax could, conceivably, fix this problem of pressure in the head, but I don't know how it could help.

I may end up trying Topamax, but I'd like to hear back from you on this board first. Please reply... and anyone else who has used Topamax, I'd like to hear from you too.

Old 10-18-2004, 07:03 PM   #11
    foshizzle

foshizzle HB User

maybe its just a psychosomatic thing with me...but it seems to alleviate some of the pressure. HOWEVER, if you subscribe to the theory that this is anxiety basd, then the effexor and abilify are whats helping. Too much topamax leads to mental malaise...reminiscent of anxiety symptoms (ie poor concentration, light headedness). I dont know if its the topamax or the other stuff, but the head pressure is definitely getting better now that im on the meds...there is also a high correlation between stress levels (for me) and the head pressure

Old 10-18-2004, 07:50 PM   #12
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

I just don't know what the hell to do. ALL drugs make this pressure in my head worse. Paxil, caffeine, alcohol. And food. Eating anything makes it worse, drinking anything makes it worse. Amphetamines cause SO much pressure in my head that I no longer feel it, it transfers into my cardiovascular system and I start getting chest pressure and pains and cardiac arrythmia, etc. Any time I use heavy stimulants now, the pressure gets so bad that I can't feel anything with my head. If I touch my head when its like this, it feels like I'm touching someone else's hair, etc.

There's so many little variations and detours on these symptoms depending on circumstances, it'd be impossible for me to list them all. The only thing I DO KNOW for sure is that eating, drinking, and ESP. using drugs--ANY drugs--makes this problem worse. And that I have it every day, 24 hours a day, when I get up, when I go to sleep, when I'm trying to sleep (which SUX), when I'm talking to friends and family, when I'm in the bathroom, when i'm on the phone, and when I'm outside the house.

I can't afford to get even ONE MRI because of no insurance. My only chances are twofold: 1) Have my shrink prescribe something that is LIKELY to help reduce some of the pressure in my head, 2) Find out, from exhaustive research and hypotheses, what is MOST LIKELY wrong with me, and take it from there. Neither option has been exercised because of lack of supporting evidence that indicates any clear plan.

Those are my only two options. If he prescribes something like an anti-convulsant or a Flexeril and it doesn't work, then I'm again stuck with option two, which really sucks. I am NOT used to living life with physiological abnormalities that get in the way of thinking and doing things properly. I used to be fine.

I am so sick of all this crap happening to me. I want to give up, jump off a building, because i am just NOT myself with these odd symptoms holding me down all the time.

If there is a doctor on this board, or aspiring physician or neurologist, what could the link between INTENSE head pressure, chest tightness/pains, and inconsistent digestive problems be? Keep in mind that drugs make everything worse.

I know no one can tell me what I have. But I need some ideas. I won't insult anyone if you have an idea that I think is off the mark. I just need more ideas.

Please. Please? Okay.. pretty please?

thanx again

Old 10-19-2004, 08:07 PM   #13
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Come on... anyone!?! Please.

Old 10-20-2004, 05:02 AM   #14
    Kamden
    Veteran

Kamden HB User

Bill, the digestive problems may not be related to your head pressure. Since the doctor can find nothing wrong and thinks it may be related to your neck muscles, I would get them checked either by your regular doctor or a physical therapist. You can do a few simple tests on yourself to see if this may be the source. One is giving yourself a firm neck massage, this is not meant to help you, because the problem is usually too severe to be helped by a massage, but to see if any of the symptoms are aggravated in any way. You can feel your own neck muscles by pressing firmly on them in different areas, including the shoulder muscles, and the upper back. If this is the source, you will know pretty quick because your head pressure would get worse, or the pressure would bring on other symptoms. Remember, these muscles are usually pretty deep so you have to put a good amt. of pressure even with a massage. If you go back to the doctor or a therapist, ask to have your trigger points checked. All this is, is the doctor puts pressure on certain spots and if this is the cause, it will bring on or aggravate your symptoms. It is pretty easy and simple to have this checked. I would start here. This is a very common problem for doctors to overlook and not think of because it can cause such a wide variety of symptoms, sometimes seemingly vague ones. At one time there was a guy on here who had been diagnosed with menieres disease. He had been living this way for 2 years. I told him of my experience and suggested he see a neuro. and have his trigger points checked, he was shocked and elated to find out after seeing the neuro. that all of his symptoms ( head pressure, dizzy spells, light headedness etc. ) were coming from these deep muscles, not an incurable disease. Hope this helps you just a bit.

Old 10-20-2004, 05:19 AM   #15
    Kamden
    Veteran

Kamden HB User

Go to google and type in trigger points or trigger point therapy. This will give you an idea of what i am talking about. I read up on it even though I know about it from my own experience and notice they don't name half the symptoms I had. I had alot of head pressure, dizzy spells and light headedness. You can have this problem without having pain, which is what I had, so it took months to figure out the source of mine.

Closed Thread